Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Port – any recommendations/offers?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Quite enjoyed a drop of Port last year having never really drank it before, any recommendations or has anyone seen any decent offers on it?

Thanks

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Port

Drac

Aldi if they doing it again.

sbob
    Free Member

Hide a generous measure in the bottom of a pint of Guinness. 😀

woody2000

Local Tesco had Cockburns Special Reserve at £8 t’other day. Tasted good with a mince pie on our xmas ride Monday evening 😉

drlex
    Free Member

Budget?

Assuming under a tenner:
    M&S have a 50cl “decanter” of port at £8, but Sainsbury’s have a similar Dow’s Trademark for £6.75 (75cl). A nicer one is the 10 y.o. Maynard’s at Aldi for £9.99.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Happy to spend up to £20 on a bottle. Last years was Taylor’s 10 Year Old Tawny which wasn’t bad…but I have nothing to compare it to.

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve just drank a bottle of Lidl port over the last two nights, bloody lovely it was.
    14 quid a bottle, can’t remember what it was called though as the bottle has been thrown away.

budgierider67

This one is on offer at £7 in store at M&S at the moment and is very nice too;

Oporto Finest Reserve

sam_underhill

Grahams 10 year old tawny is a lovely drop and was on offer @ £16 in waitrose last week.

edhornby

The aldi own brand ruby is cracking for the sub£10 bracket, not too sweet but nice finish

If you are spending more than £15 then go to an independent wine shop, the expensive stuff at a supermarket is no better than the budget stuff

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Tawney is lighter (colour, “body” and taste) than a traditional Port (I like both types) but just be aware of the differences. Happy tasting.

mikeyp

Warre’s Otima 20yr tawny was £20 in Lidl. That’s a great price

kjcc25
    Free Member

Bought some from M&S yesterday £8.00, selling it off at half price. They were letting you sample it, tasted very nice, though I’m no expert on port.

Andy_B

If you’re getting the port in make sure you have enough for a few cheeky vimtos.

Cheeky

ransos
    Free Member

Lidl are doing a 1997 Colheita (aged tawny) for about £16. A total bargain at that price, I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Top recommendation – strict limit of one or two glasses.

CheesybeanZ

The aldi own brand ruby is cracking for

Hide a generous measure in the bottom of a pint of Guinness.

+ 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Port – any recommendations/offers?’ is closed to new replies.