Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 352 total)
  • Ponderous iDave diet question
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but also not information I’m going to post here.

Every man has his price 🙂

Thanks for the email iDave.

As Monsieur Grips says…

…iDave says

I follow…

funkynick

molgrips… I’ve just had a look to see what I can find out the milk insulin spike… and dug up something which seems to suggest there is a similar spike with high protein/low carb foods like meat and eggs. So I think it is a little more complex than just insulin levels…

iDave… I completely appreciate that, and it being a STW freebie I think you are doing an excellent job of at least making people think more about what they eat…

I guess it’s just the engineer in me trying to understand what the thought process behind it all is, and then be able to help out my other half with finding things she can eat on her diet.

So is it just insulin levels which were considered for this diet?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not liposuction, nothing illegal or dangerous, but also not information I’m going to post here.

I’m intrigued, we’ll see how this diet goes then I might call you again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So is it just insulin levels which were considered for this diet?

So many questions…

phil.w
    Free Member

molgrips – out of interest have you done a performance test at the begining of you weight loss that can be repeated at the end?

molgrips
    Free Member

Funkynick – I too would love to know how it really works but I suspect there’s a lifetime of science involved. The reason there’s little on the internet I think is that not many people really know that much – hence iDave’s quote.

I didn’t do the performance test – I should have, and I have done them in the past. My best 10 mile TT power output was 328W over 25 mins, my best time at Cwmcarn is 56 minutes and my best race result is 11/80ish in Open. I will let you know when I can beat those three 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

MG – obviously any performance gains you make will not be down to a change in diet alone…

molgrips
    Free Member

No, of course. To be honest training’s taken a back seat to making it to work and managing the new diet. I seem ok now though as I’m taking more carbs during exercise, so we’ll see. Hopefully a run tonight and some kettle bell exercises now the exercise studio* is fully configured+.

Oh almost forgot, best wattage for a 3 hour base ride was 221W or thereabouts, and for a 3 hour tempo ride 273W although I have no idea how I managed that, musta been on fire that day.

* living room
    + the coffee table’s been moved

funkynick

dd… how else are you supposed to know what should and shouldn’t be eaten if you don’t understand the basis behind it?

From an example I used above… wheat is not allowed, but what about buckwheat? It’s not a grain, but the seeds of the plant are milled for their flour, just like chickpeas can be milled into gram flour.

Just as a tip, you can make fantastic chickpea chapatti’s if you are having a curry. I’ve got the recipe somewhere if anyone is interested.

molgrips… I’m getting that impression too.

phil.w
    Free Member

I was interested to see at what point you experience a performance drop (within a longer term gain) or if you are able to avoid this.

This is based on my asumption, from your weight & performance stats that you have a fair amount of muscle bulk.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, I am reasonably muscular I think – less so up top but I have chunky solid legs. Definitely not whippet like at all. Mesomorphic.

I could do a 10 on the way home I suppose. Although perhaps not since I don’t have the powertap on currently.

I think I experienced a performance drop last week – I was trashed on the way home on Thursday and even more so on Friday. Felt like I’d ridden 200 miles that day. Did no exercise at the weekend to try and recover. Worked too, I rolled in at a very easy 31kph average 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

in a suit and tie with your satchel slung over your shoulder?

if so i think you should 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll fit the powertap tonight and come back with some numbers for you, sir.

iDave
    Free Member

has the powertap been calibrated?

trickydisco
    Free Member

This is turning into bikeradar

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, it gets zeroed regularly.

I didn’t know there was a calibration procedure.

hilldodger
    Free Member

and dug up something which seems to suggest there is a similar spike with high protein/low carb foods like meat and eggs. So I think it is a little more complex than just insulin levels…

Nutritional lab studies are notoriously difficult to control/compare.
    There is so much dependence upon the background nutrition levels of the subjects and how the parameters are measured.

Regarding the “insulin thing” – I’m particularly interetsed in food combinations as I feel that we should think in terms of the GI/Insulin potential of a whole meal rather than it’s individual components.

I also agree that iDave has had to make generalisations for the purpose of clarity/brevity and that individual cases will obviously differ and the fine lines bewteen allowed/banned foodstuffs is really for the individual to try and see if they make a difference.

Obviousely where health issues are invoivled ‘try it and see’ is not a good option !

Anyway, Q for molgrips – have you ever tried vitamin B/chromium supplements to kick in the fat burning ?? Would be interested to hear anyone’s experience of this approach……

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not tried those.

Only supplements I’ve taken are:

L-Carnitine – inconclusive but really seemed to slow me down at the top end – no idea if that was the amount of base I was doing at the time or not.

HMB – no idea if it worked or not, I didn’t end up a beefcake.

Ribose – on its own – unsure, but Torq recovery drink that contains it is rocket fuel. Or rocket re-fuel…

trickydisco
    Free Member

molgrips are you racing this season?

molgrips
    Free Member

No. I’m in Germany until end of July then we’ve got a kid on the way mid August so there won’t be much opportunity. Might do something like the Oktoberfest in Bristol or some of the late season Gorricks.

I’ll see if there’s a road race in Germany I can do 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

trickydisco – where/with who did you have your performance test done. I’m looking to do something similar and would also want to include a running one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Aw whut? 2 Whole pages to read through since this morning?

*puts kettle on*

iDave
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother jamie – same old same old bollox, including from me

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Having pasta and meatballs with parmesan cheese tonight. All washed down with cheap Chilean red.
    Pudding is two packs of Chewits in front of a box set of the Sopranos.

Anyone says that’s not allowed gets “whacked”.

hilldodger
    Free Member

same old same old bollox, including from me

mebbe, but damn fine bollies they are….

It’s an illuminating discussion with good points made by all – eat to live, live to ride 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

trickydisco – where/with who did you have your performance test done. I’m looking to do something similar and would also want to include a running one.

truezone in Bristol

http://www.truezone.co.uk/Home.html

Jamie
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother jamie – same old same old bollox, including from me

*turns off kettle*

iDave
    Free Member

I expect your kitchen is full of steam now Jamie. I hope the wallpaper is ok?

Jamie
    Free Member

Luckily I keep the kettle in the sauna.

iDave
    Free Member

*I knew that*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Same old shite. Same old pisstakers. Same old taggers.

All from The Big Book of Bollocks

molgrips
    Free Member

Feeling today’s 40 miles in the legs. Hope I haven’t gone off too hard this week.

Oh and Mrs Grips bought some scales.

88kg. So 2 or 3 down, or maybe even 4 – I was 91.5 ish before I left for Munich, no idea what happened between then and now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Same old shite. Same old pisstakers. Same old taggers.

Someone appears to have sand in their vagina.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

vagina.

You do remember what one of those is? 🙂

Read de tread x

Jamie
    Free Member

Read the thread?

Why on earth would I do that when I can just toss insults at you?

*puts kettle back on*

😀

CaptJon
    Free Member
    funkynick

Thanks CaptJon, very interesting… although it’s interesting that they note that while there is some tie up between GI and Insulin response, it’s not a perfect indicator.

This quote from the paper

A low-fat diet based on less-refined, carbohydrate-rich foods with relatively low ISs may help enhance satiety and aid weight loss as well as improve blood glucose and lipid control

seems to be agreeing with iDave.

petrieboy

can someone send me a copy of the plan please – email is my username @gmail.com

molgrips
    Free Member

Just realised, I’ve been over 91kg for the last 18 months, and most of that was 93-94kg, so this is good progress for me. I think a lot of that 94kg was muscle tho but a lot wasn’t.

Nice link CapnJon.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just realised, I’ve been over 91kg for the last 18 months, and most of that was 93-94kg.

So you have been over 93kg for the last 18 months then?

I think a lot of that 94kg was muscle tho

Hard to say really without a proper BF measurement, but remember skeletal muscle will never usually be more than 42% of your total mass.*

*for the average dude.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘Ponderous iDave diet question’ is closed to new replies.