Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Problem with putting my Yari back together
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Cant seem to push the SA Air Spring Seal Head back into the tube enough to get the retaining circlip into the groove.

Can’t see what I’m doing wrong – there is only a wavy and back up spring to go in before. Tried more grease, less grease. Am at a loss 😕

P-Jay
    Free Member

I know your pain, I don’t think there’s any special trick to it – if there is, I’d love to know!

Trial and error, lots of swearing and some booze, but not so much you’ll slip and **** the stanchions with your tools.

Scamper
    Free Member

Not just me then. Done plenty of RS before and pressure from just using the pliers is usually enough.

fathomer

I found taking the top cap off, that you screw the tokens to helped. Not pushing into an air filled chamber that way I guess?

Also, a socket of the right size over the air shaft to push against seal head works well.

Scamper
    Free Member

Already tried removing the top cap but the socket sounds like a good idea.

Bagstard
    Free Member

An extra pair of hands, ideally strong ones!

downhilldave

Put some duct tape on the shaft to stop it getting scratched. Push down on the seal head with a long flat bladed screwdriver, it moves reasonably easily Tbf. Use circlip pliers to put the snap ring back in. Make sure to line it up with the depression in seal head first.

Scamper
    Free Member

Still not getting anywhere. Seal head goes in easy without the seal and wavey compression rings 😕

CheesybeanZ

Can you get a small strap over it to take the pressure off ?

Scamper
    Free Member

Fixed! Don’t know exactly what I did differently, but just enough to move the seal head down an extra 2mm. Still tight compared with many a RS. wiggled it a bit while making sure the rod was extended and it’s almost as if a tiny bit of air gets trapped in there somewhere

Onzadog
    Free Member

I cut the step off the outside of the seal head and file smooth. Still as difficult to push down but earlier to fit the snap ring.

Incidentally, I’ve found more recent RS forks seem to be harder to do. In fact, last two I’ve taken apart have deformed washers behind the wave spring due to the spring force.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, the snap ring difficult to get in still, not helped by that step.

My washer was also deformed!

RickDraper
    Free Member

Incidentally, I’ve found more recent RS forks seem to be harder to do. In fact, last two I’ve taken apart have deformed washers behind the wave spring due to the spring force.

Washers deform as they get trapped or not put in straight in my experience.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Washers deform as they get trapped or not put in straight in my experience.

Not bent, but taking on the shape of the wave spring. Both were fairly new forks, opened for the first time to fit Luftkappes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Problem with putting my Yari back together’ is closed to new replies.