• This topic has 552 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 553 total)
  • PS5 or Xbox Series X
  • gauss1777
    Free Member

I play on my PS4 a lot and I’ve no real need for a new console. I also know that one should get what one’s friends have. But, I have no friends and I have an itch to spoil myself. So, if you were choosing solely on the merits of the console, which one do you think you’d choose and why? What features of either might sway you?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

PS5. Always PlayStation.

rydster
    Free Member

I’d personally er on the side of Xbox ‘cos I like the ecosystem and the Game Pass is a very good deal, but there is probably no right answer.

cb

Pretty sure some games have cross play between platforms now. COD certainly seems to, no idea what kind of magic is involved but it happens

winrya
    Free Member

As you seem to be a PlayStation man id stay stick with what you know and step up to the ps5. I’ve always owned an Xbox one and PS4 since they launched, upgraded both to the PS4 pro and the one x but always found myself using the PS4 more of the time. The Xbox one x is in theory technically superior but I just felt more comfortable in the PlayStation eco system. I’ve actually sold the Xbox during lockdown as demand outstripped supply and prices rocketed. I’m going to stick to just PlayStation in the future. I’ll miss forza horizon and gears but it’s the only 2 series of games exclusive to Xbox that I enjoy

olddog

Xbox for me, but not at launch this time! I’ve got got both now but only use PS4 for exclusives – the Xbox controller is much better for my big man hamds

Drac

PS5 for me as I’ve been using PS exclusively since PS4 the sales figures speak volumes. Xbox backward compatibility is far better though but then I play old games from time to time only to wonder why.

halifaxpete

PS5/Series X out now then? Christ I’m behind the times. Got a XBox One S (mainly cos I’m a forza nerd) but prefer the PS4 overall TBH, so I’ll probs got PS5 next.

loum
    Free Member

Think the Xbox will work with current controllers so that saves a bit.
    Don’t know about the PS

tomhoward

PS5/Series X out now then?

No, launches due next week iirc. Out in time for an Xmas price war.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Think the Xbox will work with current controllers so that saves a bit.
    Don’t know about the PS

That would be a definite bonus, I don’t think Sony have said whether PS4 controllers will work on the PS5, yet.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Halo, end of thread 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Erm…

I’ve got an Xbox One so it would make sense to get another Xbox.

If it wasn’t for that I’d go PlayStation, I still haven’t gotten over the fact the Xbox controllers aren’t rechargeable out of the box. Madness.

TBH I probably won’t bother straight away, a new rockstar game will probably tempt me but the only 4k screen I’ve got is the main TV in the living room and trying to get any time on that is nye on impossible. A new 4K TV monitor + new console is going to be a £1k mission I’d guess, that’s a lot of riding stuff for something I’ll get to use once a week.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I still haven’t gotten over the fact the Xbox controllers aren’t rechargeable out of the box. Madness.

Not really, it takes 30s to swap a fresh set of AAs versus how long to charge a controller? Everyone I know who had rechargeable packs eventually resorted to a play and charge wire rendering the whole exercise a waste of time. Plus AAs aren’t proprietary and therefore aren’t expensive.

Drac

Halo, end of thread

Massively overrated generic FPS.

Drac

Thursday will provide some details  PS upgrading the controllers so probably not backward compatible but interestingly they’re adding an adapter for PS4 soon I wonder if it’s to allow them to be compatible.

rydster
    Free Member

The Xbox Game Pass makes available a lot of first-party AAA games from day one which you can download and store locally. This is the deal-maker for me, although I also own a PS4 now which I got to play Death Stranding. I feel Game Pass is better than PS Now.

mehr
    Free Member

The back button thing has been out for ages @Drac

At this point i’d rather just spend the money on a gaming PC, as good as some games look they’re streets behind what you can do on PC, plus you don’t have to pay for a subscription

Drac

Didn’t know it has been launched already mehr.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Massively overrated generic FPS.

With a very loyal fan base 😉

Drac

Definitely has that.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s not the best FPS by a long shot, but for me (apart from Counter-Strike) it got me hooked to the genre. I’ve invested a fair chunk of time and money into the franchise and I’m not bored of it yet.

I can remember selling my SNES to buy a PS one, but nothing came close to when I opened that Xbox on Christmas Day and loaded Halo. I’ll always be an Xbox fanboi.

Drac

I can see why with such sentimental reasons I found it nothing special despite being given the game for free.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The anniversary edition is actually really good, yes it’s a total reskin but actually showcases how good the game was as its not really aged at all in terms of gameplay.

Halo MCE, another vote for Gold/Gamepass (former gives you PC access as well). I can see seamless cross platform play before long, if the Series X had mouse support it would be a no brainer for me.

ogden
    Free Member

Cough….gaming pc…..cough.

I went PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 then PS4. Tbh I don’t really play them anymore but I did build a nice pc that I can get the odd cheap game from steam on and much prefer that.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Why either? You know the price will drop rapidly and the games will be slow to come out. Just wait until there is a game that requires the new system otherwise you are just throwing money away.

My son is the gamer in our house and he is hammering COD Warzone. When he doesn’t play that its Minecraft which works on his XBox 360.

baboonz
    Free Member

I would not buy a console until it has at 1 or 2 years of release. That being said, whilst the 360 was imho the winnner of that gen, PS4 is the winner of this generation. Point is, wait and see what games come out. If you want graphics, buy a pc.

v7fmp

i’m a xbox fanboi, so will definitely have an order in for the new one.

Although I will take a look at the PS5, you never know!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really, it takes 30s to swap a fresh set of AAs versus how long to charge a controller?

It’s madness because you need to keep buying AAs and throwing the old ones away. Do you not see how that’s a problem?

As for how long it takes to charge – no time at all since you plug it in when you’re done and you pick it up again when you start. Lasts plenty long enough for any kind of healthy gaming session.

rossburton
    Free Member

Technically they’re going to be very similar, close enough that it’s not worth making a call now based on what we know.

I’ll be getting a PS5 when the price has dropped enough just because I really want to play Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 and I’ve a horrible feeling it’s going to be PS5-exclusive.

I still haven’t gotten over the fact the Xbox controllers aren’t rechargeable out of the box. Madness.

Wait what? Seriously? That’s just mental.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wait what? Seriously? That’s just mental.

Yeah it’s the wasteful nature of it that bothers me I guess. I hardly use mine, I bought a strip of Supermarket spec AAs 2 years ago and I’ve not used all of them yet. My son though games constantly and would burn through a pair in a few days. I bought him a knock-off wired controller in the end.

You can play with it plugged into a micro USB connection, but it’s not the most robust of connections and often will disconnect etc. There are after-market rechargeable packs you can buy, they don’t cost much but are mostly the non-branded Amazon stuff that’s often a bit hit and miss, the official Microsoft ones are £30 I think. You could buy normal rechargeable AAs of course.

Really though it’s a nasty cost-cutting thing, I’m sure there’s a hell of a fight between Sony and Microsoft to get their machine out first / undercut the other, but however easy it is to replace them, buy rechargeable kits etc a lot of people are just going to buy a lot of AAs.

I mean they’ve sold around 50 million Xbox ones over it’s lifetime. That’s 100 million AA batteries produced alone that will end up in landfill or need recycling, but the true number is likely to be many multiples of that.

Like lots of other things the Console wars are very Tribal, so if you mention it online you’ll always get some Xbox fanboi claiming it’s the better solution some-how. They should be rechargeable though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chances of cheap PS4 Pros coming on the s/h market?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yep. Madness.

We have three Xboxes with five controllers between them.

It’s cost me about sixty quid in rechargeable battery packs and my youngest one always forgets to plug his in and still burns his way through AA’s like they are going out of fashion.

They should come with swappable battery packs out of the box.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They should come with swappable battery packs out of the box.

Or just internal rechargeable cells like pretty much every other portable consumer device.

It’s not like they’re cheap either at £50 a pop.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Chances of cheap PS4 Pros coming on the s/h market?

Fairly likely I think.

I’m tempted by an Xbox One X if it’s cheap enough, I fancy another go at RDR2 in 4k.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I was signed up for a project scorpio then changed my mind last minute. I’ll wait until the new xbox launches and pick up a one x with a heap of games for a bargain price when the early adopters sell, or the shops try to clear out old stock sharpish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I bought a One X at the start of lockdown for £259 with Forza Horizon 4.

Cougar

It’s madness because you need to keep buying AAs and throwing the old ones away. Do you not see how that’s a problem?

You do realise that rechargeable AAs exist, yes? This isn’t a failure of technology.

My original 360 came with a “play and charge” kit, a rechargeable battery pack and proprietary cable. After the third one packed in I switched to AAs and never looked back. I can readily see why MS dropped the idea of bundling them.

It’s cost me about sixty quid in rechargeable battery packs and my youngest one always forgets to plug his in and still burns his way through AA’s like they are going out of fashion.

And that isn’t a failing of technology either. If you’ve already invested in the battery packs you could still just get a couple of rechargeable AAs for those “oops” moments.

Eneloops come in at like ten quid for 4 and once charged will hold their charge indefinitely just sitting in a drawer. For 60 quid you could have equipped five controllers twice over and still have change to buy a charger.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, but you realise that Sony managed make all of their wireless controllers rechargeable from Day 1? They’re also slightly cheaper to buy too.

Cougar

As for the OP’s question.

I don’t really have any blinkered brand loyalty. I’ve owned consoles from both Team Green and Team Blue previously. What I do have however is like two years’ worth of Ultimate subscription (Xbox Gold and Game Pass) remaining from when they were giving it away for something silly like £1/month so if I was to upgrade tomorrow it’d probably be for the ever sillier-named Xbox. Were that not the case then I might be tempted to jump ship to a PS5 instead just for a change of scenery, plus historically Sony have wangled a broader choice of platform exclusives.

Honestly though, I can’t see me doing either any time soon. Aside from the fact that I have a (mostly virtual) Shelf of Shame with enough unplayed games to keep me going till the heat death of the universe, there’s just little point. To take advantage of a next-gen console I’d have to upgrade both a high-end-back-when-I-bought-it 42″ 1080p TV along with the AV receiver it passes through as that only supports HDMI 1.4. My back-of-an-envelope sums suggest I’m looking at an outlay of like £1,400 and that’s too rich for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 553 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.