Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Practical difference between MK1 and MK2 Berlingo
  • RustyNissanPrairie

{paging Trail_Rat to the forum}

Due to the rusting demise of my Transit I need a cheap bangernomics load lugging practical replacement that doesn’t have the current mental values of a full size van.

I’m looking at late Mk1 petrol and 2.0HDI Berlingo Multispace/Partner Teepee and early MK2 petrol’s. Trying to avoid the 1.6HDI.

How do the Mk1&2’s compare load space wise for carrying bikes and/or for sleeping in – it looks like the MK2 is narrower in the load area but can’t figure on the length with seats dropped etc.

TIA!

northernmatt

Haven’t had a MK1 but the Mk2 (I assume you mean B9 shape) is a much bigger car externally so I would take a punt on it being the same inside as well.

Why avoid the 1.6HDi? There’s plenty of horror stories but as long as it’s been looked after its a good engine. Ours is on 110k and hasn’t ever had any issues. Oil changed every 6k miles and timing belt done on schedule.

northernmatt

Haven’t had a MK1 but the Mk2 (B9 shape) is a much bigger car externally so I would take a punt on it being the same inside as well. With seats out you can fit a 2-3 bikes in just wheeled straight in.

Why avoid the 1.6HDi? There’s plenty of horror stories but as long as it’s been looked after its a good engine. Ours is on 110k and hasn’t ever had any issues. Oil changed every 6k miles and timing belt done on schedule.

RustyNissanPrairie

Oil changed every 6k miles and timing belt done on schedule.

I’d be happy with a 1.6 if I could find one that had been looked after but car buying is a minefield at the best of times so easier to just look for a 2.0 or a petrol.

Davesport

Mrs Davesport has the Mk2 Berlingo 1.6Hdi. It’s the L2 length which is the same wheelbase but about a foot longer in the body. Bought new in 2014 it’s the most reliable thing we’ve owned. The extra length allows for 3 DH size bikes with the wheels on plus all the gear. She kips in this at events with the bike inside. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

M39/49 (mkq 1 shape) slightly short to sleep in . MK2 just a tiny bit longer interior and exterior tiny bit wider exterior ….. interior is smaller width

Practical differences. Interior of MK2 more carpet plastic and sound deadening . Interior width feels narrow given exterior size.
    MK1 had a more upright driving position

Lights on MK1 were terrible.

MK1 tepees ….. Only the highest spec models had nduvidual tooless rear seat removals. Most had 60/40 bolted in bench that folded up behind the front seats…… But then you had to have front seat forward a bit iirc your tall like me so could be an issue although I found because it’s upright with a deep footwell I didn’t need the seat all way back anyway at the best of times in

I’d buy either again in a heart beat. Even looked at current gen electric Berlingo but the 180 mile range for the massive price tag stops me

Wally

mK2 HDI EScapade owner hrre- great car. Load bay with seats down is flat.

RustyNissanPrairie

But then you had to have front seat forward a bit iirc your tall like me so could be an issue although I found because it’s upright with a deep footwell I didn’t need the seat all way back anyway at the best of times in

I’m a tall lanky 6’5″ but I strangely used to find Defenders comfy for long journeys so should be okay? Do the rear seats easily unbolt if I need the extra seatroom?

Does the MK1 passenger seat tilt forward for extra load bed/sleeping length?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep it’s 4 or 6 bolts torx bolts iirc.

Only ever did it once but we had a partner van at the same time as the tepee

Neither van nor tepee MK1 folds forward in any meaningful way not the full fold flat that the MK2 van can be specced with (the MK2 tepee doesn’t do it either )

RustyNissanPrairie

👍 thanks.

Think I might expand the budget a little and try and find a decent Mk2 petrol that’s not at the opposite end of the country to me.

northernmatt

There’s a Berling/Partner group on facebook and also a related sales group, there’s usually a few pop up on there.

grum
    Free Member

My MK II has removable seats with a quick release type thing, not sure if it’s model dependant or an extra option when it was bought new.

Otherwise not a great deal of practical difference between it and the mk I I used to have, it’s just a bit nicer/newer.

I have the 1.6 E-HDI and it’s been flawless, super cheap to MOT every time.

RustyNissanPrairie

There’s a Berling/Partner group on facebook and also a related sales group, there’s usually a few pop up on there.

thanks for the heads-up, I’ve joined pending admin.
    I’ve also left my details with a localish Berlingo dealer that gets good ones in as trade in from main Citroen dealers but none in at moment.

johnx2
    Free Member

Had both. Older one is lighter, being made out of bacofoil, truer to its van DNA, and actually great to razz about in. Sorry, drive responsibly whilst frothing for a surf. The newer one is more sedate. I preferred the old one but both are great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

AIUI the issue with the 1.6 HDi isn’t the oil changing, it’s the injector seals leaking which produces the carbon which contaminates the oil.

So if it’s not dead, then just replace the injector seals every couple of years (not sure if there’s an upgrade/fix for it). Plenty of them arround still having done astronomic mileages.

Does the MK1 passenger seat tilt forward for extra load bed/sleeping length?

There’s a mod you can do, basically cut/file/pry off a tab in the hinge that stops it tilting forwards (or find a van seat at a breaker).

Only other common fault that isn’t just cheap consumables (they eat front brakes, droplinks and the top bearing in the strut) is the rear axle (check for any sort of camber in the rear, if it’s cambered it’s knackered). Replacements are about £350 for the axle, torsion rods and subframe, hubs/brakes etc on top of that if they’re not in good condition. Unless you source a matching one off a scrap car in which case it’s pretty much held on with 4 bolts plus brake line and abs wires.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh, and the rear door locks break if you just look at them too hard.

They look feindhishly complicated with cams, levers and rods everywhere, but fixing them is straightforward usually and parts are cheap. £8.50 for an entire new door handle assembly last month. And that was the 2nd time something had broken in the door within a year.

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks – I know about the rear axle, I’m handy with spanners so that doesn’t put me off them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The rear axle is such an easy swap it’s rediculious

The prices garages used to charge for a swap was comical.

My neighbour was quoted 1500 quid and looking at the Berlingo forums 12-1500 isn’t uncommon.

Jack it up , Undo brake lines -undo the 4 torx bolts roll axle out.

Pull the brakes and wheel bearings off the stubs and refit to new (yes I’m.cheap) and then put axle back under car and hook up the lines again + bleed*. All in even in the pishing rain in my garden I had it back rolling by lunch.

* As with everything it’s only 1 broken bolt away from a 6 day ordeal.

RustyNissanPrairie

undo the 4 torx bolts

with a superlong torx bit, apparently you don’t need to split the brakes hydraulics either. I’ve been doing my research!
    I just need to find one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did the swap over of the gubbins in my garage where it wasn’t raining

Disconnecting the hydraulics was a must 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Update – after a week of eBay/autotrader and MOT history I’ve bought a Pug Partner Escapade.
    83k miles, 04plate, 2.0HDI, unicorn car – paperwork for rear axle, shocks and brakes replaced in 2019 @ £950, clutch and cable @£300, gear linkages plus regular servicing, 4xnew Continentals.
    Mint condition.
    Needs a top strut bearing and bottom ball joint are on MOT as advisory so £250chipped off and I’ll do them myself. £2450 due to Covid inflation.
    Happily drove it 50mile home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbf that wasn’t a bad price for a “low” miles 2.0hdi pre covid due to the fear of the 1.6……certainly based on what I saw when I went shopping for a 2.0…..and bought a 1.6….

Still silly money for a 17 year old car mind. But with that history who can argue. Been well looked after it seems and the Peugeot’s were always better specced cabs than the Citroen’s

RustyNissanPrairie

Still silly money for a 17 year old car mind

+1 but better value than the flogged out van variants I’ve looked at that are still holding £2k+ for the 1.9 with megamiles

mick_r

Have a geek out watching these folks refurbishing axles – looks like a pretty thorough job.

RustyNissanPrairie

Stripped!
    Changing top strut bearing and wishbones as I noticed these when viewing and chipped them down to cover the costs. New discs, pads and track rod ends whilst it’s all in bits.

I knew it was good underneath as the first thing I did when viewing was to crawl underneath with my worklight.
    PSA are galvanized and this one is like new up inside the strut mounts/arches – impressive for a 17year old car.

Nice to work on, nothing seized or difficult, plenty of access room. I can see this little car/van being with us for hopefully a long time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hope you bought a diff nose seal for that gear box. …..

once you get it all back together itll weep its almost a given on these.

RustyNissanPrairie

hope you bought a diff nose seal for that gear box. …..

once you get it all back together itll weep its almost a given on these.

👍
    Have noticed the inner CV is starting to perish so 2x GKN boot kits ordered, will do seal and gearbox oil whilst I’m in there.

Have got 6 weeks till the (final) MOT runs out on my £400Golf shed so I can get everything done on the Bling-no.

FB-ATB

Like that video- at 31s the caption refers to “professional tools” as he’s hitting it with a club hammer!

Sandwich

“professional tools” as he’s hitting it with a club

That could be a reference to the operative though!

RustyNissanPrairie

Update for anyone interested!

I Fertan/epoxy/Dinitrol’d underneath as it’s a long term keeper and other than the MAF that was duff (but no engine light) it’s been fine reliability wise. De-stickered it.
    Good Berlingo forum.

Done a few miles to Snowdon and Lakes with doggo in the back and its called into action weekly for wife’s charity.

All in all Bling-no is a brilliant little car/van thing.

RustyNissanPrairie

Owned my Escapade for a few months now – fairly old at a 2004 year but with only genuine 83k miles and clearly looked after by previous few owners.

However in my ownership the following electrical gremlins have occured;

Dead MAF (replaced with new OEM unit)
    Missing digits on central information unit (replaced with a C5 display)
    Bottom row of LCD digits missing on mileometer
    Horn didnt work with ignition on (earth braid fitted to steering column)
    Headlight levelling motors chirping and groaning away (apparently requires new switch unit)
    Battery light came on miles from home and started losing 12v battery power – charged battery to get it home to repair and it was then fine (changed alternor anyway as a precaution)
    Fuel gauge went up on one occasion but reset when brimmed
    Due to above issue and monitoring fuel economy I noticed this tank full that the tripmeter has randomly added 100 miles and jumped from 299 to 400 missing out the 300’s completely.
    Rear tailgate interior lights dim really quickly – annoying when drying dog at night after a walk.
    Radio stalk doesn’t work (used replacement fitted also doesn’t work)

I know ‘French car electrics’ and all that but this is getting annoying now – the mechanical bits of it are good and it’s easy to work on but I can’t see me keeping it much longer if this is going to be the experience of Berlingo ownership.

DickBarton

I’m completely ignorant about car electrics but have you checked all fuses are correct and working?

RustyNissanPrairie

Fuses are fine – it’s a combination of early canbus wiring systems and general french malaise when it comes to automotive electrics

28mpg
    Free Member

Just sounds like an 18 year old car to me .

Low miles is largely irrelevent. Time kills cars. Time standing even more so – unless in climate controlled environment)

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Do any of the berlingo / partner trim levels come with AC as standard? Going to need a second car for commuting and wales/peak/lakes trips sometime this year so want to start looking

Ambrose

Berlingo XTR has ff a/c.

RustyNissanPrairie

Boring update but this little French van car thing has passed another MOT today with no advisories. Not bad for a 20 year old car!

I must say that its slowly become one of my most favourite vehicles I’ve owned, it’s fun to drive in a soft roly poly wobbly kinda way, parts are cheap, it’s easy to work on and it’s economical to run. Pity MrsRNP hates it!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.