Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Privateer 161 – Anyone per-ordered one?
  • sluff
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I’m going to, reservations are:

I’m 170cm, which is the top of of the small (but I want a 27.5, so don’t want to size up)
    Dropper insert depth (need to wait and see, they said they’re working on it)
    The seat angle – has anyone ridden anything this steep with modern geometry, does it get out the way ok? In principle I guess it should make perfect sense to be that steep.

Anyway, what are your impressions?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not ordering one, but if I was in the market for that sort of bike it would be hard to look past it.

I’ve had (recently sold) something with very similar geometry, and I am a fan of the steep seat angle. It does shorten the ETT so you are in a different position on the bike, even when they have a long reach, which can feel a bit odd to get used to, but it’s a trade off I’m prepared to make, being tall, steep seat angles are great to me.

It does however put the seat in a different position, it’s much more between your legs when it’s down and you are on steep stuff – I noticed it a lot at first but now I’m just used to things.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’m really tempted by one as a replacement for my Airdrop when that finally bites the dust. Toss up between that, a Rocket/RocketMax and possibly a Mega at the moment but from what I’ve seen it looks along the right lines.

sluff
    Free Member

I’m really tempted by an AirDrop or a Mega too, they are high on the list. This is just a bit different and I like the idea of it.

Cheers for the feedback on the saddle position.

honourablegeorge

Theres a recent Pinkbike article about how dropper posts have made the steep seat angle possible… really noticed that on first ride with a 79 SA. Trying to ride even undulating trails with saddle up is impossible, it’s right in your way. But as long as you can drop the seat, I can’t see a negative

rob8624
    Free Member

Yes ordered one. Currently ride a Airdrop v2 which is amazing but yea the price a geometry tempted me and fancy a 29er. 6ft 2 and gone for the P4 size. Closest I’ve tried to it is a Raaw which felt very good.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i’m still considering it.. might keep my bike for one more year and see what the v2 will be like! but yes it looks great i think.

honourablegeorge

sluff

Dropper insert depth (need to wait and see, they said they’re working on it)

They list it on the site:

Max Post Insertion
    P1 – 230mm
    P2 – 250mm
    P3 – 280mm
    P4 – 300mm

PRIVATEER 161

sluff
    Free Member

Perfect cheers, that’s new!

P1 about right for a 150mm OneUp V2, might even get away with a 180mm without sacrifying the saddle height to much. Will need to test on the frame.

honourablegeorge

You can shim the OneUp, can’t you? Get the 180, and shim down to 165 or whatever you need to make it work. More drop the better with a steep SA.

chiefgrooveguru

“Theres a recent Pinkbike article about how dropper posts have made the steep seat angle possible… really noticed that on first ride with a 79 SA. Trying to ride even undulating trails with saddle up is impossible, it’s right in your way.”

I think it’s that it makes the saddle higher, and further forwards, both of which make the pedalling position less like a stable position for cornering and descending.

Basically the slacker the seat angle, the more your seated position becomes like your standing position. With a super steep seat angle you’re way too high and forwards, hence you have to drop the saddle.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru

I think it’s that it makes the saddle higher, and further forwards, both of which make the pedalling position less like a stable position for cornering and descending.

I just meant that if I have the saddle up, trying to stand and move around becomes impossible, because instead of the saddle being behind you when you stand up, it’s right between your legs or even slightly in front of you, and you can’t move around it as easily.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Privateer 161 – Anyone per-ordered one?’ is closed to new replies.