Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • ps4….worth it?
  • sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Wife has let slip she is getting me one for my birthday. Are they backwards compatible

shindiggy
    Free Member

No to backwards compatibility, different architecture.

Are they wort it? That’s for you (or you wife) to decide. From a hardware point of view it’s superior to the Xbox one. From a generational point of view, both console are lack luster and there is little software worth buying.

PC is King 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

PC is King

tomhoward

I got one yesterday, pretty happy with it, but it really needs a couple of stand out (for me, racing) games.

rewski
    Free Member

Tempted for NSF rivals, awesome on ps3, but a bit glitchy, is drive club out yet?

Drac

Oh yeah they’re good, very good. Games are still in early stages but Battlefield 4 is very impressive good gameplay on multiplayer with great graphics and sound, no need to adjust the settings or update you drivers in order to get it work.

Newer games due out soon will push them more and as time goes on so will others.

Never touched my PC for gaming for months now.

ginge24
    Free Member

YES ! BF4 is the daddy pretty glitched up like most of them tho but it will get sorted over time,Watch dogs is out next month.Thats two reasons to have one 🙂

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Loving mine since release. I’ve got most of the big titles released so far which has been enough to keep me going, and the releases seem to be gathering pace.

I was sceptical before playing it but I really liked Assasins Creed IV. Infamous Second Son is my next favourite. The shooters are stunning and I enjoyed the campaigns, but I’m either not talented enough or not prepared to practice enough to get excited by multiplayer. The ones I play the least are Need for Speed and FIFA, I’m not sure if they’re a bit too samey and lacking, or if I’m just over those genres. It does need a better driving game though, hopefully either The Crew or Driveclub will provide in the coming months. I’m looking forward to Watch Dogs most given what I’ve enjoyed so far.

In a way I feel lucky that I had to put up with a WII for the family in the last generation, I’m clearly not so jaded as the reviewers and gamers who seem underwhelmed because so little is new to them. I’m not surprised if you’ve played that many instalments of the main franchises already.

Almost forgot, you can’t play PS3 discs (unless upgrading a recent one also available in PS4 to PS4), but some kind of cloud based service is intended where most PS games from all gens will be available.

Drac

Yeah Infamous Second Son is pretty good but gets a bit too repeatitive. I’ve got Watchdogs on Pre-order as that looks a lot more in depth, especially with they covert multiplayer part.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I bought an Xbox One on release having an Xbox for years. Decided to exchange it for a PS4 and love it. Games are a bit scarce at the minute though. Looking forward to The Last of Us Remastered and Watch Dogs.

Add me ‘ChuckMorr1s’

Cougar

some kind of cloud based service is intended where most PS games from all gens will be available.

… to buy all over again.

You know, I’m underwhelmed so far. It’ll change I’m sure when some new titles come out, but to my mind there hasn’t been the shift from current- to next-gen that we’ve seen previously. Most of the titles people are talking about here are available on the 360 / PS3, and whilst they’ll be prettier on the new machines I’ll be quite happy to pay £30 for an Xbox 360 copy of Watch Dogs rather than £50 for a next-gen version. I’m sure that’ll change as time goes on and development is dropped in favour of the new machines, but right now there’s nothing compelling me to run out and buy one. And TBH the lack of backwards compatibility is seriously holding me back; I’m heavily invested in the 360 and I’m expected to throw away all those games? No.

I bought an Xbox One on release having an Xbox for years. Decided to exchange it for a PS4 and love it.

That’s interesting. Would you care to tell us a bit more about why you prefer the PS4? (Only, when I do jump ship, it’s a decision I’ll need to make too.)

chojin
    Free Member

Whereas I bought a launch PS4 and was thinking of jumping ship to Xbone. Currently at least there’s Forza and Titanfall to keep xbone owners interested!

njee20
    Free Member

there hasn’t been the shift from current- to next-gen that we’ve seen previously.

PS3 is one of the few formats of HD to use 1080p even now I believe – even Sky HD is only 720p, and as most people’s televisions can’t do “Ultra-HD” or whatever, presumably there’s a serious limit to how you can really up the graphical quality significantly. Compare a PS2 game to PS3 and you’ve got that real step change.

AdamW
    Free Member

Got WatchDogs and that 1861 game pre-ordered, will most probably get ‘last of us’ and definitely ‘Destiny’ when out. Am currently playing ‘inFamous Second Son’ to death.

Nephew is biting at the bit for ‘Drive Club’.

The next-gen consoles are still new, the games people are still ramping up production and keeping an eye on the last generation as it will take years to tail off.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i so wish i had the time to play my PS3, since the little man arrived the PS3 has been collecting dust. 😥

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Cougar – The Xbox One is still very good and the Kinect voice commands are brilliant.
    I felt the dashboard is very bloated and Windows 8 styled, it can be difficult to navigate and find things. The PS4 dashboard is super quick, almost instant and based on the original PS3 layout.

Sending messages on PS4 is clean and simple. It’s in a nice format like an iPhone text message layout. The Xbox layout is a bit clumsy.

The control pad on the PS4 seems a little bigger and more comfortable then previous dual shock incarnations. The Xbox pad has awkward shoulder buttons that need to be pressed with the inside knuckle of your index finger. Also the Xbox analogue sticks seem longer then the previous xbox pad, making it little more twitchy to control.

There is the resolution issue. Xbox are struggling to make games 1080p 60fps which should be the baseline for this generation. But, having said that, I’ve honestly not really noticed any differences in the cross platform games I’ve played on both consoles. Ryse: Son of Rome being visually the best game I’ve played on a console, that being only Xbox one. PC will always be king in this area though.

SamB
    Free Member

IMO neither next-gen console is worth it at the moment. As others have highlighted, there isn’t the same step change as with the previous generation, so the graphics argument is moot. There also aren’t any next-gen must-have games yet, so no point buying one right away.

I’ve got a 360, but I’ll probably jump ship to the PS4 if/when I buy a new console. The Bone just isn’t that good – it’s underpowered, the amazing TV features it offers are all US-centric, and voice recognition just isn’t something I need – so that doesn’t appeal. It’s also more expensive than the PS4 and doesn’t have any worthwhile exclusives, and nothing particularly exciting due to be released in the next *calendar year* 😕

HOWEVER. Xbone’s voice recognition does have some redeeming features 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k[/video]

londonerinoz
    Free Member

some kind of cloud based service is intended where most PS games from all gens will be available.

… to buy all over again.

You’d hope possession of a previous gen game copy would give you free or reduced price access. Otherwise for those like me it might be more economical to buy a previous gen console and games second hand rather than use the service. I’m therefore waiting to see whether I should buy a PS3 or Xbox 360! That said I’m not really monitoring such developments so my pre-release knowledge could easily have been superseded.

The next gen upgrade path seems similar to the video to DVD to Blu-Ray experience. There didn’t seem to be much rush or need to go to Blu-Ray from DVD, but it seems like a waste now to buy the cheaper inferior quality version if you want to own it. I’ll quietly ignore the existence of PC in that analogy.

LMT
    Free Member

I would say yes if you have another PS device a vita or a PS3 and subscribe o PS Plus then its a big yes, I keep getting free (Ok a rental) of games I was going to buy, PS4 currently we are getting free indie games some good some not sure good.

The only issue I have with my ps4 is occasionally the Blu-ray function just doesn’t work on selected blu-rays but then they work fine on the ps3.

Drac

Watchdogs for the PS4 for £50 RRP or £32 from Tesco like I paid.

As mentioned PS2 to PS3 was pretty big not wasn’t 1080p immediately that came with time, it also took them ages to get the most out of the PS2. Supposedly the PS4 is a lot more programmer friendly so will see the difference improve. Games don’t just look pretty on PS4 the sound and performance is way better than PS2.

I went for PS4 as gave up on the Xbox ages ago and gave it away. Plus PS4 has been showing to be the leader in this way outselling the Xbox One which is an important part of future games.

Clong
    Free Member

Oxbox one here and to be honest i’m a bit underwhelmed. There has been very little released that has interested me, although its obviously still a new platform. The “entertainment” centric tagline doesn’t scan that well, as has been mentioned above its aimed at the US market. I have to keep my 360 if i want to watch any movies that i have stored on a external hard drive or if i want to use the iplayer. That being said, Titanfall is epic and unlike most mutliplayer games you can play for half an hour at a time and still make progress against people that live the game.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

PS4 is a step backwards in there is no 3D support.

Black Ops 2 and Uncharted are great fun in 3D on the PS3

Cougar

PS4 is a step backwards in there is no 3D support.

Took me a minute to work out what you were talking about. Early days yet though. See http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/14/trine-2-complete-story-coming-to-ps4-tomorrow/

Trine 2 runs at beautiful full HD 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second. It’s truly a sight to see, and what’s more is that we’re also one of the few games at launch with stereoscopic 3D support. So remember to fire up your 3D TV’s, put on your glasses, and enjoy the visual splendor.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Well worth it mate, bit of a golfer here so waiting until they release a golf game and that, together with Fifa14 and Need For Speed will be me done!!

Cougar

You want a PS4 to play golf? The gold standard has already been attained, I’m afraid.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold too much hope in graphics /frame rate improving greatly in future games. These consoles are basic x86 architecture which developers have been familiar with for the last 10 years. Games should improve slightly on the XBONE if/when the devs can get the crippled amount of Esram to work, a slight boost will be attained on XBONE in around 2years If dx 12 is a closer to the metal api then the current api.

dogbert
    Free Member

There is a new racing game on the way for PS4 and Xbox one, the name escapes me but Top Gears website had something about it yesterday, looks quite nice

rewski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold too much hope in graphics /frame rate improving greatly in future games.

The current generation seem to be happy with minecraft anyway

kimbers

mashiehood – Member
    i so wish i had the time to play my PS3, since the little man arrived the PS3 has been collecting dust

this^^^ my ps3 spends most of its time streaming ceebeebies

AdamW
    Free Member

Dogbert – the only one I know of is ‘Drive Club’ but that’s a PS4 exclusive.

shindiggy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGIi9VA_AI[/video]

Good clip just to show how much the current gen consoles are lagging behind already. I will get one eventually when the price falls (circa £200 or less) to replace the aging 360 i have as a kids toys/streaming device/bluray player.

Drac

My PC wouldn’t perform anything near that good I wonder what the cost would be for a machine to run that well.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

the aging 360 i have as a kids toys/streaming device/bluray player.

Bluray player? Are you sure about that?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Sure it isn’t a PS3?

endurogangster
    Free Member

Dogbert – are you thinking of project cars?
    That will be on both plus pc and steam OS as well.

As for pc, my approx £1000 pc that I built around Xmas will be able to run watch dogs at 60fps 1080p on high settings but I think it would struggle to run everything on ultra!

I’m still working my way through the games I collected in the last steam sale, but plan to get a ps4 later this year when there is more game choice and I have more time to play hopefully!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    My PC wouldn’t perform anything near that good I wonder what the cost would be for a machine to run that well.

Someone has the answer for you

Can you build a gaming PC better than the PS4 for $400?

markrtw
    Free Member

I’m a very occasional gamer and have a PS3 (and a 20 month old hence occasional). I was given an XBone with 5 games and all the accessories on launch day and so far have spent hardly any time using it. Compared to the PS3 its very bloated and I find it hard to navigate. Every time I do switch it on and try to play something it insists on installing system and game updates that are huge, so the PS3 goes on while the updates go through and the XBone is forgotten about. The games are OK, but nothing special and the voice commands are annoying. I have spent ages trying to get the unit to power off shouting different commands at it until I got the right one. It would probably be easier if I used it regularly (and was a teenager) and knew what the commands are. It did not come with a manual so I have nothing to refer to. I prefer the PS3 for the simplicity of the menus, the games and the updates seem to be less often and quicker to download/install.
    If I had paid for the XBone I would have been gutted. Unfortunately I cant just swap it out for a PS4 as the family member who gave it to me (& Microsoft employee who worked on the XBone project) would give me a ton of grief.

DaRC_L

Personally I do love the PS4 apart from the lack of games! The controller sits in the hand better and I like the proper trigger feel to the L2/R2 button. Games also seem to run much faster.

From a media console PoV it’s BBC iPlayer seems to run better I would say the lack of ITV player is a pain if ITV player was a good design. Films from LoveFilm/Netflix are also great.

As a console the video quality increases aren’t the jump that PS2 to PS3 were.

samuri
    Free Member

It better get good quick because I’m buying a PS4 with my bonus money in June.

Drac

Build a PC better than a PS4 for $400, well there’s one hurdle for a start I live in the UK.

Wait what’s that you switch it on and it does nothing but boot up and can’t find an OS. Ah sorry I’ve got no money left should have bought a PS4 for £350 then you’d not have that issue.

Ok never mind press Delete so we setup the bios. Wait you don’t have a keyboard?

Ok plug the mouse in and we’ll try that. What you don’t have a mouse either?

Right then try the gamer pad…ah sorry.

Never mind least you have RAM speed equal to the PS4 oh wait no it isn’t.

Still it can play the games on Ultra settings which beats the PS4 ah it can’t do that either.

So then for $400 well $416 you have a PC that can do nothing and certainly not beat the PS4 on gaming maybe just match it. Once you’ve spent some more money that is.

“Dad, Dad. Can we watch 3D film on the PC?”

“No, sorry son we can’t afford a 3D Blu-ray optical drive for the PC.”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘ps4….worth it?’ is closed to new replies.