Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Planning next summer- German road trip stops
  • alwillis

So next July We are driving down to Klagenfurt in southern Austria for the Ironman there. On the way there we probably want one quick overnight stop somewhere in Germany (as that will be over half way in a straight line from Calais). Needs to be cheap, comfy, and have secure parking (two TT bikes in the car).

On the way back we will have a week, so looking to stop either along the northern edge of the alps, or possibly the Black Forest area to relax in a nice chalet or possibly hotel. Needs to have gentle walking, swimming and nice views and cafes (post ironman eating will commence!)

So hit me with your suggestions…

colp

On the way back a week in the Zell Am See area, everything on your list plus MTB options.

On the drive down I usually stay in Luxembourg before cutting through the top of the Black Forest on the B10 (knocks about 30 miles off the journey and 20 mins).

Selled
    Free Member

Earlier this year I stopped off in the Rhein Valley somewhere north of Bingen. Was a very nice area, not mountains but very hilly. It was a small detour from the normal route but we’ll worth it.

I also took the Stuttgart route on the way to the UK and then on the A4 from Karlsruhe in the direction of Luxembourg. I made a menta? note to visit the area after Karlsruhe sometime as it also looked great. This route has the added advantage of 95 cents diesel and cheap Leffe in Luxembourg.

davosaurusrex

For somewhere a bit bigger on the way back Freiburg is nice

jambalaya
    Free Member
    alanl
    Free Member

We stayed here last year:
    Hotel near Wurzberg

Small town Germany. Hotel was quite old looking, especially the fittings inside,but they are going for the ‘Bavaria’ style I think.It was pretty good, real small town, so no crime problem in the area.
    On the way back we stopped in central Frankfurt, close to the rail station. Don’t stay in that area, it was grim.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Planning next summer- German road trip stops’ is closed to new replies.