Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pressups. Which is best?
  • bigwatts
    Free Member

I haven’t done pressups for years but about a month ago I set myself the challenge of getting back up to 100 a day. I started doing sets of 10 and over a couple of weeks i was finding them easy so started doing 5x 20 then progressed to 33,33,34. This also got pretty easy so I’m now up to around 250 a day over the course of around 10 – 15 mins in 30ish per set with around 1 min in between sets unless someone walks in.

I’m wondering if sets of 30 would be more beneficial than say sets of 50 but completing the same number?

Any idea which method is best to get the most out of them? I don’t really have any reason for doing them other to be a bit fitter and stronger. I have also looked at adding weight but I usually sneak them in at the office at work while everyone is out for lunch so it inst really practical. My technique and form is good (from a video i took) and i complete a full range of motion at a steady speed.

theotherjonv

TBH, once you can do 30 or 50 in a set, I’d say you can ‘do’ press ups and doing more and more reps isn’t going to change a huge amount.

You could try adding weight, or what about doing a variety of press ups to work other groups

standard form

narrow with tight elbows

wide arm with flying elbows

diamond

also with one leg raised to work the core more

rather than just masses of the same ones?

sandwicheater

Obvious humble brag is obvious.

Slinks off in the knowledge I’d struggle at 10, humph.

zilog6128

TBH, once you can do 30 or 50 in a set, I’d say you can ‘do’ press ups and doing more and more reps isn’t going to change a huge amount.

This. You’ll get very good at doing press ups, but it’s of little functional use IMO.

One way to progress is to increase the work you’re doing against gravity by raising your feet up, with the ultimate goal of doing totally vertical (handstand) press ups.

bigwatts
    Free Member

I hadn’t though if changing position. I’m not great at wide or narrow so I can start adding some of these in.

Non of this was meant as a brag. I can’t help competing with myself and always try and do more than yesterday. That’s how I have ended up at 250 and I won’t lie. it’s hard work now.

Im sure most people can get to a point where they can do some press-ups. The first few days of starting doing them I ached like hell in places I forgot I had places. My 6 year old daughter can do 50 in sets of 10 if she is in the mood.

scaled
    Free Member

footflaps

>I’m wondering if sets of 30 would be more beneficial than say sets of 50 but completing the same number?

Beneficial in what way.

Once you’re past 10, it’s just stamina you’re working on, nothing to do with strength.

I’d work on something else like psuedo planche pushups or archer pushups…

https://gmb.io/push-up-variations/

nedrapier

I usually sneak them in at the office at work while everyone is out for lunch

the ultimate goal of doing totally vertical (handstand) press ups.

Bit trickier to get up waving a pen if you’re disturbed, as if you were only down there picking it up.

funkrodent

Those fingertip planche ones are mental. Used to do rock climbing 15 odd years ago. Went to a demo by some top climber. He was doing those as well as one armed pull ups whilst his body was horizontal and climbing fingerboards with just the index finger on each hand. Used to be able to crack out loads of standard push ups myself, doubt I could do 10 now..

bigwatts
    Free Member

Ha Ha. I have been caught a few times and used the picking up a pen excuse or plugging something into the computer under the desk.

Some interesting variations on the links above. I like the idea of doing some harder variations so will have a look at coming up with a plan.

I like the idea of one arm pushups. I have just tried and managed 8 so this can be improved. I also like the idea of handstand pressups but i’m terrible at shoulder press at he gym which i presume is similar with added balance required.

shermer75
    Free Member

What is your goal here? If you are hoping to improve your endurance capacity then it sounds like you are on the right course with the multiple reps. If increased strength and/or hypertrophy is your aim then you need to start progressing the exercise, ie make it more difficult! If you are only able to complete ten reps then you are in the right area. Good advice above re: progressing via changing position.

Ps:you need to follow with a recovery day or much of your effort will be for nought! 🙂

footflaps

>Those fingertip planche ones are mental.

Most of the challenge is being able to planche. Once you can do that the push-up bit is pretty trivial.

Planching on the other hand is a very advanced gymnastic skill.

retro83
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t do a lot unless you’re also going to do rows or pullups or something to work the opposing muscles.

I have no evidence other than I did the 100 pressups programme and am fairly sure it made my ‘rolled shoulder’ posture worse, then I looked it up and many people were complaining of the same thing.

shermer75
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t do a lot unless you’re also going to do rows or pullups or something to work the opposing muscles.

I have no evidence other than I did the 100 pressups programme and am fairly sure it made my ‘rolled shoulder’ posture worse,

This is all very much worth bearing in mind!! 🙂

footflaps

The four staples of any strength program:

Push, pull, hinge, squat.

benp1

I’ve been doing press ups in the morning before I cycle to work. I was quite pleased with myself but then the minute I changed my hand position I was struggling again, so each day I try slightly different ones

I’m nowhere close to a one handed press up, turns out I’m not so bad on stamina but have no real strength…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Footflaps has got it, the big compound lifts are best bang for buck, i would suggest 3 pulls for every push, just doing push ups is not going to end well.

A good quality push up with good cadence and form is a rare thing.

BadlyWiredDog

One-arm press-ups. More core.

Press-ups with clap. More explosive. Use a mat to start with in case you land on your face.

The trouble with elevating your feet is that it works the muscles differently – ultimately handstand things as opposed to press-up things. Or something like that.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Raise your feet – maybe put them on a med ball (double or single legged) for a bit more core.

Suicides – clap your hands behind your back (hard work on the wrists!). A variation on BWDs clap pressups ^^

Position a couple of boxes/steps either side of your hands – spring up onto those and off again. (can’t remember the proper name)

molgrips
    Free Member

Do all the variations, as above.

You can spot people who’ve done too many normal pressups because their chest gets tight and their shoulders hunch.

BillOddie

Yeah but how much you bench bro?

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>footflaps
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

The four staples of any strength program:

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Push, pull, hinge, squat.

</div>

Footflaps nailed it.

paton
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Buy some rings.

Do dips. Then add weight.

Do pullups on the rings – with added weight.

Work on horizontal holds, front and back.

Move on to planches and iron crosses.

These by far surpass messing about with a gazillion pushups.

Oh, and what footflaps said; press, row, deadlift and squat. Etc.

footflaps

>These by far surpass messing about with a gazillion pushups.

However 100+ press ups is achievable in a few weeks, whereas a full Planche / Iron Cross on rings in a multi-year project requiring incredible levels of dedication and care not to completely trash your shoulders on the journey. I ripped a pec just working on Bulgarian Ring Dips, set me back 6 months….

sirromj

Some people use pike push ups as a progression after diamond push ups:

Don’t flare elbows out like in many other vids.

Buy some rings.

Do dips. Then add weight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’ll quickly condition to do them easily so quickly become pointless. The beat method I think are there ones I do in circuits class: wide arm stance, start at the bottom, chest and chin a small low as possible off the ground and hold for 10 seconds or so. Then slow and controlled pressup then hold on the low position again. If you can do 20 of them then you’re doing well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pressups. Which is best?’ is closed to new replies.