Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Power of attorney & French authorities
  • Dickyboy

Anyone one know if or how well French authorities deal with UK power of attorney. In laws have an old house in Corsica which they’ve rented out to locals and we need to make sure lease is all okay.

MrFart
    Free Member

You need to contact a ‘Notaire’ in Corsica (there is usually one in each comune) – property law in France is a quagmire and rental law even worse….

Dickyboy

Thanks Mr Fart, we are in the fortunate position of having my French brother to help out with the property but he has no experience of UK poa.

shooterman

It might be worthwhile checking with the Law Society. They might be able to advise of firms with Corsican agents or indeed have a UK based lawyer with the necessary qualifications and registrations to deal with it for you directly.

Dickyboy

Thanks shooterman, will give that a go.

uwe-r
    Free Member

My Dad is currently executor of one of his mates estates, he has POA and their is a French property involved. To say it is moving slowly is a massive understatement.

My dad is not due anything from the sale of the french property but others are and it is causing some issues. Its not a great situation where the local French administration seem to be totally unconcerned with the fact they sit on things endlessly, literally months can go buy and they will do nothing. This has been going on over a year so it was not the virus that delayed them, they just don’t respond. If you know the local Maire then I suspect it moves faster, or you buy him a bottle of wine and he will listen to your grievances. If your not locakl or you are dealing via english lawyers then things can literally get nowhere.

Good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Power of attorney & French authorities’ is closed to new replies.