Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Posting a cordless drill with the batteries
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’m planning to post a cordless drill, all in the DeWalt kit box. It comes with 2 lithium batteries, one will be in the drill, the other will be in its storage slot in the kit box.
    Did anyone know if the lithium batteries are going to complicate things? I read the post office text which is a bit vague.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’d pack it well and not tell them.

tmb467
    Free Member

Use a courier

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably cheaper to use someone else. Try parcel monkey for a quote. Worth adding insurance. Usually easier to drop off than the post office, too

Flaperon

You cannot use Royal Mail – they can’t accept items like this because there’s a risk that it might end up on an aircraft. You could try just lying at the post office, but stuff is scanned as it goes through the system and you run the risk of it being binned. You can use your imagination to consider the worst-case scenario.

Send it with CollectPlus, they have no restrictions on things like this.

scotroutes

Royal Mail.

They’ll put a sticker on at the PO to identify it as a “risk”.

I’ve done this with bike lights etc.

escrs
    Free Member

Most companies wont take any battery over 100wh that is not connected to its device

Royal mail will dispose of any battery they find in their system that does not meet their criteria and will offer no compensation , if you do send it via RM without telling them you also run the risk of prosuction if the battey were to cause a fire

There are companies that will take batteries over 100wh that are not connected to their device (shops post out e bike batteries to customers who want a spare) but i have struggled to find a company who wwill do this for a 2nd hand battery, most will only accept brand new batteries being sent via a business account (companies selling batteries are more trusted to package the battery properly and safely compared to the public)

Collect plus will not take batteries and will not offer any compensation and will hold you liable for any damages, costs or expenses resulting from your parcel (its in their terms and conditions)

Parcel Monkey wont even accept kids toys or electronics with batteries in them they have to be removed, they wont take sat nav’s camera’s etc.. as they have built in batteries

Most companies have had a clamp down on lithuim batteries in the last year or so due to quite a few plane fires, once a battery catches fire they are very hard to put out

In short its bloody hard to find someone to take a 2nd hand 100wh+ battery legally and safely!

spooky_b329

Connect one battery to the drill. Connect the other battery to the charger. They are both connected to the device which opens up certain couriers 🙂

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Connect one battery to the drill. Connect the other battery to the charger. They are both connected to the device which opens up certain couriers 🙂

That is what the guy in the post office told me last night. But he wasn’t convinced the battery in the charger would be permitted. Looks like I’ll do collection only.

Flaperon

I said in my post that Collect+ will take lithium ion batteries.

slackalice
    Free Member

if you do send it via RM without telling them you also run the risk of prosuction…

That almost sounds like a risk worth taking

136stu
    Free Member

That almost sounds like a risk worth taking

Probably so if the destination is unlikely to include a flight.

scotroutes

Like I said above. Royal Mail. Post Office will supply a sticker.

Restricted Items

Batteries not connected to or posted with the device it is intended to power

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-and-restricted-items—advice-for-personal-customers

boomerlives
    Free Member

@136stu.- Do you fancy pro-suction too? Or the amateur version?

136stu
    Free Member

Ha, either would be nice!

77ric
    Free Member

Royal Mail will accept your package as is, device with one battery connected and one spare is allowed, there are certain provisos, none of which will affect you and your lithium ion batteries. Assuming your are not going international.

Make sure your drill is well packaged, and make sure to declare the contents of the package to the post office who will apply the appropriate RMDGD1 or RMDGD2 sticker.

As you mentioned it’s a DeWalt, make sure you are aware of the insurance limits of each service. If your package weighs in at over 2 kilos, which seems likely then Parcelforce 48 will be cheaper than Royal Mail second class and will provide greater insurance and will be tracked signed and guaranteed.

I run a post office, so unlike a lot of the advice you will get I actually know what I’m talking about.

Oh yeah make sure your name and address are on the back of the package.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Whatever you do avoid Hermes!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Posting a cordless drill with the batteries’ is closed to new replies.