Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Police Cars with Gaelic Markings in Scotland?
  • epicyclo

There’s nothing makes Scottish nationalists happier than watching monoglots frothing that they haven’t managed to kill off our culture and native languages. There’s an appropriate expression in Gaelic for them…

And as for those places where it was never spoken, a look through the censuses of the early 1800s may disabuse one of that notion – or a slight knowledge of the origins of various placenames.

CraigW
    Free Member

Gaslic markings in the lowlands is a piece of nonsense and we all know it. It never was the language, no one speaks it. they have to make up Gaelic names for places like falkirk. Its nonsense

You “all know it” because you believe what you have been told at school. Their has been a campaign of disparaging the Gaelic language for centuries.
    The first written name for Falkirk (Egglesbreth) has been around for a thousand years, who says the Gaelic name is made up?

squirrelking
    Free Member

The ****?

Gaelic is the preserve of the Highlands and Islands and beyond a few Braveheart fans nobody else speaks it. Grampian to Moray speak the Doric and apart from them the rest speak a modern bastardised and diluted Scots which is, if anything, the language most at risk but nobody gives a **** about because its mostly seen (wrongly) as slang or twee and only worth using in Govan based comedies or cringeworthy fauxk songs.

But Gaelic is a nice genteel language that sounds nice for the tourists despite the fact they have no words for computer, factory or medicine*.

So yeah, it is possible for a country to have more than one language but don’t pretend it’s anything more than a regional thing at best.

*I might have made that last one up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a good mate not 10 miles from you Squirrelking, who speaks Gaelic 😊

I do agree wholeheartedly with your post, heard an interesting take on it recently, a Doric lass who opined about the irony of being given awards on burns day for her recitals, but being given the belt if she spoke that same tongue any other day of the year.

Its not Gaelic or Ulster Scots that’s a pollution, it’s that bloody west end accent that can get tae **** ! 🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oaft, aye the West End **** accent.

Yeah there are exceptions everywhere but this charade that we all spoke it and that it would somehow enrich our lives is a bit much. Somewhat goes against the grain of this modern outward looking Scotland we keep hearing about.

cbike
    Free Member

Always question TJ’s authority! You learn loads!

Poll Mac De – Polmadie

Scotland’s Language Myths: 4. Gaelic has nothing to do with the Lowlands

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/dec/11/ian-jack-saddened-by-scotland-going-gaelic

Two Gaelic schools under increasing demand and expanding in Glasgow, Some folk obviously interested in maintaining some culture.
    The National Theatre of Scotland has a Gaelic Program and employs Gaelic artists.

I guess any language that borrows and makes words up is evolving to survive. Dismissal of any culture is just a bit ignorant.

CraigW
    Free Member

We should be promoting/encouraging/preserving both Scots and Gaelic (including all of their dialects and variations). Why make it one vs the other?

squirrelking
    Free Member

From that link it basically says Gaelic was being displaced by Scots from the 13th and 14th century. I mean yeah it obviously was well spoken but not for at least 700 years in some places! That’s my point.

Maybe we should just go back to grunting and painting things on cave walls if we really want to keep it real.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why do we need to preserve them?

Truthfully. How much of a cultural connection do you think most Scots have with Gaelic? Probably as much as most of Canada and Australia.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe we should just go back to grunting and painting things on cave walls if we really want to keep it real.

Sounds like Lanarkshire.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like Lanarkshire.

Yep.

You often see savages atop Loudoun Hill gazing jealousy eastwards  and coveting our fancy caves and our grunting and painting skills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First cast ol boy! 🤣🤣🤣

perchypanther
    Free Member

I didn’t have it in me to disappoint ye. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

🤣👌🏻

squirrelking
    Free Member

😀

legend
    Free Member

Two Gaelic schools under increasing demand and expanding in Glasgow, Some folk obviously interested in maintaining some culture.

Alternatively, they go because of the smaller class sizes than normal schools and Gaelic is just something they have to deal with

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

“There’s nothing makes Scottish nationalists happier than watching monoglots frothing that they haven’t managed to kill off our culture and native languages.”

It’s impressive how many false premises and non sequiturs you’ve managed to squeeze into one, chippy sentence.

dmorts

If it causes the Scots language to diminish then this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I’m English and now live in Scotland. I was previously unaware of Scots and its origins. It’s quite fascinating, ye ken? Take the word ‘ken’, which means ‘know’. The German verb for ‘to know’ is ‘kennen’. There are also links to Scandi languages with words and pronunciations, Polis being one of them! Other similar words are stoor, man (for husband), oot, burn (for a stream), bairn (for a child). These are my own observations from watching Scandi Noir, so might not be 100% accurate!

scotroutes

Gaslic markings in the lowlands is a piece of nonsense and we all know it. It never was the language, no one speaks it. they have to make up Gaelic names for places like falkirk. Its nonsense

Never been to Balerno TJ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balerno

tjagain

Scotroutes / Craig W – really? Many of these place names are made up and IIRC the “gaelic” word they use for “falkirk”is not “Egglesbreth”

Its of no great importance and I don’t really object to doing it but it remains a nonsense to invent gaelic names for places that never had them.

stevie750

Noting to do with culture. Free after school care and taxis to school are a big draw

Spin
    Free Member

I think the issue some people have with this is that it serves no practical purpose but is part of a political agenda.

By ‘practical purpose’ I mean making things understandable to people who would not otherwise have understood them.

I’m on the fence myself but I understand why people object to bilingual signage on that basis especially when it comes to spending public funds.

matt_outandabout

IIRC the “gaelic” word they use for “falkirk”is not “Egglesbreth”

Best not look what the Welsh use for Mold then…

Spin
    Free Member

Noting to do with culture. Free after school care and taxis to school are a big draw

Generally smaller class sizes too.

molgrips
    Free Member

*I might have made that last one up.

Not just that last one…!

this charade that we all spoke it and that it would somehow enrich our lives is a bit much

Is that’s what’s happening? I don’t spend a lot of time in Scotland but it would seem more likely that the Gaelic signs etc are there for the benefit of those who do speak it. The benefit being that they don’t need to feel excluded and marginalised in their own country. If you let a minority language exist only in part of the country then that linguistic group can become a sort of shadow community, the language only belongs in the families and pubs etc that already know it, and it can become exclusionary and a bit of a negative divisive thing. If on the other hand you spread it all over the country then it’s much more normalised and becomes part of life. Here in Wales it’s really not a problem unless you are recruiting and need a Welsh speaker for translations or service provision. But even then life goes on.

Of course Gaelic isn’t the only Scottish language, and that needs to be recognised. At first I was sceptical of the claim of Scots as a language but I’ve come around.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I quite like it, it’s another thing that identifies us. If we only ever spent money on what the masses want, the money would never make it out of the central belt.

I know a couple of families with kids in the Gaelic medium school in Kilmarnock, the draw for both was the benefits of learning another language at such a young age, and the well known educational advantage that brings, regardless of what use the language will be.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I used to think the north east was Pictland and there was no Gaelic up here, Doric was the historic mother tounge. Then on researching I found a lot of the place names were Gaelic like Culter.

So don’t believe the hype it was a very widespread language in Scotland so part of our cultural heritage.

scotroutes

Kilmarnock

Good example of Lowlands Gaelic

molgrips
    Free Member

I know a couple of families with kids in the Gaelic medium school in Kilmarnock, the draw for both was the benefits of learning another language at such a young age, and the well known educational advantage that brings, regardless of what use the language will be.

That’s why our kids are in Welsh school.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It gets a very good name, been in place for about 15 years now, in an area of extremely high poverty- if anyone was ever unfortunate enough to see ‘the scheme’ on the box, that’s where it is.

CraigW
    Free Member

IIRC the “gaelic” word they use for “falkirk”is not “Egglesbreth”

The standard Gaelic name is An Eaglais Bhreac. Egglesbreth is clearly just an inaccurate transliteration. Just as the standard English name has evolved from the Scots name (Faukirke).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not just that last one…!

So all those years ago I imagined the news reader mangling the words “IBM computer factory” into a story about the Greenock plant on Telefios then?

https://translate.google.com/?hl=en#en/gd/Computer%20factory

Changing the English to be phonetically compatible does not make a new word. You can either go down the French route and leave a language in stasis with contrived changes or else accept that language eveloves and eventually dies as it loses its greater identity.

The fact you openly say that you didn’t believe Scots was a unique language and that you have “come around” to accepting what is an absolute fact just shows your ignorance on the matter. Scots Gaelic should not be compared to Welsh.

So don’t believe the hype it was a very widespread language in Scotland so part of our cultural heritage.

As I said before, Gaelic was it its peak in the 12th century and then began to decline in favour of Scots thereafter. Culturally there’s more of a connection to Scots than Gaelic for most of the country and even then you can’t understand half of what’s being said. Easy job to revive Scots (since we can at least understand a decent proportion) yet they chase Gaelic?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Dinnae miss oot Dundee

molgrips
    Free Member

So all those years ago I imagined the news reader mangling the words “IBM computer factory” into a story about the Greenock plant on Telefios then?

So IBM is a name so it stays, computer is from latin and so is factory, so it’s hardly a problem that they are used in Gaelic when they are also borrowed into English in the first place. But that wasn’t my point – I was having a dig at this statement:

beyond a few Braveheart fans nobody else speaks it

..which seems to be untrue from what I’ve read.

The fact you openly say that you didn’t believe Scots was a unique language and that you have “come around” to accepting what is an absolute fact just shows your ignorance on the matter. Scots Gaelic should not be compared to Welsh.

Sorry, I don’t follow. Are you disagreeing that Scots is a distinct language, or are you saying that the social situation regarding Gaelic is not like Welsh? Or are you making both points?

irc

Road signs should be functional. There is no need to have dual language signs when to my best knowledge every Gaelic speaker in Scotland understands English. Even back in the 1960s when on holiday in rural Lewis the local kids spoke English as well as Gaelic. The only time Gaelic was essential was when giving orders to dogs. The only place I think they are maybe justified is the Gaelic heartlands where the signs should arguably be in Gaelic for the locals and with English for visitors. In the central belt? Just a gimmick. There’s probably more Polish speakers in Glasgow than Gaelic speakers.

It’s a bit of a regret personally that my mother who was a native speaker never taught my siblings and I the language. While my dad didn’t speak it I think with my mum at home while we were young we could have learned both English and Gaelic as children. None of my cousins speak Gaelic either despite in one case both parents being native speakers. I don’t think it was seen as important back in the 1960s.

Whether or not the Gaelic language prospers will not depend on road signs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you think that the opinion of non-Gaelic speakers on Gaelic is even important? This is a bit like men deciding what feminism should be, or white people telling black people about racism – isn’t it?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There is no need to have dual language signs when to my best knowledge every Gaelic speaker in Scotland understands English. Even back in the 1960s when on holiday in rural Lewis the local kids spoke English as well as Gaelic. The only time Gaelic was essential was when giving orders to dogs.

And so by your rationale you reduce a whole language to something not fit for human discourse. I agree with molgrips and the previous post

If you let a minority language exist only in part of the country then that linguistic group can become a sort of shadow community, the language only belongs in the families and pubs etc that already know it, and it can become exclusionary and a bit of a negative divisive thing.

Drac

There is no need to have dual language signs when to my best knowledge every Gaelic speaker in Scotland understands English. Even back in the 1960s when on holiday in rural Lewis the local kids spoke English as well as Gaelic. The only time Gaelic was essential was when giving orders to dogs.

And this is why some Scottish people have a dislike for the English.

irc

“Do you think that the opinion of non-Gaelic speakers on Gaelic is even important? This is a bit like men deciding what feminism should be, or white people telling black people about racism – isn’t it?”

Well I,d guess almost everyone o this thread is a non Gaelic speaker but wasn’t stopped from having their say.

gordimhor

Pinpointing which languages were spoken where and when is far from easy. There’s a lot of evidence that Gaelic was spoken in the south of Ayrshire and Galloway until the middle 18th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galwegian_Gaelic

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Police Cars with Gaelic Markings in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.