Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pocket chainsaw recommendations
  • b33k34

On Ebay these seem to range wildly in price. Theres a load that look very similar cheap. Chinese things from about £6-12. A couple with nice looking woven paracord handles for about £25 then a ‘Nordic Pocket Saw’ for £73(!)

How do I find a decent one or are they all about as good as each other?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fiskars SW75

dyna-ti

You tube, with one of the survival outdoory types. They’ll put it to the test and you can see how it performs. But they all seem to be a simple twisted wire and extremely cheap.

I know not relevant, but in case you’d not seen them, this type of folding saw is also about, although the price is really high, use to get them for about 20 quid.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-BRITISH-ARMY-R-E-FOLDING-SAW-IN-BROWN-LEATHER-CASE-1917-MATCHING-ORIGINAL/264854570485?hash=item3daa9005f5:g:hZ4AAOSwwnlfJAke

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I got a generic, presumably Chinese thing from Amazon for about a tenner. It’s fine, and surprisingly fierce. It’s only used once in a blue moon for trail clearing, so can’t vouch for its longevity.

z1ppy

TBH I own one but have never used it.. I always stick to my trust Silky fox gomtaro, not been defeated by anything yet.

martymac

I have a silky something or other, it would go in a cargo trouser pocket no bother, and cuts very well.

kayak23

He’s not looking for a folding saw though. A chainsaw type one.

I’m interested too actually as I currently carry a folding saw but I reckon this might be lighter and handle bigger baguettes logs.

UK-FLATLANDER

A quick google and the Nordic Pocket Saw can be had for less than £40

b33k34

A quick google and the Nordic Pocket Saw can be had for less than £40

(I’ll admit I hadn’t searched off eBay)

The longer version seems to be £60, and key thing is that doesn’t change the question. I’ve found reviews of the Nordic saw but none that compare more than one version – so are the more expensive saws better than the cheap ones.

I’ve bought a 48″ paracord handled one for £14.

I already carry a Bahco Laplander. At 200mm (ish) it’s a bit shorter than the SW75 but then it’s also about half the price. It’s makes light work of surprisingly large branches but you won’t get through the trunk of a fallen tree with it.

It looks like ‘genuine’ Nordic saw has more teeth per inch on it than the cheap ones but you need a reasonably long chain to deal with a trunk rather than branches

40mpg

Do they do a 10 speed version of that one up there? Drop the bike over a log and backpedal – job done 😆

dyna-ti

Dont give people here ideas such as that or we’ll have the remains of a 6000rpm Hope saw rotor to deal with.

b33k34

Do they do a 10 speed version of that one up there? Drop the bike over a log and backpedal – job done 😆

Add a hacked e-bike and you’re away….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pocket chainsaw recommendations’ is closed to new replies.