Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Probate / Will Experts a quick question
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Hi All

My wife is writing a book (fiction) and she has come across a potential plot issue, she likes to make sure her books are relatable and don’t ignore around the world facts/laws.

Anyway her question is…..

I am writing a book in which a man inherits a title (Lord) and an estate, including residential and commercial lettings, and wondered how soon after the death of his father he could do such things as put up rents and sell part of the land?

I appreciate there would be probate etc. but wondered if there would be any way he could be appointed to act in the best interest of the estate in the meantime; as in the estate is losing money and he could act to save it.

Much appreciated for any help.

martinhutch

He’ll be selling off part of the land to pay the Inheritance Tax. 🙂

Anyhow, if he is appointed the sole executor of the estate, then he can certainly act in the interests of the estate in terms of managing lettings/overseeing rents. That also extends to selling property, as long as he is acting in the best interests of the estate rather than himself.

verbboy
    Free Member

Hi Martin

You’ve made my wifes day thank you 🙂

maccruiskeen

Has Mr Hutch just been written into the story as a swarthy probate solicitor who likes to swim naked in the lake?

nealglover
    Free Member

He’ll be selling off part of the land to pay the Inheritance Tax 🙂

Unless his father had talked to me and done some sensible IHT planning and insured himself properly 👍

maccruiskeen

oh look out, the dashing Neal G Lover has turned up. Someones going to get their heart broken!

verbboy
    Free Member

she writes romantic comedy, if anyone is thinking about IHT liabilities whilst reading it means the book must be really bad!

martinhutch

Has Mr Hutch just been written into the story as a swarthy probate solicitor who likes to swim naked in the lake?

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a swarthy solicitor in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a partnership.

IANASPSWLTSNIAL, by the way.

verbboy
    Free Member

I’m sure an acknowledgement can be put in, Mr Darcy Hutch?

martinhutch

Shall we play guess the plot?

So we have the handsome city slicker who inherits the ruined estate. He decides to sell off some of its rented cottages to save the crumbling manor house. But he meets an combative tenant who fights his efforts, and love unexpectedly blossoms betwixt them…etc

verbboy
    Free Member

Er no

funkrodent

So we have the handsome city slicker who inherits the ruined estate. He decides to sell off some of its rented cottages to save the crumbling manor house. But he meets an combative tenant who fights his efforts, and love unexpectedly blossoms betwixt them…etc

The missus would love that. Let me know when its finished and I’ll have a copy, specially if it’s in time for Christmas

perchypanther
    Free Member

Shall we play guess the plot?

So we have the handsome city slicker who inherits the ruined estate. He decides to sell off some of its rented cottages to save the crumbling manor house. But he meets an combative tenant who fights his efforts, seeks advice  on how to thwart the troublesome tenant from a swarthy probate solicitor he’s discovered swimming naked in his lake and love unexpectedly blossoms betwixt them…etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Probate / Will Experts a quick question’ is closed to new replies.