Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Portsmouth Naval Yard
  • timbur
    Free Member

So, is it worth it for a day out with the family?
    Looking at the Full Naval Ticket next month. Looks good value all barr the Mary Rose which I’m not too bothered about.
    Experiences please……

alanl
    Free Member

Yes. I went down 2 years ago just to look at the Submarine in Gosport. Just that was worth it.
    With the full day ticket you can go on the launch that travels between the sites. We had to walk, as only full day payers can get on it in Portsmouth. We had to use the ferry to get across, then walk the mile or so to see the sub. It would have been better to have the full day ticket.
    Its a big area to cover, so dont expect to see it all.

dovebiker

I used to work in the dockyard and the Museum areas were always pretty busy – the Victory tour is quite interesting – I got an after hours tour with the officer of the watch. Lots to see and do, certainly a day’s worth.

slackalice
    Free Member

Historic dockyard and Mary Rose museum and everything else? Definitely, a day won’t be long enough, enjoy.

nuke

Definitely a whole day out…we always enjoyed it, as did our kids. Must go again soon. HMS Warrior was i think our favourite exhibit

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Looks good value all barr the Mary Rose which I’m not too bothered about.

The Mary Rose is superb – I’d see that first!

Yak

Just saw the Mary Rose a couple of days ago. Really good. Well I saw it from the beach in 1982 and in a tent in 1983, but it’s a stunning set up now.

The rest is well worth it too.

Hasn’t The Mary Rose has declared independence – you now have to buy a separate ticket?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes, superb.

You’ll need to make it a long day out, it’s vast.

The ticket gets you a year of free entry. In 2018 we went for 4 days over the year and didn’t see the same thing twice. (Expect Victory and the Harbour Tour which we did twice.)

As others have said, Mary Rose is separate now. Don’t do both on a single day trip, there’s just too much to see.

stick_man

As others have said its really good and extensive, we did it over two days, too much for one day really

outofbreath
    Free Member

(I wrote 2018, I meant June 2018-June 2019.)

jimmydee1984
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mary Rose. We went in the summer – great museum and almost too much to see. Our 8 year old found it interesting too.

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I’m going to get the “do it all” ticket this time and maybe top it up with the Mary Rose for a second visit.
    We’re local enough to go back at some point.
    Cheers
    Tim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Portsmouth Naval Yard’ is closed to new replies.