• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Neb.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Portable DAC
  • supercarp

I have some decent cable headphones and I started to look at also getting some Bluetooth wireless one for using with phone etc. Then I saw a portable Bluetooth DAC and thought I could get one and use my decent headphones and benefit of Bluetooth.

I know nothing about DACs anyone got any advice on them benefits/negatives?

hatter

Chord Mojo is the king of portable DAC’s you’ll need a very high quality source and some nice cans to justify one though.

Used a DAC for many years but now just have decent bluetooth headphones (Sony WH-1000X MK3’s) for out and about and they are just easier for the office and out and about.

I do miss my Grados though.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cyrus Soundkey is all you’ll need*. I believe they’ve come down to around £60 from £99.

*unless you’re a serious aphile

northernsoul

I use a Meridian Explorer (USB DAC) with AKG K612 Pro headphones – awesome sound quality. I listen to most of music with either HQ Player or Audirvana, as these work well with the DAC and my music is all lossless (flac). The DAC is needed as the headphones are high impedance and difficult to drive well otherwise.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

AudioQuest Dragonfly. USB Dac. 3 different varieties. Standard black version will work with PC, and also work with your phone. Red version if you’re headphones need a bit of power to run optimally. Cobalt (I think it’s called) is their top end but it’s kinda pricey.

Don’t really see the point of a bluetooth DAC as BT is compressed and lossy. Kinda defeats the point. Newer BT headphones audio codecs are pretty decent now too which also negates the need use a DAC.

prettygreenparrot

I just got a FiiO BTR3.  More to use as a BT connector than a DAC since I accidentally sent my griffin iTrip Clip through the wash. The BTR3 has a crisper sound than the Griffin.

as a backup I also got a FiiO uBTR. Half the price, 2/3 the size of the BTR3. Cant be used as a wire-connected DAC. The sound is better than the griffin, and only a little different from the BTR3. A little less bright.

BT being ‘lossy and compressed’ is interesting. I’d assumed that the AAC/whatever file was transmitted verbatim via BT and decoded in the BT receiver/DAC.

edit. Forgot to mention I use these BT connectors to connect my iPhone to some custom 64Ears IEMs.

edit1 assumptions eh? https://m.habr.com/en/post/456182/

edit2 and in real life a half-deaf old codger like me is unlikely to notice the difference between AAC through wires and AAC through BT https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

Neb

I’ve just picked up a Fiio BTR3 from eBay (£30 in new condition) I’ve been really impressed. Streaming 320kbps Spotify over LDAC @990kbps means it’s as good as wired, the DAC is better quality than my phone’s DAC so it sounds better than the same headphones wired from my phone.

Next job is to get the soldering iron out and to shorten the headphone cable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Portable DAC’ is closed to new replies.