Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Protecting a new frame – anyone used clear Gorilla tape rather than Helitape?
  • martinkiely
    Free Member

As above really – I have a new frame on the way and have had very mixed results with Helitape before – peeling off etc, so idly wondered about using clear Gorilla tape instead? I’m not particularly precious about my frames, more thinking about preventing paint being rubbed off from frame bags etc – thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, I have.

It did protect the frame well but the slightly serrated egdes collected dirt and made it look tatty AF. Was a pain to remove when I sold the frame too.

Wouldn’t use again.

mattvanders
    Free Member

Used the regular thickness 1” wide for a custom steel frame (so no vizy kit for it to buy off the shelf). Not as hard wearing as the proper stuff but fine for just to take the general scrapes/transport scares.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Cheers chakaping – knew it would be a pain to remove, but didn’t think about edges – good shout 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, it’s a lot thinner than the 3M stuff, and the edges look horrible.

nedrapier

I whacked a load on a classy steel frame before a bikepacking trip. I can send you some pictures. It will put you off, it looks proper shit. It’s a black frame, and I’ve used black leccy tape in some areas and that looks much better. I think I thought it might wear through over 70 miles of welsh winter mud.

Can’t bring myself to tackle taking it off as I know it’s going to be a pain. It gives people something to laugh at in the meantime!

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t bring myself to tackle taking it off as I know it’s going to be a pain.

Hairdryer will assist greatly with removal.

I only twigged that near the end of my epic ordeal peeling it off.

faustus

Seems just fine to me, if it’s the clear gorilla repair tape you mean, which is a narrow roll compared to a fat duct tape style. No tatty edges (using scissors to cut), nice and thick, and seems to be lasting well. Bit of heat and it comes off fine.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Thanks all – have decided just to do what I’ve done before and bought some Helitape – hopefully have a better result this time! Might even have some left to do the areas on my Solaris Max where the last lot peeled off…

chakaping
    Free Member

Need to get some helitape myself, what one did you go for?

martinkiely
    Free Member

Off ebay – an outfit called Paragon Tapes who do lots of different sizes. Only doing the main areas, so went for 2m at 75mm wide, which should cover everything I need. Although, after I did my Solaris, on the first ride out I put a big scratch on the one tube I didn’t tape…

johnnystorm

I used Tesa’s clear repair tape. It looked ok on the day, but the next day it had lifted all over the place. I’m sure it will do the job but as some point I will be peeling it all off. Pulling off a reel rather than backing paper makes it a whole load more faffy too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Protecting a new frame – anyone used clear Gorilla tape rather than Helitape?’ is closed to new replies.