Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Potential new bike and can't believe I'm asking this question…
  • jamj1974

Will I really notice a difference with 650b wheels?

I’m not looking for a row or trolling, interested in true real-world experiences now the dust has settled a little on the wheel size debates. I know it will be a bit of a self-selecting group that chooses to respond, but that’s fine.

I’m considering changing my bike and everyone I’m looking at is 650b – because that’s the way the market has gone. There isn’t much choice in 26″ so I dont want a debate about that as much as I love my 26″ wheel bikes – another isn’t on the cards.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jamj1974

Ha! Ha! I’m serious!

robowns
    Free Member

You won’t find any new 26inch bikes so its not really a question worth asking.

miketbrown
    Free Member

A lot depends on other factors and how much they differ from your current bike – geometry, travel, tyres, etc, etc. But in my experience 650b does make a noticeable difference. Better at rolling along – they climb and descend faster. I haven’t noticed any discernable difference in manoeuvrability either. Give it go. You wont know for sure until then 🙂

singlespeedstu

Have you thought about 650B+ 😉

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few 650b bikes and prefer my 26er. The only new 26ers available I think are Transition Suppressor and Kona Process 167 so unless they’re what you’re after then you’re gonna have to go 650b. Next year will be new frame time for me and that’s what I’ll be doing. Transition Patrol Carbon probably

welshfarmer

Grab a Liteville 301 and have the best of both 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

I came back from the Alps 7 weeks ago adamant I had to have a 650b new bike.

I’ve come to realise that my 26″ wheeled Meta is brilliant for 95% of the riding I do – ie this country.
    The nominal difference in wheel size, a slightly slacker angle here and there, and 1 x 11 won’t make me a better rider. I’ll be paying £3k to get something with better spec and will be left with a great bike that will be worth peanuts in the 2nd hand market.

I’m hanging onto it for another year at least and see how what the market’s doing then.

jamj1974

My full suspension bike is 8 years old and has 26″ wheels, it’s an S-Works Enduro and it’s been great. I’ve replaced almost everything over the years but now I think the time has come to replace the frame.

The only new 26ers available I think are Transition Suppressor

I do like that, but concerned that I might regret buying it as 26″ seems to be the past…

Next year will be new frame time for me and that’s what I’ll be doing. Transition Patrol Carbon probably

That’s what I’m looking at. Looks like an amazing bike. Bit like my Enduro but with many of the modern developments.

Lummox

Swapped from a 26″ five to a 650 patrol.

Feels the same but I’m quicker over the same trails, I believe this is down to the more modern geometry and perhaps fractionally the wheel size ( although not sold on that)

Where I buying again, I’d of bought the suppressor in 26″ and saved a fortune in new components and tyres.

Denis99
    Free Member

I have bought two new bikes this year.

One is a 29+, the other is 27.5.

The 27.5 feels very similar to the 26 bike of old.

The 29+ although, does feel very different.

The 27.5 performs just like a 26 inch wheel in my opinion, and I can’t tell the difference really.

The 29+ does have a lot more momentum rolling on the flat or downhill.
    However, slower climbing does not feel as easy, and it can “stall” on some of the slower technical climbs etc.

jamj1974

Where I buying again, I’d of bought the suppressor in 26″ and saved a fortune in new components and tyres.

It’s crossed my mind but I’ve got a bike I’m passing the forks to and the wheels will go on a future 26″ build for my daughter.

rickon
    Free Member

Good geometry is more important and far more noticeable than wheel size.

Every year bikes have improved a fair amount in Geometry, so a lot of folk will compare their 2005 26er to a 2015 650b and say it rides more confidently, or has more grip, and how they smashed their pb on strava.

Most of that is better Geometry, better suspension technology, and new bike placebo.

Buy a new bike with 650b wheels, it will definitely be better than your 26 wheeled bike. Mainly because bike designers have designed better bikes for you.

jamj1974

The 27.5 feels very similar to the 26 bike of old.

That’s what I’m expecting and quietly hoping for.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Think rick’s hit the nail on the head there.

I must precise I will be getting a patrol carbon only if I can get it in the same blue as Lars’ prototype

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Many foctors make a good bike, I’ve ridden some truly bad 26″ bikes so the wheels can’t be that special.
    Money wise I wouldn’t commit to a new 26″ bike today, mine is 2 years old and I’ll run it to the ground. I bought just before the 650 explosion, then it was a great deal with heaps off and lots of spares. Forks would be my main worry going forward. There is so much choice around these days if you ignore the wheel size and just try the bike see what happens.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ride a load of different bikes and buy the one that feels best, don’t even think about the wheel size.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I asked my Mrs how she felt about riding an extra inch and a half..she said it made a huge difference… 😀

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have recently gone 650B from 26 and can’t tell you there is any discernible difference at all.
    However, new bikes are always faster so of course you will beat your recent Strava times.

kerley
    Free Member

You won’t notice much if any difference but as others had said you don’t really have a choice anyway.

12mm radius change is not going to change the world and you could almost get that going from a skinny low volume tyre to a fat high tyre on the same rim.

I have no desire to change to 650b for the sake of it and happy with 26 but if I was buying a new bike it would be 650b without a doubt.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

My shan came with changable dropouts to run 26 or 650b. Just changed to 650b so its the same bike and only differences are a slightly longer rear triangle(couple of mm) slightly higher bb(which should be a negative) and the wheelsize. I noticed a big difference! Rolls better, less effort to maintain speed and smoother over small bumps/small roots. Not massive changes in grip though.

MoreCashThanDash

I hired a Clockwork 650b at Kirroughtree a couple of weeks back, then rode the blue again on my 26″ a couple of days later.

It rode nicely, felt smoother, ironed out some of the bumps.

Possibly with it being a one ride event, I struggled to get it to turn in on tighter corners.

If I had the money, I’d buy one, but I’m not busting a gut over it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

no trolling but you’d have to be crazy to buy a new 26er. Have you seen the prices for 2nd hand 26ers? People are practically giving them away.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My current bike is ten years old. It’s fantastic for all that I do. However, it will be replaced with a 650b simply because the support doesn’t, or soon won’t exist, for high end 26″ bikes.

jamj1974

Good geometry is more important and far more noticeable than wheel size.
    Every year bikes have improved a fair amount in Geometry, so a lot of folk will compare their 2005 26er to a 2015 650b and say it rides more confidently, or has more grip, and how they smashed their pb on strava.
    Most of that is better Geometry, better suspension technology, and new bike placebo.
    Buy a new bike with 650b wheels, it will definitely be better than your 26 wheeled bike. Mainly because bike designers have designed better bikes for you.

I think that’s likely to be the case on all your points.

jamj1974

I have no desire to change to 650b for the sake of it and happy with 26 but if I was buying a new bike it would be 650b without a doubt.

Same place I’m at.

jamj1974

no trolling but you’d have to be crazy to buy a new 26er

Maybe.

My current bike is ten years old. It’s fantastic for all that I do. However, it will be replaced with a 650b simply because the support doesn’t, or soon won’t exist, for high end 26″ bikes.

People have said that won’t happen, but that’s my worry.

jimjam
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member

no trolling but you’d have to be crazy to buy a new 26er. Have you seen the prices for 2nd hand 26ers? People are practically giving them away.

please direct me to these giveaway bikes and I’ll help the owners dispose of them.

anniison
    Free Member

I switched to 27.5 recently as well, after much procrastination about wheel size. It does feel different to me, but expect a lot of that is down to frame geometry as others have said. I do find I feel they need a little more ‘push’ to get going (but this marginal) and once they are they certainly roll faster. I do feel they dont have as much ‘flickabilty’ fun factor as the 26 inch bikes I have, on the other hand Im riding much more aggressively on the 27.5 as it rolls more, and this has translated to additional confidence on the 26 inchers. I can say Im loving having both options, depending on what mood Im in and what kind of ride Im going for!

philjunior
    Free Member

I asked my Mrs how she felt about riding an extra inch and a half..she said it made a huge difference…

My wife says she can tell the difference between 24mm extra and 1.5 inches extra…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Potential new bike and can't believe I'm asking this question…’ is closed to new replies.