Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • CX bikes around £1K?
  • cinnamon_girl

My son, who’s 6’4″, is looking and requirements are disk brakes (preferably hydraulic), front thru-axle and capable of taking a 40mm tyre.

He’s seen this year’s Whyte Saxon Cross reduced and is checking availability but I think he will struggle around this price point with the above requirements.

Any ideas please?

Thanks. 🙂

dmck16
    Free Member

Planet X had a few good deals available, spotted recently when they emailed me. Might be worth a look?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks, shall mention that to him.

dmck16
    Free Member

I ended up getting a Focus Mares last year.

Thru-axles front and rear, threaded bottom bracket, hydraulic brakes, full carbon fork, loads of clearance for tyres (I use 40c WTB Nanos), and good geometry (on the slacker end of the scale).
    The main downside being its a fairly heavy aluminium frame, and they might be a little over the £1k budget.
    With a bit of haggling at my LBS, I got £100 quid off the asking price.

EDIT: one thing to double check regarding the whyte cx bikes is the sizing, they seem quite different to most other manufacturers.

EDITEDIT: also, it might be an idea to size down compared to usual when it comes to cx bikes. At 5ft9 I would usually get a medium mtb, but got an XS sized Mares which fits perfect.

ampthill

I think the new Pinnacle Arkose hits every point. I’m 6 four as well but older and therefore probably less bendy. I needed a stem flip to get anything like comfy

Link to new model

Boardman to a Hydro braked 1×11 for that money. But that bike had way too little stack for me

cinnamon_girl

dmck16 – thank you, that’s helpful as I didn’t realise about Whyte sizing. He does need to try a bike for size which is never easy with his height being at the top end. Will investigate Focus.

Ampthill – thanks for that link, the Arkose looks interesting. I know there’s a good number of tall chaps on here and their opinions are welcomed.

The Raleigh Mustang Elite has a good spec for the money, thru-axle front and rear.

This will be his first cx/gravel bike, normally a roadie but the versatility appeals.

Lots to investigate. 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Silver model (cable discs) Cotic Escapade is £999, can’t answer tyre size Qn but Cy is always very helpful

There was a lightly used Arkrose for sale here a few months ago for £500 which looked a steal, might be worth a search

vdubber67
    Free Member

Have Whyte sorted out their weird geometry on their CX bikes yet (is that old news?)

parkesie
    Free Member

£1249 ticks all the boxes. almost or the model down for £900 goes to 1×11 and qr axle.

vinnyeh

I’d be surprised if you could get 40mm tyres on a Saxon Cross…

GT Grade at Wiggle- a well reviewed frame- 975 with hydraulic bikes -SRAM drivetrain though. Won’t wear 40mm tyres either.

falkirk-mark
    cinnamon_girl

All good, thanks.

Sram – yes or no and why?

dmck16
    Free Member

SRAM Apex 2×10, with hydraulic brakes here – no issues or complaints.
    Friend of mine runs SRAM Rival 1×11 – again no issues or complaints.

sefton
    Free Member

My mates got ooe of them Merlin bikes.very nice…quite similar to a Ridley

chrispy

Sorry for a slight highjack but does any one know if the giant tcx slr cx bikes are any good? At £1700 it is more than I had budgeted for but looks like a nicely speced bike.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’ve got sram 1×11 hydro on my cx bike and it’s faultless. It really comes down to which lever action he preffers. The sram double tap can take a little getting used to and some just dont like it.

mboy
    Free Member

Saxon Cross is an excellent bike C_G, and can fit a 40mm front tyre no bother.

Pretty sure we’ve got a 58cm left in stock (which at 6ft4 should be bang on, it’s more like a 60cm in other makes) at work, would be happy to do him a bit of a deal on.

Email in profile or drop me a message on facebook… 🙂

drinfinity
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Raleigh RX Pro 1x from Wiggle which has all the features and is a bargain, but I see tonight the biggest they have left is 54cm, which was fine for me but too small for 6’4 I think.

frankconway

Try Hargroves or Winstanleys.
    Genesis croix de fer?
    Black Friday deals?

cp
    Jase
    Free Member

@chrispy I’ve had a Giant SLR for just over 2 years now and like it.

Mine was the £1000 model with 10 speed 105. Changed the wheels straight away as they are super heavy but you get that with most £1k bikes.

The M/L frame weighs 1340g so decent enough to upgrade if thats your thing.

Use mine for racing but also done a few longer adventures on it (London to Mk off road).

sefton
    Free Member

…its a lot like a ridley 😉

tommo999
    Free Member

I’ve got the Pinnacle Akrose Four from 2016, I’m 6ft and once the stem was flipped its pretty much perfect for me.

Hydraulic disk brakes, I’ve fitted WTB Nano 40c, but only a front QR.

HTH

cinnamon_girl

Huge thanks to all for their input. 😀 Lots for my son to check out although it’s not the best time of year to be buying a new bike.

To be fair it’s me who’s suggesting a front thru-axle as well as a decent width tyre, following my own experience with a Tripster.

Regarding Sram, my memory could be playing tricks but thought that someone had posted they were a pain for home mechanics.

sefton
    Free Member

very similar to Ridley’s. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘CX bikes around £1K?’ is closed to new replies.