Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Wireless festival idiots v a brave Bobby!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was safer right – no arguments

ton

our views and opinions differ. life is such.
    I for one have nothing to fear from a armed police force or a return of capital punishment. some people do I suppose, for some reason or another.

stewartc
    Free Member

At no time in British history would a sentence of capital punishment have been imposed for entering a music festival without a ticket.

Some may have been deported to Australia for attempting to do that during the London stint of Handels celebrated 1784 tour?

GrahamS

ask you parents or grand parents, they may have the same rose tinted glasses as myself.

Yeah I’ll be sure to ask my mum, who grew up in the Gorbals in Glasgow, home of the infamous Glasgow razor gangs. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

some people do I suppose, for some reason or another.

As a country the UK would have executed innocent people.
    Many studies show that capital punishment doesn’t stop crime
    The US being a great example of that
    Giving guns to everyday coppers doesn’t seem to make the american people any safer – especially the ones who get shot without getting a fair trial or who are completely innocent.

wwaswas

I for one have nothing to fear from a armed police force or a return of capital punishment. some people do

me neither but I worry for the people who, through no fault of their own, end up having to fear armed police or capital punishment.

There’s enough evidence of armed police shooting the wrong people and the criminal justice system giving death sentences to the wrong person that I don’t think that either armed police or the death sentence solves any problems in a way that I find acceptable and, for some, it ends in their unnecessary death.

MSP

no a safer past because people were afraid of breaking the law and the fallout from it. because police were respected.

Was it safer when you and your football hooligan mates smashed up a bar, or when your buddy sexually assaulted a women? You didn’t seem afraid of braking the law then, why apply different standards now?

I for one have nothing to fear from a armed police force or a return of capital punishment. some people do I suppose, for some reason or another.

You appear totally disconnected from you own past actions and what you know propose.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ton – Member
    our views and opinions differ. life is such.

Aye like jean charles de menenzes.

Guilty of wearing a ipod. Magic, let’s have more of that kinda justice.

ton

msp, because I became a better person and turned over a new leaf.

also, I was in the bar, not with the leeds fans, I don’t like or do football. I was on a stag do.

ton

aye, or Keith Blakelock.

BigDummy
    Free Member

because I became a better person and turned over a new leaf.

All without being executed?

I was on a stag do.

This thread is amazing.

😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

ton – Member
    aye, or Keith Blakelock.

Would you like to see another 90 or so Blakelocks per year?

That’s what what you are proposing.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ton, where would you rather be then? and what do you base that “safer” less neds assumption on?

ton

That’s what what you are proposing.

no I am not.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Yes you are. look at the american stats and divide them by 7 for an rough indication.

MSP

Using a 30 year old murder of a policeman as an example of there being more respect for the law in the past 😆

mogrim

Yes you are. look at the american stats and divide them by 7 for an rough indication.

A better comparison would be to France, Spain or Germany – similar sized countries without the utter lunacy that is allowing ordinary citizens to carry arms.

ton

msp, no just showing there are 2 sides to every argument.

charles de menenzes. keith blakelock. same difference.

GrahamS

Top 21 Countries for Executions by executions per million citizens:

Iran  2,233
    Saint Kitts and Nevis 1,923
    Saudi Arabia 1,552
    Equatorial Guinea 1,006
    Iraq 827
    China 735+
    Yemen 668
    Libya 646
    North Korea 429
    Somalia 239
    Botswana 203
    Palestine 199
    Bahrain 160
    Syria 153
    Oman 143
    Afghanistan 120
    Pakistan 99
    Belarus 95
    Sudan 84
    Singapore 79
    United States 70

All lovely peaceful havens eh?
    Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that list?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

aye, or Keith Blakelock.

That was 30 years ago though. When apparently it was safer because people respected the police.

Doesn’t compute.

hora
    Free Member

GrahamS – the stats are skewered.

In at 1…Iran
    2. China
    3. Saudi Arabia
    4. Iraq
    5. United States

Wireless festival idiots v a brave Bobby!

Yep- I think hes brave. How easy would it have been for one of those to swing at him, a knife in the ribs etc? Just because the security was there doesn’t mean they’d hang around if it went anymore feral.

ton

like I said, it is what I believe. end of.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    A better comparison would be to France, Spain or Germany – similar sized countries without the utter lunacy that is allowing ordinary citizens to carry arms.

I know, but the american stats look much better! 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is claiming that you don’t really believe it….

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ton – Member

Cleared for Taxi and Take off

GrahamS

GrahamS – the stats are skewered.

So every year they execute 5% of their population?

Nope, it is measured in executions per million citizens.

Saint Kitts and Nevis only executed 1 person in 2007-2012, but given they only have a population of 52,000 that equates to an unusually high rate.

You can sort the wiki table by the absolute total instead (which is perhaps fairer to the very small populations, but less so for large populations) and the list is still very bad company: Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, United States, Pakistan, Yemen, North Korea, Vietnam, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria..

Not exactly crime-free utopias.

ton

hardly really. I stated what I think, some people don’t think like me. life is such.
    I am going for some fried animal flesh now….something else some people don’t like. I can live with that too.

grum
    Free Member

ton – peoples’ memories are incredibly poor and subjective and we have all sorts of biases, which is why you have to question your own personal hunches and look at actual verifiable evidence. Which shows that violent crime has if anything reduced quite significantly.

But then ‘you can prove anything with facts’.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ton – Member
    I stated what I think, some people don’t think like me.

I wouldn’t say I don’t like ye, I’ve never met you to form that opinion tbh and wouldn’t form that opinion of anyone on the interweb without meeting them. But some of your ideas are mental and need challenged! 😆 you come across as fine when not speaking loonball! 😀

edit: oops, I read that wrong, but still I’ll leave my post! 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

HA!
    Looks like a great festival anyway.

firestarter
    Free Member

Grenade !!

Seosamh77 is it not true that had jean charles de menenze not been over here illegally he would still be alive? Granted death by firing squad my be a little strong for over staying your welcome but you breaks the law you takes your chances

Runs off to avoid the shrapnel 🙂

kimbers

Seosamh77 is it not true that had jean charles de menenze not been over here illegally he would still be alive? Granted death by firing squad my be a little strong for over staying your welcome but you breaks the law you takes your chances

Silly comment
    His residency status didn’t have any influence on the police who executed him

GrahamS

is it not true that had jean charles de menenze not been over here illegally he would still be alive?

From a BBC news report at the time:

Mr Straw met Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim in London, where they discussed the return of Mr Menezes’ body to Brazil.

Both Mr Straw and Mr Amorim said they believed he was living in the UK legally – though there are reports that his precise immigration status is still being checked.

“I haven’t got any precise information on his immigration status, my understanding is he was here lawfully,” Mr Straw said.

The Home Office could not confirm his immigration status but said they were looking into it “as a matter of urgency”.

If the Home Office didn’t know his immigration status then how was it a factor in his shooting?

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve not been reading this since last night. where have we got to now? has Mr Angry offered to hit anyone yet?

GrahamS

No, but he is happy enough to be executed if he does.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think we were on the verge of national service but he gave up before we got to that card.

ton

also, I may add, national service would be a good idea. and borstal’s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

would it help get the crime rates back up to the levels of the good old days?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Wireless festival idiots v a brave Bobby!’ is closed to new replies.