Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pro 4 Hubs Poor Engagement…..maybe
  • simono5

Recently upgraded my wheels to Hope Pro 4 with Hope XC rims.

All seems well and a big improvement on the ones they replaced. Have to say that the engagement/pick up isn’t anywhere near what I’d expect. On going from freewheeling to pedaling there often that hollow din sound as I turn the cranks a fraction and wait for the free hub to engage.

Just wondered what others views were as surprised how poor it seems with a new and I assume modern wheel set.

letmetalktomark

Are they Hope Hoops?

I run Pro 4s on a couple of bikes and found the engagement to be almost instantaneous.

kelron
    Free Member

It’s 44 teeth, 8 degree engagement so pretty quick but I suppose it depends what you’re used to. Definitely noticeable coming from OEM and budget wheels.

tjagain

Are they new? I wonder if a pawl is sticking

bsims
    Free Member

I find my Pro 4 hoops slightly better than my Pro 2s. Not noticeable in general peddling but over rocks they feel more precise.

simono5

Yep Hope hoops and brand new to me.

I don’t think they’re faulty. Maybe my expectations were too great.

Like I say, it’s not an issue, I’m really pleased with the wheel set overall. Just a question that I wanted to ask to see how others find them.

chakaping
    Free Member

You can test by moving the crank in your hand and seeing where it clicks.

They’re pretty good IMO, a decent compromise between quick engagement and durability.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve never felt that the Hope hubs were “lacking” but I did a quick bit of research and came up with some figures for other high end hubs.

Chris King: 72 points of engagement, 5 degrees between engagement points.
    Industry Nine Torch: 6-pawl, 2-phase, 115-tooth drive ring, 3 degrees between engagement points.
    Industry Nine Hydra: 6-pawl, 6-phase, 115-tooth drive ring, 0.52 degrees between engagement points
    Onyx hubs: uses a sprag system with effectively 0 degree engagement*

*Quite how you can tell between 0.52 and zero degrees is beyond me! 0.52 degrees on a 175mm crank equates to 1.6mm of movement at the pedal

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pro 4 Hubs Poor Engagement…..maybe’ is closed to new replies.