Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)
  • Preston
  • molgrips
    Free Member

5 clean and drying in the garage, prepped for its frontmech-ectomy.

Cougar

I’ll be on a HT, given that my bike is a HT.

Cougar

Do you lot all know each other, or should we wear poppies in buttonholes or something? Maybe some sort of identifying pe(n)dant?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know any of them.

Although some of you might be the loud-mouthed northerners that typically annoy me at bike races.

Cougar

I’m not loud-mouthed, just Northern and annoying.

binners

I’m load-mouthed, northern and annoying, but extremely unlikely to be found at race meetings

grum
    Free Member

Bouncy bike it is then?

Yeah take the bouncy bike so if I do come I won’t feel out of place. Mind you JY always goes on about how he’s normally on a rigid singlespeed but I’ve never seen it.

I am northern and annoying but also terribly middle class so my northern accent isn’t that pronounced compared to the scummers from southern Lancashire.

By the way molgrips, remember to bring a chain, or a bike with a chain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont actually own a rigid SS that would be madness …its got bombers on it
    ]

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Not looked at the rest of the posts, just saw preston, clicked on last page and then saw ride round rivington, have i missed the ride?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Nope, you’ve not missed it. Come and join us.

Wednesday night 11th July . 7pm meet here

Lights shouldn’t be needed but always better to play safe and throw ’em in the bag in case of any protracted mechanicals.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Hmm wednesday damn, and 7pm a bit after my bed time :D, If i do come ill have to come on my ss as my new bike aint ready yet. I take it thats the long lane up to the top barn?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yep

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm.. got a bit of a problem. Can anyone lend me a front mech? I have a spare, I was going to replace it tonight but I forgot to bring it with me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes for what bike- ie down tube size and pull type

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I think there’s a well-used (read that as “tired”) Deore top-swing in my parts bin. Should fit a Five.
    I plan to be in Preston later tonight. Let me know where you’re staying and I can drop it in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er oh yeah, it’s my 2007 5 and it’s top pull, seatpost is 27.2mm so that makes it what, 28.4 clamp dia usually?

It looks like I’ll be in the ironically named Holiday Inn again tonight from about 7 or so.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Damn, I’d assumed a later model/wider seat-tube. I don’t think I have a proper shim but I’ll take a look for a suitable bodge.

You have my mobile no, pls ping me a txt so that I have yours and can ring you to let you know if search turns up something.

molgrips
    Free Member

Failing that, is there a shop into which I can pop to buy one?

Btw they all come oversized now but are supplied with shims…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Shops – Halfords down by the docks??
    not sure of any proper bike shps within Preston but many near ny

Ribble cycles
    Merlin
    Hewitt

I have one you can borrow.
    I may need to take my one off my 5 but that is only a double – any use?? – I am not sure what I did with the one that it replaced but will look when i get in

Mail me to sort something out

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it a double-specific front mech? Do they even make those for MTBs?

I’ll email ina bit – cheers. Are you local? Can I drive over?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Struggling to suggest a shop within walking distance.

EDIT – ah, you’re not carless then. I’ll still look and let you know but you stand a better chance with Merlin or Ribble if with car.
    Ribble being closest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m at the Marriott north of Preston tonight.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

found it, has a shim but that only takes it down to 31.8mm.
    Any good?

Going offline now – will be in Preston. Call me if you want me to drop by at Marriott.

Cougar

Hm.

Where’s this nice weather you promised me? *fret*

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Aloha Preston.

I would love to have joined in with tonight’s ride, but my bike is …err in pieces at the moment. 😳

Should be back together by next week hopefully, so if this is happening again, it would be great to meet up with you lovely people.

Hopefully next time, eh .

grum
    Free Member

Cougar, still coming apparently. Just hope it’s slightly later than this suggests.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Bolton/hour_by_hour.html

molgrips
    Free Member

How long to drive to Rivington from Preston then tonight?

lowey

Brain farted my way straight past this.

Sorry, but I’ve checked my inbox and can find NO applications to ride on my land. The bloody cheek of some people.

Have a good one. Would loved to have joined you but off the bike on Dr’s orders. I’m slowly going mad.

molgrips
    Free Member

PS Ecky Thump the mech is the right size, cheers. The reception lady was most bemused.

“Hello Mr Grips, a gentlemen has dropped off a.. ummm.. device for you at the front desk…”

Cougar

How long to drive to Rivington from Preston then tonight?

Shouldn’t take you too long, depending where you are in Preston; half an hour maybe. M65 J3.

Might be nominally quicker going down the M61 from that side, thinking about it. It’s half as far again, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

So I’m going down the A675 then over the hill? Alternative is M61 J8 then around Chorley.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

If your coming from preston, i always find it easier to come off the M61 at botany bay.

Cougar

‘s the way I’d go (though I’m coming from the other direction).

It’s signposted from the A675, you turn off just after a pub on the right. Follow the twistyturny into Rivi, then when you see the visitors’ centre on the right you turn left up the road opposite.

I’ll defer to others’ suggestions though; I’m geographically challenged at the best of times.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Just for you Molly,
    google map route

I’ll be taking the M61 and around Chorley option

binners

I don’t want to worry anyone, but there are some sort of blue-coloured gaps that have appeared in the perpetual dull greyness up above. I’m not quite sure what they are. I’ll make some inquiries and if I get any answers, I’ll let you know

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

don’t worry, they’ll soon pass and universal greyness will be restored.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, I’ll be in a grey VW Passat, like a proper middle aged IT consultant STWer, with an Orage 5 that’s by pure coincidence the exact same colour as my car.

Cougar

I’ve just found that I won’t be getting my car back today (it’s in the garage after some myopic cow couldn’t reverse out of a parking space without dragging her heavily battle-scarred Merc down the side of mine). So I’ll be in a blue-ish Astra estate I think. I’m assuming I can load a bike into the back of it, I’ve not actually tried.

Should we, like, swap phone numbers or is that far too sensible? (Email will reach my phone, anyway)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lord Lowey, Sir, please accept my most humble appologies for neglecting to submit the requisite applications to ride on your most green and pleasant of lands.

Cougar

Oh, it’s lands!

Thank god for that. I thought it said “lads”.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Preston’ is closed to new replies.