Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Portugal for Winter Riding?
  • ready

I rode Malaga in January this year, and although it was good fun, it was slightly scary with the looseness and rockiness of the trails.
    Has anyone ridden in Portugal with either Wheelers or Holiday Empire? What are the trails like?
    Any experiences good and bad would be appreciated!

samunkim
    Free Member

Loose & rocky & hilly along the Algarve.
    Sandy inland with cheap beer and food.. Weather warm in the sun most of winter with odd rainy days. Spring is my favourite.
    Loads of races during the winter since summer is to hot to compete.

100mph
    Free Member

Wheelers ride some ace trails, including the world cup DH track if you want some proper MTB 😉

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve been riding on the Algarve in winter a few times, we hired bikes & gps from our hotel reception for a couple of days self guided (bike were delivered to the hotel – think they were called NumberOneBikes) it was good, took us 20+ miles off the beaten track – I’d not like to do it in summer.
    On another trip we rode from a bike shop in Albufeira guided with a group of mixed ability & it was fairly tame 12 miles but the owner said they do harder rides & uplifted stuff if they get at least 6 riders (think they were called tracks & tours)
    It was low 20’s in December during the day with zero rain.
    That Wheelers website is terrible & its not obvious which country you’d be riding in let alone which airport they transfer from.
    Holiday Empire 6 nights Sunday – Saturday seems odd as well.

fitz4x4
    Free Member

I’ve lived in the Algarve for the past 4 winters. The weather and the riding is great. When I first came I did some riding with Jim at The Mountain Bike Adventure and they were great. They are based in Lagos which is 7 euros on the train from Faro Airport. There are hundreds of miles of tracks and with a bit of work you can plan a ride from Strava. The mountain inland from Portimao is Serra de Moncique with peaks at Foia and Picota. There are loads of tracks and trails. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189117-d2367519-Reviews-The_Mountain_Bike_Adventure-Lagos_Faro_District_Algarve.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Portugal for Winter Riding?’ is closed to new replies.