Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pricing a 2nd hand frame to sell?
  • PolisherMan

If I had a 2 year old FS frame to sell, with the usual scuffs but no dents. In a popular size and possibly made near Halifax. Where would you pitch it to sell? 50% off RRP?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Look at e-bay for completed and search here and other places for comparable sold items.

Starting at 50% RRP then 10%/year after that. But also look for new bargains on the frame from the internet – some things get left over and are up at 50% for new frames etc.

That is priced “fair” so sell knock 10% off what you think is fair.

hora
    Free Member

What colour? Thats important.

iolo
    Free Member

In pristine condition 50 percent as soon as it becomes second hand – even if it’s the current model.
    So a 2 year old scratched frame is more like 70 per cent.

Gribs

I’d be looking on ebay at what similar sized/age/condition frames had sold for and knocking off 10-15% if selling somewhere that doesn’t have their high fees.

wwaswas

If you want to price it to sell then ebay with no reserve will give it’s true market value.

PolisherMan

“Safe” black!

chakaping
    Free Member

More if it’s a Five than if it’s an old-style Alpine or the new Patriot.

But you’d be very lucky to get 50% of RRP IMO, thanks to 650b.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But you’d be very lucky to get 50% of RRP IMO, thanks to 650b.

50% was fairly standard before 650 & 29 arrived on the scene, picked up a couple 1 year old complete bikes for less than 50% of RRP years ago and plenty of 29r frames/bikes go for similar price drops.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

In pristine condition 50 percent as soon as it becomes second hand – even if it’s the current model.
    So a 2 year old scratched frame is more like 70 per cent.

You can’t have a ‘blanket’ level which applies to all bikes. I’ve sold plenty of well used second hand frames for well over 50% of their retail price, let alone something nearly new & unused. It helps if they are a popular, desirable model, rather than a bike which there are 10 or 15 advertised at any one time to take your pick from.

Your best bet is to have a look on the popular sites for previous sales of similar bikes to see what sort of money they have gone for.

chakaping
    Free Member

plenty of 29r frames/bikes go for similar price drops.

True, if it’s a 29er then he’ll do better.

It might help the OP to know that I’ve just purchased a two-year-old Patriot frame in A1 condition (and with a Pushed shock) for around 30% of the RRP.

Orange RRP is quite high though.

It’s a better time to be buying than selling.

cookeaa

made near Halifax

Tried this lot?

hora
    Free Member

Its not 650b OP?

Oranges bought late before the change no longer go for 750 etc used.

I’d say 500 max. Its a single pivot after all

I paid 445 for my SC Butcher. Mine is 650b compatitable

paladin

Put on eBay fixed price with best offer for a bit more than what you expect it to fetch. Buyer offers a bit less and thinks they’re getting a bargain.

br
    Free Member

Size is also important, for the buyer – what have you got? 😉

PolisherMan

Orange Five 17″ Jet Black.

It’s all a bit depressing what you have to give them away for, but it’s gotta go!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

17″s are a popular size luckily but don’t seem to pop up too often second hand.

I paid £800 for my 26″ 2012 Five when it was a year old in near perfect condition.

Despite whats been said, the Five, especially the late 26″ versions with the tapered headtubes and 30.9mm seattubes are still hugely popular. I’d shove it up at £700 – I’d have thought you may get a bite (depending on condition) at that price. Theres a whole world of people out there running decent 26″ kit still who want a better frame to hang stuff on but don’t want the cost associated with binning perfectly good forks and wheels and having to buy 650B/29″ stuff.

Well regarded stuff keeps its value better than stuff manufacturers struggled to sell and ended up selling cheap. Orange have never suffered from that…

hora
    Free Member

But all the orange fanboi’s are selling up and onto Gyro’s etc.

I do think Orange needs some new models in production/development for the future.

Personally I think its 550 max but then you wont know until you advertise then how many people actually offer..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

People will rip your arm off for £550.

I’d stick it up for £750 on somewhere like Pinkbike. It will sell for around that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Better call Orange and let them know Hora. I was out with 10 people the other night. 5 of us were on 26″ fives. None of 650b and one on a 29er spesh.

chestrockwell

Despite whats been said, the Five, especially the late 26″ versions with the tapered headtubes and 30.9mm seattubes are still hugely popular. I’d shove it up at £700 – I’d have thought you may get a bite (depending on condition) at that price. Theres a whole world of people out there running decent 26″ kit still who want a better frame to hang stuff on but don’t want the cost associated with binning perfectly good forks and wheels and having to buy 650B/29″ stuff.

Well regarded stuff keeps its value better than stuff manufacturers struggled to sell and ended up selling cheap. Orange have never suffered from that…

Best bit of advice on this thread. I might even try at £750. Hora is way off at £500.

hora
    Free Member

Looking at recent completed auctions on ebay. Only two successful auctionss stick out- a ccdb one and a purple five.

Ebay will fetch more money. Advertise and see I guess/proof is in the advertising..

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve said it before but some folk on here always suggest to sell at the lower end of the market (after a bargain?) yes some people do ‘give stuff away’ and if you want a quick/immediate sale it’s the only way, however some people get good prices, the price you get really depends on if your happy to wait a little while for the right buyer who is will to pay the right price because a) it’s exactly what they’ve been looking for b) it close to where they live/work and they can collect giving it a good inspection c) they’ve been looking for ages for one to come up for sale local.

I’ve been looking at kit and for desirable items (Five love it or hate it is one) even at 26 still hold a good value…I keep waiting for these bargains to come along that everybody on here keeps talking about but they seem to be few and far between!

DK
    Free Member

Still for sale?

geteround
    Free Member

I have the chance to buy a evil sovereign prototype frame for 200 bux good or bad?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pricing a 2nd hand frame to sell?’ is closed to new replies.