Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Prod son day – lets hear it for the parents
  • MrPottatoHead

My dad completed his LEJOG attempt today and I couldn’t be prouder.

He’s certainly given me a new perspective on my own riding. I often talk myself out of things making excuses about having the right bike & kit or the right weather conditions, not having trained enough or too much.

And yet here he is, close to 70, jumping on a 25yr old mtb I wouldn’t ride round the block on, gluing the sole back on his shoe every couple of days (not cause he’s poor; just hates waste) and just getting on with enjoying being alive.

frankconway

Thread title is misleading but – yeah, well done that man!

jamj1974

Excellent stuff!!!

MrPottatoHead

Thread title is misleading

Got distracted by my own son!

Was going to ask for people to share stories of how their parents have inspired them.

frankconway

Tell us more about his epic.
    Did he train, was it a solo journey, how long did it take, what inspired him to do it?

joshvegas
    Free Member

My dad got the all clear from lymphoma and took himself off on his bike to get coffee.

Spent some of his chemo treatment helping me not fail a degree.

However he tries to play the ukelele so I’m neutral to him. 😁

Gunz
    Free Member

My dad passed away 2 years ago but from the moment I came into the world I was left in no doubt that I was the centre of his world. Nothing particularly outstanding about him but this was good enough for me.

MoreCashThanDash

Well done Dad! I’m hoping to be one of those old boys that does LEJOG when they’ve retired. Maybe by then the teenagers will be proud of me instead of the other way around.

Very proud of my dad – 22 years in the RAF, left that in the winter of discontent and had to find work, did loads of community based voluntary work before it became a thing, still refusing to look or act 82 👍

MrPottatoHead

Ah – ha didn’t even realise I’d messed up the thread title…puts a different spin on things.

Honestly I don’t think there was a particular motivating factor. My parents holiday plans got scuppered by Covid so he set about creating a new challenge to keep himself amused.

Training of sorts. He’d been doing about 10 miles during lock down but made the decision to do LEJOG and gave himself about a month to ramp up the miles a bit more as he was aiming for an average of 50miles a day to come in around 18 days to give himself a realistic chance.

Riding was all solo but my mum drove between between locations in support.

theordinaryathlete
    Free Member

Love to hear a little interview with him on it and see some pics of the gear.

slackboy

Lovely story, and the kick up the arse I need to get out of the door…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Prod son day – lets hear it for the parents’ is closed to new replies.