• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by NJA.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Power of Attorney Q – Donor’s DOB is wrong, can it be amended?
  • IHN

My mum and dad have each recently done Finance and Health and Welfare Powers of Attorney. They’ve been registered and come back and on one of them my Mum’s DoB is wrong. We did the forms ourselves, it’s a cock-up that no-one noticed at the time.

So, simple question, can the Donor’s DoB be amended if the amendment is countersigned by the Donor?

Tracey

Best bet is to give them a ring. They are very good and helpful on the phone

thecaptain
    Free Member

I think so, and the “administrative amendment” should probably be notified to the Office of the Public Guardian.

You don’t have to do a new one if someone’s address changes.

My wife and I are just doing ours, though haven’t quite decided whether to hand the kill switch to each other, or leave it with doctors.

IHN

Best bet is to give them a ring. They are very good and helpful on the phone

Tried twice so far, 45 minutes on hold each time and then cut off. Grr.

Everything I’ve managed to find online suggests that a registered PoA cannot just be amended on the thing itself, so I don’t know how we go about getting it amended ‘officially’.

Anyone have any informed input whilst I try for third time lucky on the phone?

Tracey

That’s my understanding. I think they have tightened up a lot on what’s acceptable in the last 2 years

mattyfez

I fear it might be a case of doing new forms as that seems to be the way of things these days, but that would suck as it’s about 80 quid for each POA.

I think you’ll just have to persevere on the phone for now.. It may be that the existing POA would still stand with the incorrect DOB, but that’s a question only the powers that be could answer, I think.

I suppose you could consult a lawyer but by the time you’ve paid them you may aswell just make new POA’s to supercede the current ones.

IHN

It may be that the existing POA would still stand with the incorrect DOB,

Yeah, to be honest I bet it only matters if anyone we register it with actually notices, but best to be sure.

Telephone try number three, 35 minutes in, “You are currently number 13 in the queue”

IHN

….aaand cut off, just as I’d got to number 11 in the queue. FFS

oldtennisshoes

Anyone have any informed input whilst I try for third time lucky on the phone?

Depends how wrong it is. When I’ve used them for both my parents in the past, I’ve never been asked for proof of ID of either of them (donor).

Yeah, to be honest I bet it only matters if anyone we register it with actually notices, but best to be sure.

Thinking about this, I went with the paper copies to the local branch. I think you can now register them online with most banks, so they are bound to notice a change in DOB, I would imagine.

fossy

We had a mistake on one of the POA’s and it was our error – another DOB one, but my wife’s, and not her mum – I think it was a total of four forms for the Finance and Health POA’s and one was wrong. – It was pointed out to us by the Government Department, but we didn’t have to change it – keep trying !

IHN

Thinking about this, I went with the paper copies to the local branch. I think you can now register them online with most banks, so they are bound to notice a change in DOB, I would imagine.

Luckily the finance one is correct, it’s the Welfare one that has the mistake.

ernielynch

Deleted : Posted on the wrong thread!

Anna-B
    Free Member

aaand cut off, just as I’d got to number 11 in the queue. FFS

Why not e mail the OPG to ask?

customer-services@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk

IHN

Why not e mail the OPG to ask?

I have, they aim to respond within 25 days…

Greybeard
    Free Member

My understanding is that any additional marking on the PoA could invalidate it. Pending a reply from the OPG, I would type out a separate sheet of paper, to the effect “The DoB on my PoA is incorrect it should be ddmmyyyy” and have it signed and dated by the donor, with a witness (ideally the same witness as for the PoA). Then you can produce it if the DoB is queried.

beagle
    Free Member

I had similar. My DOB was incorrect on one of four applications after taking ages to confirm them being registered. Solicitors suggested a new one. We decided the last thing we want when actually needing to use them would be questions raised – small cost for a fresh one in the grand scheme of things (unless time critical?). I remember them taking 8-12 weeks to process.

oldtennisshoes

Luckily the finance one is correct, it’s the Welfare one that has the mistake.

I suspect that’s likely to be easier to live with.

kilo

Luckily the finance one is correct, it’s the Welfare once that has the mistake.

M experience with the h&w lpa, for my father, is that one it was loaded onto the NHS system that I was the attorney as well as next of kin, no one ever asked to see it, even when doing matters such as keeping him in a care home and end of life care plan. In fact I’m not even sure the GPs asked for a copy and the residential care home he ended up in didn’t.
    It may be that the minor error will be of less concern to the health care system if it is clearly for the correct person.

NJA

The rules say revoke it and do a new one. You shouldn’t try and amend it.

If you use it and nobody notices then all well and good, but it would be best practise to do a new one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.