Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • PS5 or Xbox Series X
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

But you’d be able to play online with us!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Yeah, but you realise that Sony managed make all of their wireless controllers rechargeable from Day 1? They’re also slightly cheaper to buy too.

Sure. Good for them, buy a Playstation then if that’s your primary criterion for console choice. All I’m saying is, whilst it’s perhaps not the best design choice, it’s not even the remotest of issues unless you choose to make it so. I’ve been using the same set of Eneloops since my Xbox 360 days so probably well over six years and have just had my first cell failure a couple of weeks back.

Actually, that’s a point in itself. What happens in ten years time when current gen is retro and you can’t get a working controller for love nor money because all the proprietary embedded batteries are sodded after spending 95% of their life in a charging dock? Can you use them wired over mini USB? I have a PS3 here and it’s not something I’ve had cause to actually try.

gauss1777

To take advantage of a next-gen console I’d have to upgrade both a high-end-back-when-I-bought-it 42″ 1080p TV along with the AV receiver it passes through as that only supports HDMI 1.4. My back-of-an-envelope sums suggest I’m looking at an outlay of like £1,400 and that’s too rich for me.

Interesting, do you think there’s little point in either without a 4K tv? I cannot justify to myself the waste involved in getting a new tv.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

But you’d be able to play online with us!

That’s another compelling reason not to. (-:

Interesting, do you think there’s little point in either without a 4K tv? I cannot justify to myself the waste involved in getting a new tv.

Honestly, I don’t know the answer to that question and it’s one I’ve wondered myself. Console gaming is perilously close to falling into the willy-waving megapixel arms race so beloved of PC gamers and camera manufacturers, the consoles aren’t even out yet so most of this is conjecture. Will next-gen games be better (for some value of) than current-gen at the same resolution? One would assume so – I do rather wonder whether this will be the generation where we jump to photorealistic – but I think I’d rather wait and see for myself. Mostly when I’ve bought a new console it’s been title-driven, ie there was something specific that I wanted to play. Usually with varying degrees of disappointment.

That said, I remain somewhat sceptical about the whole 4k+ thing generally. There comes a point where the question becomes “how good are your eyes?” and you’re simply pushing pixels around because you can. I appreciate a nice-looking game as much as the next spod, but if I’m playing say Forza in an X-class car then I’m not sitting there counting pixels, I’m trying to carefully schedule the next time I can blink. And that’s up close and personal at gaming distance, at TV viewing distance I’d probably not be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k without getting a bigger telly.

Mind you, I had the same argument around replacing a perfectly decent, large, fairly high end CRT with the flatscreen and was very, very wrong indeed so…

Rechargeable AAs are an ideal solution for grown adults.

Kids, however, are arseholes.

My 11 year old can’t even be arsed to plug a cable into the battery pack of his controller when he’s sat three feet in front of it. He most certainly lacks to foresight to have a fresh set of batteries on charge and to take the time to put the dead set on when he changes them over.

He couldn’t even be arsed to use the docking station that only requires him to sit the bloody controller on top of it. It only ever enters his thinking when he’s halfway through a game and the batteries die and he runs through the house in a panic to get AAs out of the box.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The mistake there is having AAs in a box in the first place.

“Batteries run out again? Oh dear what a shame never mind, how about a nice game of Monopoly?” I’ll wager his memory might rapidly improve (unless there’s an underlying condition I’m not privy to and I am thus being wholly insensitive, sorry if that’s the case).

unless there’s an underlying condition

Yes.

He’s an arsehole.

It’s hereditary….we obviously need AAs for loads of other stuff. The battery box is as far away from his room as I could get it in a difficult to reach place.
    I’ll win eventually because I am a far more experienced arsehole than he is.

gauss1777

There comes a point where the question becomes “how good are your eyes?

Indeed the PS3 was good enough for me really. I remamber going to bed aftera marathon session of Doom and my eyes would be flashing in the dark. The only game I can remember being wowed by the graphics, was the first Farcry game on a PC.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Sure. Good for them, buy a Playstation then if that’s your primary criterion for console choice. All I’m saying is, whilst it’s perhaps not the best design choice, it’s not even the remotest of issues unless you choose to make it so

Ah, you’re starting to soften I see. You *almost* admitted that using disposable batteries was a bad thing then… 😉

Selling a high use device like a Console controller with disposable batteries is a **** criminally stupid and irresponsible thing to do, anyone who hasn’t convinced themselves that it’s not, frankly just because they’re “Team Xbox” can see that the very first time they open their new Xbox and remark “**** me, this thing takes AAs” to themselves.

After all, if using AAs was such a brilliantly convenient thing, if only we have the self discipline, the mega expensive Xbox Elite controller would use them, but it doesn’t, it’s rechargeable.

Saying that, I’ll still buy an Xbox, I’ve got loads of Xbox games.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

I don’t think there is. The ‘point’ of new consoles is better graphics, lets be honest a lot of the games we have now are the same games we had a decade or more ago with slicker visuals.

I didn’t bother with a Xbox One X because we didn’t have a 4K TV, being that it’s mostly a 4K version of the One S I have.

4K is the new HD though, you can buy a decent 50″, well known Brand 4K TV with HDR for £300 now, if you want that Gaming PC experience you can buy a 28″ 4K Monitor for low £200s and sit a bit closer to it.

I’m sure some Tech Head will explain now why you need to spend a grand for this standard or feature that only matters on paper, but still.

Premier Icon ctk
    Subscriber

I am not a gamer at all so know nothing. My 7 & 9 year old boys are into games esp. Minecraft at the mo. They have a Xbox 360 which I bought them super cheap last year. I planned to buy an Xbox 1 or Switch for them if they got into it but I’m now not sure whether I should just skip a generation?

Or get a gamer PC?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

we obviously need AAs for loads of other stuff.

You don’t need disposable AAs for many things at all.

Ah, you’re starting to soften I see. You *almost* admitted that using disposable batteries was a bad thing then…

Oh it is, I’m wholly in agreement with you here. That’s why the last non-rechargeable batteries I bought were probably over a decade ago. When they run out they’ll be replaced with rechargeable ones for anything that isn’t likely to last in the order of years like an occasionally used TV remote. I plan on never buying disposable AAs ever again if I can at all help it. I’d cheerfully see them banned except for niche applications which require a specific power profile, they really should tax the shit out of them to make recarbs the default purchase.

Premier Icon tenfoot
    Subscriber

I have an X Box One, so I will probably replace it with another X Box at some point (after I’ve upgraded my tv). I just wish the Blu-ray app wasn’t so monumentally crap.

What’s more wasteful, selling something with a proprietary battery pack (that can, and will stop working at some point) or something that can take an easily sourced battery?

That you choose not to use rechargeable lies solely at your own door, you don’t even need the fancy ones Cougar has, a pack of 2400mah AAs costs a few quid from Aldi. 20 quid for a smart charger and you’re away. There are precious few devices that need a single use battery.

Oh and the controllers work without batteries if you plug a micro USB lead into it.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Oh and the controllers work without batteries if you plug a micro USB lead into it.

… great point. Five longish uUSB cables, problem solved, you’ll never need a battery again.

The only reason I use Eneloops (and there are equivalents using the same tech from other manufacturers now, generally marketed as “pre-charged”) is my Xbox usage is bursty and the batteries hold their charge. So I’m not going to come to it after a few months hiatus to find that every recarb in the building is flat. If you’re swapping batteries every few days then you might as well get cheapies.

marcg868

Currently on a One X and enjoying the gamepass. I did get the original One on launch but traded it in for a PS4 Pro, enjoyed some of the exclusives but they didn’t wow me. Then my Step Daughters ps4 og stopped working so she had my pro and I went back to Xbox. Really wanted to have a proper Gran Turismo experience but GT Sport is absolutely gash unless you like e sports online racing.
    If PS5 comes with a proper GT and I can modify crap cars again I’ll be straight over, but so far it’s looking like another Xbox 12 months after launch.

One thing I am looking forward to is the Shadowman remaster, just need Zelda Ocarina of time and Majoras mask porting or remastered for the Switch.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.