Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • ps4….worth it?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

well you actually asked the question

My PC wouldn’t perform anything near that good I wonder what the cost would be for a machine to run that well.

, and the answer was not that much more than the PS4, the link was american sorry I couldn’t edit the internet. Anyway mod in a mood I’m off 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

Read that US site. Load of horlicks. The CPU/GPU and RAM are not in any way equivalent. There is no Blu-ray drive, no keyboard/mouse/OS/gamepad.

All he’s done is said “Look I can build a PC for $400 with the same amount of RAM as a PS4/Xbox One”.

Drac

answer was not that much more than the PS4, the link was american sorry I couldn’t edit the internet. Anyway mod in a mood I’m off

Except it wasn’t. The video showed settings higher than PS4 on a PC and clearly not the base unit posted by in your link. So the answer is more than you’d pay for a PS4 to get higher and you can’t buy a gaming PC as good as a PS4 for £400.

Precisely why I’ve given up with PC gaming as it just cost too much and now with little advantage, since FPS went easy mode because of consoles the mouse aiming has lost an little of it’s edge. PCs are only good for quirky games and MMORPG.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Waiting 4 a price drop here

Entonox
    Free Member

I’m another underwhelmed XBone owner. Thinking about making the switch to PS4 when Destiny is released.

Drac

Those waiting for a price drop might be waiting along time yet, they make a loss on the consoles now so they’re not going to drop very quickly.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I could build a PC that would be faster than the PS4/Xbox for around £450 with some carefully sourced components, so a little more expensive but at least it would run games on high settings easily at 1080p/60fps which is something neither console can achieve with the same texture details.

Hell, i could even fit a blueray drive in their at that budget, and the point about 3d Drac is a non issue as both PC’s and PS4 can do 3D with the correct tv/monitor.

For this generation, the only time i’ll be buying one is when they are sub £200 and when there are some killer exclusives. This is the first time in 20years i’ve not picked up a console at launch.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Those waiting for a price drop might be waiting along time yet, they make a loss on the consoles now so they’re not going to drop very quickly.

They have already dropped significantly (XBONE) and have only been out since November?

samuri
    Free Member

surely $400 buys a graphics card and nothing else.

AdamW
    Free Member

Off you go shindiggy – money where your mouth is, lets see the component list/prices. I look forward to being educated. You’ll be looking at £100 more expensive than a PS4 and £50 more than an XBone.

I’m happy to be proven wrong but to get an 8 core CPU/8GB GDDR5/Blu-ray/decent GPU/OS/input device etc. for £450 will be pretty tight.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Who said you needed an (low clocked) 8 core processor or a unified pool of GDDR5 ram in order to outperform the PS4 or XBOX? We are talking about games here, and the graphical performance. Checklist below, all from OCUK (which aren’t the cheapest around)

1 x Powercolor Radeon R9 270 TurboDUO 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £125.99
    1 x AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition 3.50GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor – Retail £79.99
    1 x TeamGroup Vulcan GOLD 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLYD38G2133HC11ADC01) £53.99
    1 x Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard £50.99
    1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache – OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £41.99
    1 x EVGA 430W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0430-KR) £29.99
    1 x BitFenix Merc Beta Gaming Case – Black £29.99
    1x LiteOn iHOS104 – BD-ROM drive – Serial ATA – 40x (CD) / 12x (DVD±R £25.00
    Total : £437.92 (includes shipping : ).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and that just about goes along with what I was trying to suggest, the PS4 isn’t some mythical beast powered by alien superchips and magic smoke like a mac, it’s just collection of bits in a case. If they can put it together for that then you can get close with a PC spec and exceed it fairly easily with a bit more cash. It’s not looking like double and certainly depending on what you have already the upgrade path doesn’t look too pricey either. You also get a decent PC for free

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also a decentish large screen tv will set you back 500. Or about double that of a 24 inch gaming monitor.

shindiggy
    Free Member

But you’ll have a TV anyway? Or would also have to factor that cost into the PS4 purchase if you didn’t already have a TV?

shindiggy
    Free Member

I also find it strange people are quibbling about cost on STW given the amount most of us spend on bikes 🙂

I’m merely talking about the gaming experience in term of Cost and quality of graphics. (PC games are also a lot cheaper, but also doesn’t have a nice 2nd hand market for games, though this will be the last generation for this I believe).

Also, this generation cannot last as long as the previous (8years)as the new consoles are already a little long in the tooth.

Drac

Still no OS on that PC, keyboard, mouse, and does that Blu-ray driver play 3D discs as that was my point I know you need 3D TV thanks. And I was asking what kind of PC to play the high quality shown in that video not one to match it, have we got that yet?

They have already dropped significantly (XBONE) and have only been out since November?

Yeah as the messed up with the pricing so tried to match PS4.

You also get a decent PC for free

😆

I’ve just watched that video some more and on a bigger screen as only seen it on my phone yesterday, that isn’t a PS4 I’m sorry. I’ve watched a few trailers now for the PS4 and it’s way beyond what that video shows.

AdamW
    Free Member

As an interesting aside the game ‘inFamous Second Son’ has a photo capture mode now and on neogaf they’ve been having a competition: here. Some of the images are pretty good, but obviously as they zoom in more polygons are rendered. Still, impressive programming to think about putting rustmarks etc. on a chain that you normally only see as a firey line.

chojin
    Free Member

So getting things back on topic a little bit, what games should I be looking forward to and when are they going to be released?

AdamW
    Free Member

Watch Dogs – May 27th
    Destiny – Sept 9th
    Order 1861: end of year
    Drive Club: Oct 7th
    Last of Us: summer sometime
    inFamous: already out

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Trials Fusion is out now and is pretty good.

Wolfenstein 20th May

samuri
    Free Member

OK, assuming I rush down the shops to buy my PS4 on bonus pay day which is June 15th.
    What games are ace now? I like driving games. And things like Borderlands 2.

Drac

Infamous 2nd Son is good but a bit repetitive.

Battlefield 4 is impressive far better than the last few, it’s more back to BF1942 Desert Combat style.

I’ve not got any driving ones the only other game I have is COD Ghosts which is well COD so good but more of the same. Oh and a couple of freebie ones from PSN but not played them much yet.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Modern warfare seems to be upping the stakes this year, at least as far as voice acting goes.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFu5qXMuaJU[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘ps4….worth it?’ is closed to new replies.