• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plumberists question – central heating
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m considering changing my CH system from a single zone to a dual zone , one for upstairs and one for downstairs. There is a big temp difference between the upstairs and downstairs so hard to get a nice balance. Also I’m considering installing an active CH system and I can only see it being of benefit if it can optimise the upstairs and downstairs zones independently. It’s a mid-90’s house with conventional gas unvented CH system with the boiler downstairs and the water cylinder and motorised valve in an upstairs airing cupboard. So as far as I’m aware its a pretty standard setup, nothing particularly odd about it or unusual.

I’m assuming that the CH circuit from the boiler will branch off after the motorised valve in the airing cupboard somewhere and there will be an upstairs rad loop and downstairs rad loop so it would be a case if finding where that branch is and installing a second motorised valve and hooking it all up with an additional upstairs thermostat?

There are TRV’s fitted to all the rooms rads, but the single thermostat down stairs might click the whole system off rendering the TRV’s in the cooler rooms useless as they can demand more hot water but if the system has switched off they’re not going to get any.

Not planning on doing the work myself, but would just like to understand what is needed so I can be confident any plumbers I talk to are not trying to rip me off.

Cheers.

kissmylapierre
    Free Member

Unlikely there will be as simple as that but can be if the pipes to the down rads run down the wall there they will be fed randomly from the main run if they run through the screed from a central manifold position would be a lot simpler
    You can get wifi trv now and seem to work well

Dirtytwister

FGF 695 - Enduro Beckoning

FGF 695 - Enduro Beckoning
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bear
    Free Member

As has been mentioned unlikely to be two separate loops and dirty probably has the simplest solution, although there are other manufacturers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got the same issue and have achieved a good heat balance between floors with Evohome (others now on the market Tado, Drayton(?) etc). Probably worth doing the sums and research to see which is best option between price and/or features and desires ie plumber/materials cost/limitions (ie no wifi/phone /laptop/tab control etc) v’s Evohome/Tado type solution. I didn’t feel it necessary to Evohome every radiator, just the key rooms or key radiators, lesser rooms are fine with TRV set to a temp or some areas ie small landing rad has no TRV and just comes on to max whenever boiler is on as their heat just spreads around the upper floors.

peterno51

Just to add to what banana said, it you went with the evohome motorised trv you wouldn’t need to add motorised valves in the traditional sense..
    The single top and bottom floor circuit would stay the same and as each room needed heat the trv in that room would call for heat and in effect heat the circuit but only the rads in the room/s concerned would heat up.

This is easily diy-able so although the bits might be more than normal it would mean not having to chop the pipe work at all reducing that cost.

cheers_drive

We’ve just fitted a Tado thermostat and will be fitting some Tado radiator valves in the future. Reason for fitting them is adjusting the room temperatures according to use: I often work from home and don’t want to heat the whole house, and why heat upstairs during the day at the weekend.
    However, if you just want to balance upstairs and downstairs better and already have TRVs I’m not sure how smart valves will help?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Probably worth checking your TRV compatibility before taking the plunge here, phone evohomeshop if you’re not sure. I notice they are offering a free HR92uk with a purchase of the controller pack at the momemt, that offer won’t last very long https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/

by the looks of your post you’ll also probs need to factor in a hot water kit

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks all. Spent some of yesterday afternoon trying to suss out my system. It seems that a lot of it is under floors and within walls so I think anything that involves messing about with pipes will be tricky, so probably better off looking at a smarter alternative. Will check out your recommendations.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BTW there’s lots of Tado/Evohome threads on this forum so worth a search and read (use google rather than the forum search). Up until 12 months ago Evohome (also maybe Heat Genius) was pretty much the only option, but Tado and Drayton and maybe one or two others have now come in with their smart TRV’s.

There are TRV’s fitted to all the rooms rads,

I was under the impression that one rad had to be permanently open (ie no TRV) so that radwater would always be able to circulate. You might want to check that, maybe doesn’t apply on some systems, I’m not a Heating Engineer.

Bear
    Free Member

The cheapest and simplest solution is probably to move the stat to the top floor.

simply way is to put the receiver where the existing stat is then the wireless stat van be moved to a suitable location, assuming you have enough wires. Remember to remove the TRV in the room with the stat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plumberists question – central heating’ is closed to new replies.