• This topic has 552 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 553 total)
  • PS5 or Xbox Series X
  • Kuco

I’m tempted to jump to a PS5 after years of Xbox.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It looks like a lego batman

Drac

chomp
    Free Member

That article regarding series S not being backwards compatible is horribly written/headlined.

All it’s saying is that if there’s a game with Xbox one X enhancements (resolution mainly) then the Series S wont be able to take advantage of them, it will run the regular Xbox One backwards compatible version. It will likely still have better loading times etc owing to the SSD.

P-Jay
    Free Member

That article regarding series S not being backwards compatible is horribly written/headlined.

All it’s saying is that if there’s a game with Xbox one X enhancements (resolution mainly) then the Series S wont be able to take advantage of them, it will run the regular Xbox One backwards compatible version. It will likely still have better loading times etc owing to the SSD.

Yeah, trying to strip away a lot of the hyperbole, I’d say it means it will run previous Xbox gen games at 1440p rather than 4k. Which isn’t surprising given it’s a 1440p machine really.

MS may be being a little coy on it because they’ll want to sell the idea of this huge chasm of performance between the two generations, the idea that the cheap one is less powerful than the old expensive one muddies that, it might also raise the question of why the Xbox One X couldn’t run Series X games is the Series X S can.

Xbox naming is really stupid isn’t it.

Drac

Yeah it’s a clumsy click bait article looking back at it. Sorry guys. 😕

BillOddie

We have both the current Gen XBOX and PS4 in our house.

Neither is perfect to be honest, the XBOX controllers seem to be criminally fragile (and have a 90 day warranty).

PSN seems to be less reliable than XBOX live.

We’ll probably wait until one of the consoles dies or we can’t get the next “must have” game on the current console.

Cougar

XBOX controllers seem to be criminally fragile

What are you doing with them?

(and have a 90 day warranty).

They are still bound by the Consumer Rights Act. Any warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, not instead of them.

Drac

PSN seems to be less reliable than XBOX live.

Its rare for PSN to go down for any length of time, only time I can recall was the DOS attack some years ago.

Kuco

I find my XBOX controller is always losing connection with the Xbox.

Cougar

Only time that ever happens to me is if I go out of range (ie, essentially leave the room carrying it).

Kuco

Even does it with a new controller as I thought it was the controller knackered.

BillOddie

What are you doing with them?

Not me the kids… the headphone jack port is a known weakness apparently…

Drac

Behold.

Cougar

Side by side like that, it looks like they designed the digital-only PS5 first and then went “right, how TF are we going to add an optical drive?” Should’ve stuck with one console and made the drive an external add-on.

gauss1777
    Free Member

From the Guardian:
    The PlayStation 5 is out November 12th in the US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea

-For the rest of us in the UK and Europe it will be out on November 19th

-The price is £449/$499/499 euros (digital-only edition at £359/$399/399 euros)

For comparison:
    -The Xbox Series S is an entry-level version of the new Xbox that will cost £249. It has no disc drive and cannot play games in 4K.

-The Xbox Series X will cost £449 and outputs in 4K, and has a disc drive

A full-fat PS5, hopefully bundled with the upcoming COD Cold War, is now on my (pre) Christmas wishlist 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

At least they’ve made it worth comparing.

If you’ve got a pile of PS / Xbox games in your house / online library that you want to play on your new machine, I can’t really see the point in jumping ship, there’s not much in the performance or price.

Where is gets interesting is the ‘lite’ models – both are digital only, which is a deal breaker for me, but the PS is the full baller edition, the Xbox is a lower powered one. If you don’t have a 4K TV it doesn’t really matter, if you do the PS costs more.

I’ve very tempted by an Xbox X.

molgrips
    Free Member

But it’s not just 4k is it? The lower power model will surely have worse graphics, as was the case for PS4/PS4 Pro?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Managed to bag a Pre-order full fat PS5 from Amazon this morning with very little refreshing.
    Looking forward to it as our house is still rocking a PS3.
    Now do we wait until Christmas before unboxing it?….

BillOddie

Now do we wait until Christmas before unboxing it?….

Yes, if only to download the inevitable system update and to download/install some games onto it.

PSN/XOBOX LIve is always aching slow on Christmas Day.

julians
    Free Member

I think I’ll wait until there’s a discernible difference in games when played on the xbox one x versus the series x – maybe that’ll be from day 1, maybe it’ll take 12 months for the series x to start demonstrating a serious gap/lead from the one x.

5lab

also grabbed a ps5 pre-order from amazon thismorning. Haven’t yet bought another controller though – £60??

the COD gameplay looks amazing..

ta11pau1

PS5 full fat pre-ordered from Currys this afternoon. Job jobbed!

P-Jay
    Free Member

But it’s not just 4k is it? The lower power model will surely have worse graphics, as was the case for PS4/PS4 Pro?

It’s hard to say really, and more so it’s probably harder to see.

I suspect they’ll both produce the same level of detail and texture quality and they both run 60fps perfectly well.

The Series X will do it all in 4k, the S is pegged at 1440.

Actual real-world performance will be a different thing, some simpler games I’m sure they’ll look identical, it’ll be the big AAA titles coming a year from now that might make the difference, also whilst the S is pegged to 1440 and 60fps which is more then adequate now… the X can do 120fps and 8K (maybe not at the same time) and it’s got a 4x more powerful GPU to do it.

But at this point you’re well into PC gaming levels of geekdom, can you really tell the difference between 120fs and 60fps when you’re actually playing a game, or just went you’re nerding out and want to see some stats?

TBH, I bought a 4K TV about 2 years ago, it was very wow when I bought it, these days I really can’t see the difference between 4k and HD on most things, it certainly can’t make a bad film good or vice versa and I’m sure games will be the same.

Drac

Curry’s cancelled my queue position with a minute to go. Rejoined but they’ve sold out.

jimdubleyou

I’ve been slow on the uptake, everything was gone by the time I looked this morning.

Argos go live at 9am Friday apparently…

ta11pau1

Amazon will likely get more stock allocation over the next few days/weeks, but going by the pre-order numbers on Currys, they’ve done 12,000 in the space of a couple of hours…

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve just pre-ordered a full-fat PS5 from the local Game shop 😀. Early birthday present!

jimdubleyou

they’ve done 12,000 in the space of a couple of hours…

I suspect there’s more than a few people that have not used all of their “entertainment” budgets this year.

Drac

12,000? That’s more than the Xbox One total sales. 😂

gauss1777
    Free Member

😂

Garry_Lager

Did ye see the Demon Souls trailer yesterday? Good Lord that backstab is a thing of beauty. Wasn’t in a mad hurry to get the PS5 but having second thoughts now.

Cougar

Just watched that trailer.

Honestly, I’m kinda underwhelmed. It didn’t tear my eyes out as I was expecting and the gameplay looked kinda repetitive and generic. There’s nothing there I’ve not seen a hundred times over aside from the Shadow of the Colossus-esque boss monsters.

Plus the fact it’s called Demon’s Souls and not Demons’ Souls irks me.

Cougar

This, on the other hand, looks bloody brilliant.

Garry_Lager

Just watched that trailer.

Honestly, I’m kinda underwhelmed. It didn’t tear my eyes out as I was expecting and the gameplay looked kinda repetitive and generic. There’s nothing there I’ve not seen a hundred times over aside from the Shadow of the Colossus-esque boss monsters.

Plus the fact it’s called Demon’s Souls and not Demons’ Souls irks me.

Is that generic like the Beatles sound generic nowadays? Sound just like all these other 100s of bands, heard it 100 times before – don’t understand what the big deal is.

tbf it’s a big challenge for Bluepoint, a remake that looks fantastic and smooth but is essentially the same game underneath – the safe bet. Or really try and capture all of the innovation that OG Demon Souls inspired and take it somewhere different, with the corresponding risk of falling flat on their faces.

ta11pau1

The gameplay may not be to your or my liking (remember it’s a remake of the original so the gameplay is the same), you have to admit it looks fantastic, especially for a launch game.

jimdubleyou

Argos go live at 9am Friday apparently…

Duff gen – it’s midnight tonight…

ta11pau1

Duff gen – it’s midnight tonight…

Might be midnight, might be 3am, might be 9am:

Pre orders for the PS5 will be available as of 18/09/20 however I’m afraid we cannot yet advise of a specific time. Updates to the website usually occur from midnight onward so this will likely be some time in the early morning.

Cougar

The gameplay may not be to your or my liking (remember it’s a remake of the original so the gameplay is the same)

To be fair, whilst I thought it sounded vaguely familiar I didn’t actually know it was a remake. It’s more understandable that it looks like ten-year old gameplay if it is in fact a ten year old game!

molgrips
    Free Member

But at this point you’re well into PC gaming levels of geekdom, can you really tell the difference between 120fs and 60fps when you’re actually playing a game, or just went you’re nerding out and want to see some stats?

Draw distance and lighting will be different. They are on PS4 vs PS4 Pro.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 553 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.