Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plenty of life left
  • argee

I’m seeing this phrase a lot on bike stuff i see on facebook, ebay, etc, is this the new term being associated with worn out parts, as by the looks of this, my scrap bin of bike parts could be worth hundreds now!

Is anyone actually buying this stuff, i mean yesterday i saw a couple of worn out maxxis with mouldy sealant being listed for 40 quid, not to mention the usual cassettes with lots of wear patterns, is it just a case of people not knowing how cassettes wear, or chancing their arm?

I’ll leave off the ‘hens teeth’ stuff with folk selling new drivetrain bits for made up prices, that’s for another day ;o)

argee

Bump trick

ahsat

Sold a load of stuff off my stripped down Soul, that was 7-14 years old for £750 the other month! Including a set of 14 year old Hope brakes for £200. It definitely seems to be a thing! Didn’t bother selling the cassette though…

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a better term than good condition as that means vastly different things to different people. I’d only use it on parts I’d be happy to put on my bike. I always include a close up picture of teeth on gears so people can make their own mind up. My phone takes pretty decent macros. The price of used tyres is a bit crazy, though.

I’ve had a bit of a clear out over lockdown. I’ve got a pretty extensive spares collection, all parts I’d happily use myself, but I’ve realised I probably never will. It’s better to have the cash then buy the parts I actually do need. Built up a nice Orange hard tail with a mix of spares and parts bought with eBay money

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll put my hand up to using it, though only where I genuinely feel it’s applicable.

e.g. Tyres that I’ve used a bit and lost interest in, cassettes that I’ve chopped out for something with more range or clothes that are just surplus to requirements now.

I’ve honestly listed stuff that’s on it’s last legs a few times just to see, and sometimes it sells anyway – like the Ultegra big ring which I put up for £10 and warned that it was skipping under power.

Northwind

It’s what I say when I take out brake pads that are down to the metal and show them to my mates…

DezB
    Free Member

Competition to see who can find the shonkiest “plenty of life left” item for sale? (can’t be your own item!) 😀

DezB
    Free Member

blimey, first thing I turned up was a brand new bike, still in its box for sale. Wonder who lost that in the post..! Nukeproof
    Oh I take that back – it’s cheaper on CRC 😀

apedoctor
    Free Member

I think the lack of availability of new parts probably isn’t helping. I always wondered if people buy them, the fact they’re still for sale makes me doubt they are….

IHN

Is anyone actually buying this stuff

Probably, there’s nowt queerer than folk. And there’s no folks queerer than the folks on eBay – I bought a Samsung S7 a few months ago on eBay, absolutely vacuum-sealed brand-spankingly new, for £135. Turned out it wasn’t what I needed, so stuck it back on to sell, thinking I’d just cut my losses.

Ended up going for £165, second hand (although basically unused), when they could have bought one new from the same fella I did, for thirty quid less…

kayak23

Folks’ll assume that if it’s on eBay, then whatever it sells for is going to be cheaper than new.

nickjb
    Free Member

Lots of it does actually have plenty of life left in it. All of my bikes are mostly built from second hand parts

argee

Yeah, some do, but the bits i’m going on about are pretty much ratty, cassettes with well worn channels between the teeth, which will only ever slip and wear down any chain you put it with, was more pointing out folk taking their old stuff off and not really understanding what is worn and what is part worn, which seems to be a huge thing for cassettes especially!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plenty of life left’ is closed to new replies.