• This topic has 33 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bri-72.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA : £25 Maxxis Minion DHR / Assegai / DHF
  • frogstomp

Idly browsing while it’s raining and spotted my ‘standard’ Assegai / DHR combo in the Ribble sale for £24.99 a pop.

EXO casing and probably only dual compound in the 29″ but fine for my intended usage. 27.5″ are DHF / DHR and MaxxTerra but 2.6 only.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

These PSA are going to cost me a fortune 🙂
    Thanks ordered a couple of minions

honourablegeorge

They are all OEM dual dompound Exo in 29, both the DHR and Assegai. Didnt think a dual dompound Assegai existed, but it does.

coconut
    Free Member

The 29/2.5 Front Tyre is advertised as a weight of “: 2941g”. That can’t be right? Even is that’s a typo and they mean for a pair… that’ still one very heavy tyre.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/p/MXOETYMF125000000000/assegai-29×2-50-front-tyre-foldable-60tpi-exo-tr

frogstomp

The 29/2.5 Front Tyre is advertised as a weight of “: 2941g”. That can’t be right?

I think they’ve just quoted off the Maxxis site, which only seems to list the DH casing version. EXO version is just over 1000g.

oldfart

Thanks OP 👍 Assegai and Minion ordered 👍 might not be the bells n whistles version but at those prices 👍

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Thanks OP!

bri-72

I got a week or so back. Assegai is just EXO TR version and single compound AFAIK. 1118g on my scales in 29×2.5.

Always a 3C DHF user but found it plenty good in todays snow and ice.

Northwind

As long as you don’t need a tougher carcass that minion there’s pretty much the rear tyre. Great PSA.

drew

Thanks OP! Assegai and Minion ordered to replace the Rekon and Dissector on my Orbea Rise.

oldfart

drew that’s spooky exactly same here ! Stock tyres are still working for me but getting Maxxis at those prices would be rude not to 👍

joebristol

Is this Assegai any good or too hard a compound on the front?

chrisyork

Flippin heck 2.6! Not sure they’d fit in our Thule 598 rack! 😂

joebristol

2.6” Magic Mary fits fine in a Thule 598 and that’s a chunky tyre.

frogstomp

Depends what your use case is I guess.. I’m an average rider (at best) and have had no issues with them riding mostly dry off-piste stuff this year. I switched from a DHF and much prefer the Assegai. I imagine the improved longevity is a big plus on a rear tyre.

andybrad

ordered thanks

kelvin

Anyone know which compound it is on the Assegai?

joebristol

I think it’s just dual compound – although it’s oem so it’s probably hard to say – it doesn’t claim a compound.

I’m going to give it a swerve and keep looking for a deal on a 3c max terra one I think. Or try a Conti Kryptotal perhaps.

honourablegeorge

kelvin

Anyone know which compound it is on the Assegai?

I have one in the shed from first time this PSA was posted, it’s a dual compound OEM tyre

Northwind

joebristol

So basically, I’d say if the assegai tread is right on the front then the dual compound’s wrong. If the dual compound is right, then it’s too much tread. I don’t think there’s much of an overlap, any time i want that much tread grip I 100% want at least maxxterra but I’d prefer maxxgrip tbh.

But, £25 is £25, so imo it’s definitely not an ideal combo but the compromise could be worth the cheapness?

Kryton57

Would the Minion be £25 better in any way than a nearly new Dissector for general trail duties?

frogstomp

Mine have just turned up. Both the DHR (29×2.4) and Assegai (29×2.5) are white logo OEM versions and weigh ~1040g and ~1100g respectively. The DHR is the exact same weight as a non-OEM one I have to hand.

oldfart

frogstomp I ordered mine the day the PSA was put up , I’ve not even received an E mail to say they’ve been dispatched? Did you or did yours just turn up ?

frogstomp

@oldfart – no I didn’t get any notifications bar the order placement. Check the status on your Ribble account order page.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

My Ribble account shows the order is processing/ picking.

We’ll just have to wait and see if they turn up

oldfart

frogstomp turned up this afternoon 👍

joelowden

Got mine two days ago 👍

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

My tyres have arrived this morning 👍

stevemorg2

still waiting for mine

joebristol

I wish I’d picked up a dhr2 29×2.4 in this deal now. All sold out! Local woods are proper sloppy now and my 2.3 was struggling for drive where the 2.4 would probably have dug deeper with the bigger blocks

DickBarton

Or it would have floated more and given even less grip…

joebristol

@dickbarton

Or it would have floated more and given even less grip

Not my experience with the 650b version of the dhr2. The 2.4” one has significantly bigger blocks / knobs on it and gives both better drive and better braking than the 2.3” one.

hainman
    Free Member

Anyone who bought the Assegai
    Do you have any ride time on the tyre and is it any good in this weather
    I’ve not put mine on yet and with my riding steep rooty rocky and muddy I wondered if it will be any better than the DHF maxxterra I have on just now

bri-72

I’ve used Assegsai on a few wet rooty muddy rides. Seems to have coped fine even tho it’s not 3C version. Better in mud than DHF in my view.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.