• This topic has 552 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 553 total)
  • PS5 or Xbox Series X
  • Cougar

Hither and thus.

https://www.electronicfirst.com/12-m-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-eu-uk/

If you’ve got a PC with a VPN connection where you can pretend to be in Brazil to activate the code then it’s even cheaper. https://www.electronicfirst.com/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-brl/

Then convert to Ultimate.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

Three years of Ultimate for £120. By my maths that’s £3.30 a month. Or £153 / £4.25 if you don’t want to use the VPN trick.

johndoh
    Free Member

I assume all the newspapers having constantly updating ‘articles’ about PS5 stock availability is just clickbait to increase page clicks (and therefore advertising revenue)? They must be loving this.

spacemonkey

Yeah, I was going to have a go at one at those GPU deals but it seemed like a lot of faff and might not even work (after subscribing up front for something like 1 year at full RRP?). Hence I started with the 3 months at £1/month offer then I’ll carry on at a tenner a pop because it’s huge VFM.

Drac

I assume all the newspapers having constantly updating ‘articles’ about PS5 stock availability is just clickbait to increase page clicks (and therefore advertising revenue)? They must be loving this.

I have no idea I still have the Twitter account I suggested active, it updates with predict release and when they go live. People are reporting of walk ins though, Smyths at the weekend for example.

Cougar

Yeah, I was going to have a go at one at those GPU deals but it seemed like a lot of faff and might not even work (after subscribing up front for something like 1 year at full RRP?). Hence I started with the 3 months at £1/month offer then I’ll carry on at a tenner a pop because it’s huge VFM.

I’ve used both CDK and FE for years without issue, they’re solid and far from full RRP (which is the point). You buy the code, they email it to you usually in the next few minutes and you type it in. Then click to convert as per the previous link. That’s it. This literally more than halves your already “huge” VFM costs.

Granted, buggering about with VPNs to Brazil is a little faff, but I’ve never bothered with those codes.

As a rule of thumb: outside of sale offers, buying subscriptions and games directly through the console is usually the single most expensive way of doing it. You pay a convenience tax.

Drac

@johndoh Game and Argos are dropping stock tomorrow including in store.

Drac

Argos has gone live with PS5 for click and collect

jake123
    Free Member

The Argos stock is all gone, didn’t last long.
    Expect a sudden mass of ebay listing later reselling most of it!

Drac

Game also have in store stock.

Argos do roll outs so some may appear in stores through the morning.

Sheffield and York have stock.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

TLDR sorry, but is it worth getting  PS5 yet? What games are must have next gen amazing must haves? The boy and I are happy with Apex Legends and Fifa on PS4, replaying RDR2 also.

ta11pau1

PS5 firmware update allowing internal SSD’s dropping tomorrow. 1TB M.2 SSD ordered for £136. 😀

Drac

Yeah I took the plunge too.

TLDR sorry, but is it worth getting  PS5 yet?

It’s relative but I’d say yes. Many games have a PS5 upgrade, there’s only a few PS5 exclusives but the look amazing. Upgraded games vary from full raytracing to just upgraded looks. However, the pretty much instant gaming is well worth it, as is the haptic feedback and utter silence from the machine.

windyg
    Free Member

I would say it’s worth it, even PS4 games load faster and as above some look better, the new controller works well in driving games and they are whisper quiet compared to a PS4 which was silly loud

ta11pau1

Yeah all depends on the games you’re playing, and to a lesser degree the TV you have.

If you’re coming from a bog std PS4 then even PS4 games will be a decent upgrade, from a PS4 pro – not so much.

Warzone/Black ops cold war for instance, is 120hz on PS5 with a hdmi 2.1 TV which is buttery smooth. So is fornite, 120fps.

There are plenty of fantastic looking and playing PS5 games out now: Mile Morales, Ratchet & Clank, etc etc. Hell, Astros playroom is brilliant on it’s own!

andy5390

AO have stock of PS5s, but not released for delivery until Saturday

p5hehwcst60227-sony-playstation-console-white-89218-291.aspx?pid=837293&awc=3_1633002921_fd548dab7e6332c3f0cd51cbc4387f17

BillOddie

I kept an eye on the independents live blog for ps5 drops and managed to snag one from Amazon last week.

The wife managed to get the XBox series X from Argos a couple of months ago.

So the kids will be happy/spoiled come Christmas…

Drac

Got one for a good friend yesterday from Amazon, Argos dropped this am again.

scuttler

Looks like the market’s fluid enough for deals to start happening. Argos (and I expect others) doing Series S + FIFA for £249 which is the standard console price.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8448248/specialoffers/E35508

I also read there was a suggestion that Seagate are going to release a smaller / cheaper expansion disk for Series S/X.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Gave up on a Series X after looking for months, bought a Series S in the end, stung a bit buying the same game twice, but other than that, I love it!

If anyone else is still on the fence about getting one, it must be said though, the graphical update from One S to Series S is nice, it’s only ‘upscaled’ really, because supposedly MS don’t allow backwards compatible games (99% of what’s out there) to be ran at One X levels on a Series S, even though it’s more powerful.

TBH most of the advantages of the Series consoles at the moment is the loading times and fast start etc, at least until more Series updates and games are released.

Cougar

Bless me father, for I have sinned.

I appear to have tripped and bought a Series X.

oceanskipper

@cougar – where on earth did you find one?

Cougar

where on earth did you find one?

I wondered how long that question would take.

A mate of mine works for… I probably shouldn’t name names, but a large UK telecoms company. He rang me out of the blue yesterday, “we’ve had 50 offered to our staff nationwide and they’re going fast, they’ll have gone by the end of this phone call, do you want one?”

Put on the spot I went, yes…

… er, oh shit, what have I done, my partner is going to kill me. (-:

spacemonkey

TBH most of the advantages of the Series consoles at the moment is the loading times and fast start etc, at least until more Series updates and games are released.

And the insane library that is Game Pass. That really is a game changer IMO. Quick save is also excellent – I still fire up games weeks after last playing them only to get dropped in exactly where I left off.

spacemonkey

You made the right choice Cougar. I bought mine on a whim knowing I had maybe 1 minute from receiving the Discord notification to adding it to an Argos basket and hitting checkout. Not cheap obvs, nor justifiable for many, but I can see it being used easily for 5+ years.

BTW, if you like a bit of cyberpunk action, get your paws on The Ascent. No heavy mechanics or complicated upgrade paths – just a ton of fun and a banging futuristic soundtrack. That’s been my fav game so far.

Cougar

And the insane library that is Game Pass.

‘s also on the regular box, OFC.

Mine runs out shortly. Can you still do the £1 upgrade thing if you’ve already done it once, anyone know?

You made the right choice Cougar.

I figured, if I repented (or got a bollocking) I could likely double my money on ebay anyway.

get your paws on The Ascent.

Diablo meets Shadowrun. I’m all over that.

spacemonkey

‘s also on the regular box, OFC.

Yes it is – I was referring to it being an advantage of the Xbox ecosystem over PS’ equivalent.

Mine runs out shortly. Can you still do the £1 upgrade thing if you’ve already done it once, anyone know?

I don’t know TBH, I saw you as more knowledgeable on that front.

scuttler

ICYMI Microsoft Flight Sim (all 100 GB of it) on Game Pass. Fiddly but enough wally-mode stuff if you just want to gawp at the world. I stacked it into my back garden!

Cougar

Yes it is – I was referring to it being an advantage of the Xbox ecosystem over PS’ equivalent.

Aha, furry.

I don’t know TBH, I saw you as more knowledgeable on that front.

Aw. (-:

It’s looking like the 3-year deal thing was a one-shot. I was really angling to see if anyone had got away with it twice. Cos the last time I did it was, erm, three years ago.

Cougar

ICYMI Microsoft Flight Sim (all 100 GB of it) on Game Pass.

I did miss it.

Christ, do I need to add a HOTAS to my shopping list?

robbo1234biking

@cougar DrP got it to work in a slightly different way here:

PSA – Xbox gamepass Ultimate hack… part 2

Cougar

Oh, cool, thank you. I’d forgotten about that thread.

spacemonkey

Flight Sim is astonishing IMO. So far I’ve piloted only over my local constituency of Surrey and the amount of detail is incredible. When I have more time and patience, I’ll get into the controls more and go exploring.

olddog

Yeah flight sim is amazing. I live pretty close to Leeds Bradford airport and have already landed in the field next my house.

It’s just a really chill experience flying over landscapes and cities you recognise and beautiful parts of the world.

The base s is 100GB bit plenty of expansion packs ( some free some paid for) that give even more detail on cityscapes to fill up your hard drive!

Cougar

It’s hee-re…

And it’s staying in a box until I’ve finished work. And made tea. And painted the back bedroom.

Rich_s

I have a priority purchase code for a ps5 at currys. Needs to be used by 19th October to buy one of their bundles – apparently you don’t get it there and then, but they order it in for you which takes 2-3 weeks. Bundles seem good value too.

If you need one for Christmas this is a good option. If anyone wants the code PM me.

tlr

I think I’ve just been successful at Very.com for a PS5 if anyone is still wanting one (they have accepted my order anyway). Bit of a queue to get on the website, but only 15 minutes maybe.

tlr

Oh, and looks like £26 cashback with Quidco too.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a priority purchase code for a ps5 at currys. Needs to be used by 19th October to buy one of their bundles – apparently you don’t get it there and then, but they order it in for you which takes 2-3 weeks. Bundles seem good value too.

If you need one for Christmas this is a good option. If anyone wants the code PM me.

Ohh, I have one of those too – as above, PM me if you want it (they say ‘Pop along to the store no later than 19th October with your PS5 VIP code to select your bundle and purchase in store. Bundle availability is limited so please come as soon as you can to secure your first choice. We’ll let you know when your new PS5 bundle has been delivered to the store. Just pop by to collect.)

Cougar

Blimey.

tlr

Just wanted to say that finally, after 12 months of vaguely trying to buy one, my PS5 has arrived.

Seeing as I am coming from a PS3, I am looking forward to a big jump in technology. And as for about the last 3 years all I’ve played really has been MW3 online, I am also looking forward to some new games (hopefully ones not populated by hackers and cheats).

Thinking of Dirt or WRC, latest Modern Warfare and then maybe try some of the above suggestions. Really loved GTA5, but has it moved on much for the PS5?

Guttingly, I am busy tonight!

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 553 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.