Home Forums Chat Forum Plot Holes

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Plot Holes
    z1ppy

tomhoward: Raiders of the Lost Arc would have ended exactly the same way without the presence of Indiana Jones.

S’not true, if Indie hadn’t arrived and saved Marion (she’d have died otherwise) and the medallion, the Nazi would have known not to look at the ark when opening it (it’s on the back of the medallion) & been able to use it against the allies, but because of Indie the Allies got it and stored it safety away

thestabiliser: Also where did Indy hide on the submarine? Or did he just hold his breath while it crossed the Adriatic

Your mistaking  1930’s submarine for a modern one, those submarine only travelled under water for short periods (24-48hrs), but mainly travelled on the surface I believe (set in 1936 so they weren’t at war yet).

johndoh
    Free Member

It was 1 million years BC. Released in the US in 1967

Andy Dufrane escaped in 1966…..

My mistake (although, that film in itself has a massive plot hole – the last dinosaurs died some 65 million years ago and the earliest man was around 3 million years ago so their paths would never have crossed).

And I did not know that about the year Andy escapes (wanders off to Google to verify before I spout it out to everyone that cares to listen)…

Edit – the film came out on 30 December 1966 and he *could* have got a pre-release poster sent to him at a very tenuous push.

Edit edit… On the morning of March 12, 1975, after 28 years in prison, Andy disappears from his locked cell.

Edit edit edit… In 1965, Andy escaped from Shawshank Prison. He had spent 23 years tunneling through the wall of his cell with his Rock Hammer

Does the internet even know?

joshvegas
    Free Member

in snow piercer why does the train have to move? If the energy source is perpetual.

Also if for sone reason that can be justified. Why does the train have to circumnavigate the earth, sure it could just do a perpetual loop around somewhere nice and flat like the netherlands.

Also… How is everything covered in ice yet the tracks are always free of buildup/on top of the snow.

Also how was all this built and yet there was no planning for the event in any other way.

funkmasterp

Kenobi is a bit like Smith.

I never thought of this. Intergalactic phone book just full of them! 🤣

Cougar

Some major assumptions there – why can’t we have R2-11 or R2-A11 etc?

True. But we never come across them. The Rx line went up to at least R9 that I’m aware of and whilst I’m stretching the corners of my nerdery here and could be totally wrong I’ve never seen a unit designation in double digits.

Of course, the non-diegetic reason is simple, they’re easy numbers for the viewers to grok. R2-2X4B-523P would be such a dorky name. But as I said, it twanged at my young mind.

AFAIK this is entirely something invented by fans (and possibly non-film material, books, games etc). R2D2 is his designation but there’s no such thing as an R2 model

Fandom aside, IIRC it’s referenced in the original film. Either Luke or Owen (somehow, farm boy?) identifies R2-D2 as an “R2 unit.” I’d have to rewatch it to be certain though, this may be Mandela Effect.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“This R2 unit has a bad motivator. “

”What are you trying to push on us?”

Cougar

So this is supposedly a transcripy of George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Larry Kasdan plotting out the film

Supposedly.

There may be a truth in it, I have no idea, but it’s not how the film panned out. We start with Indy being a teacher, the young women in his class are crushing on him and he is very clearly deeply uncomfortable about this.  We could suppose that this is because of past indiscretions with Marion but that’s something of a logic leap.  If Wikipedia is to be believed then this notion comes from the novelisation of the film.

he lifted the bottom to get into the hole

Be honest, we’ve all been there.

so blatantly an evangelically Christian white saviour creation tale

Wuh?

funkmasterp

This R2 unit has a bad motivator

I think I must be an R2 unit!

funkmasterp

a film that’s as so blatantly an evangelically Christian white saviour creation tale

What? From Stephen King, who is on record as not having much time for organised religion. Unless C S Lewis actually wrote Shawshank, I think you’re wide of the mark.

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/29/stephen-king-religion-dangerous-god-exists

nickc

It’s literally called “Redemption”

noun
    the action of saving or being saved from sin

Andy is an innocent, the Warden is ultimately forced to answer for his crimes, Andy perform miracles (beer, the library and music) has disciples, some of whom are Romans (the prison guards), is reborn through the tunnels he uses to escape and stands in the rain in the shape of Jesus on the cross, he even leaves Red directions which on how to find him that work like scripture, and Red finds Andy dressed in white in a fantasy paradise.

There’s a reason its always in the top ten lists of “Every film Christians should watch” I mean, take what you want from it, but the subtext is there.

funkmasterp

The only religious person in the book and film is the villain. King has a history of portraying Christians in a bad light. I personally thinks it is stretching it to claim a Jesus analogy. It’s about survival and long term planning. Red is an Irish man in the book, so no white saviour thing going on. A ginger Irish man is about the whitest you can get!

You’re not getting me to Google Top Ten Christian films either 😂

nickc

We’re not talking about the short story though, we’re talking about the film. They’re different things.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@zippy, the captain shouts “tauchen, tauchen das U-boat” as they’re setting off and then navigates toward the u-boat pen using the periscope 🤷‍♂️<!–more–>

johndoh
    Free Member

We’re not talking about the short story though, we’re talking about the film. They’re different things.

but the point stands that, whatever you think, it is not a *blatant* Christian film and most of the stuff you read online is just conjecture.

And, TBF, does it matter even if that was the intention of the film/director – it’s still a great film.

Drac

That’s some tedious link to Christianity.

nickc

Her’e the Wikipedia analysis of the film

The Gospel Coalition – they think it pretty much “stands up” after 25 years

Screen Rant’s explanation

Medium think’s Andy is “A man without Sin”

I could go on, there’s page after page of these. I’m genuinely surprised that folks are surprised by the fact that this film has been widely interpreted to be Christian allegory. I thought it was common knowledge. Whether you think the film is great or not, the Christ imaginary is coincidental or conjecture (It’s filled with biblical quotes for instance), it is interpreted that way by critics and Christians and Darabont said himself that he feels people should find their own meaning in it.

pondo

It’s filled with biblical quotes from the bad guys. Andy isn’t Jesus, he’s a soft banker who did hard time for a crime he didn’t commit, coerced into financial misconduct by a Christan zealot.

z1ppy

thestabiliser

@zippy
    , the captain shouts “tauchen, tauchen das U-boat” as they’re setting off and then navigates toward the u-boat pen using the periscope 🤷‍♂️<!–more–>

@thestabiliser
    Indeedy, but according to the film script they only dive to periscope level, which Indie ties himself to with his whip. TBH it falls down as that era sub don’t stay below the surface, so the crew would have found Indie (or his cold dead body)

johndoh
    Free Member

Darabont said himself that he feels people should find their own meaning in it.

Exactly – and Christians are finding a Christian meaning in it. Either way, as I have said already, it isn’t ‘blatant’ but it’s still a great film. Just like Christmas can be fun even if you don’t believe in god.

mert
    Free Member

see also The Fast and the Furious and the number of gear changes required to drive a car in a straight line.

Saw a reddit post about a scene from one the the FnF movies, they’d worked out that the runway(?) was about 18 miles long and they had a gear box with 20+ ratios.

All the high-end gear the PMC’s have in Tomb Raider but no plasti-cuffs? Nah, lets just carry around bulky hemp rope instead. 😂

TombRaider_plane4

nickc

it isn’t ‘blatant’ but it’s still a great film

I’ve seen it once, and I thought it was pretty obvious, I ‘ve got to say. In the same way that Aliens can be interpreted as a Vietnam war film, some reviewers have said that Lee Unrich put a Holocaust storyline in Toy Story 3, critics have suggested that High Noon is a reaction to McCarthyism, Paul Verhoeven is particularly open about this, Robo-cop is another Jesus allegory, Starship Troopers is an anti Fascist film, and Showgirls is about the dangers of ice cubes…

Anyway…How do the Gremlins know what time zone they’re in?

willard

You can have combat consultants as technical advisors on set, you can even have actors who trained with FBI hostage rescue teams to make them realistic… but with 20 takes and 5 camera angles, that doesn’t get reflected in the editing room floor where they go for what looks cooler.

Unless you are talking about _that_ scene in Heat, which contains all the good action you could ever want, AND mag changes.

In most films though, the lack of proper drills and tactics annoys me, especially when you are told the character is “former special forces Marine Scout sniper cook weapons demo expert lawyer” or some other BS, but still holds their chrome Glock sideways.

argee

Said it before, landmines that appear to not function when you actually step on them, they only appear to work when you remove your foot from them, there are entire movies about this.

Unless you are talking about _that_ scene in Heat, which contains all the good action you could ever want, AND mag changes.

See also 12 Strong, Land of Bad, The Covenant, 13 Hours, Triple Frontier. Even the bloody John Wick movies observe some fundamental weapon drills.

Said it before, landmines that appear to not function when you actually step on them, they only appear to work when you remove your foot from them, there are entire movies about this.

See also vehicles that immediately explode as a result of small arms fire.

nickc

Even the bloody John Wick movies observe some fundamental weapon drills.

They’ve actually made bullet proof suit jackets? Cool. 🤣

maccruiskeen

some reviewers have said that Lee Unrich put a Holocaust storyline in Toy Story 3,

Certainly a lot darker if you cut to the closing credits a little too soon

They’ve actually made bullet proof suit jackets? Cool. 🤣

Read my post again. Slowly. 😉

argee

See also vehicles that immediately explode as a result of small arms fire.

To be fair to all of this, if they stuck to the actual physical characteristics of OME it would make for some boring film scenes, same with aircraft, loved Top Gun Maverick, but it was horrific for accuracy, ejection at mach 10 and he just needs some water, the whole reasoning for F18s, TLAMs going over the aircraft, etc, etc, but it was a fun watch 😁

zilog6128

a lot of these aren’t so much plot-holes, just “unrealistic physics”… and that Tomb Raider pic above ^^^ reminded me of a classic example!

How common is it for the hero/damsel in distress etc to have to dead-hang off of something for a significant amount of time before awaiting rescue? It’s a hell of a lot harder than Hollywood would have you believe! Especially one-handed (try it!) Especially one-handed, holding onto someone or something with the other hand – realistically impossible for someone who is not extremely strong!!

richmtb

The Martian, while otherwise a great film with lots of good science, the reason for them abandoning Watney (Matt Damon) in the first place doesn’t stack up.

The atmosphere of Mars is really thin, pressure is less than 1% of Earth’s so the Martian wind would need to be supersonic to have any chance of blowing the MAV over.

ernielynch

Robo-cop is another Jesus allegory

You have missed out Life of Brian! (And obviously Narnia)

And to get back to your original point that you have no real understanding why “otherwise normal seeming folk” might enjoy a Jesus allegory film, maybe consider the fact that the central message(s) behind the Jesus story is actually quite good morally and therefore appeals to normal folk.

I remember once seeing an interview which Michael Palin, and someone else in the Monty Python team,  gave in which Palin explained that before the start of writing the script a team of writers went through the bible looking for material to poke fun at.

They soon realised that Jesus was actually a good guy whose message/teachings were fundamentally sound and didn’t really provide them with any useful material, which I believe was the reason that they decided to make the film about someone who wasn’t the Messiah.

cheers_drive

I keep clicking on this thread to give the advice of ‘roughly the size of the screw shank’

ossify

I keep clicking on this thread to give the advice of ‘roughly the size of the screw shank’

I read that as ‘roughly the size of the shaw shank’ and got very confused.

nickc

make the film about someone who wasn’t the Messiah.

S’not really a plot hole though, I think you may have missed the point of the thread there.

ernielynch

Not it wasn’t a plot hole. It was a response to your comment concerning otherwise normal seeming folk enjoying a Jesus allegory film, I get the point of the thread.

johndoh
    Free Member

Robo-cop is another Jesus allegory

And similar has been said about The Matrix.

multi21
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned Signs thus far, I mean why travel to a planet mostly covered by something which would destroy you, has it vapourised in the air and rains randomly from the sky, and then strut around bollocko?

However the religion comments above reminded me that I read a fan theory (apparently endorsed by the director) that they’re not aliens but in fact demons in the biblical sense. And it’s not just water but “holy” water that hurts them…I mean it sounds like a load of face saving arse but there we go.

thols2

Surprised nobody has mentioned Signs thus far,

The first half was great. The second half was rubbish. I always assumed that Mel Gibson only agreed to do it if it hammered away on the religious themes.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.