Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Planetx Carnac helmets any good?
  • DT78
    Free Member

seem very cheap, looking for a new commuter helmet and kids helmet

robz400
    Free Member

I’ve got 2, road and mtb and both are great.  I won’t be buying a pricey one again

Bregante

I have a Croix, also for commuting. iIRC it was under £15 when I bought it. It’s absolutely fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs s has the super surf lid for TT and the aero road for general duties. Both perfectly well made  Good vfm. Next time I need to new helmet I’ll be getting one of the oo PX ones.

richardk
    Free Member

The Kronus TT helmet from Planet X is fantastic – great fit and incredible value compared to a Kask Bambino or similar.  Only downside was the shonky packing when i ordered it with 3 extra visors (all crammed in a Pampers box, luckly no damage)

Ewan
    Free Member

I have one, it is very comfy. I keep meaning to replace it with a ‘better’ one tho, as i’m worried they’re not as safe.

I don’t know why I think this as I assume they’ve passed the relevant CE standards.

DT78
    Free Member

Does it have a CE sticker?  They seem too cheap compared to others which makes me wonder about quality

Ewan
    Free Member

Having just looked into it now I’ve remembered i’m worried about it….

The carnac notus i have has a CE sticker and says it meets EN1078. Cycling UK, suggest this is the standard ‘standard’ but that Snell 90 is substantially stronger.

Looking in my (mtb) giro helmets they also say they meet EN1078 – their website doesn’t say what standards their road helmets meet, but i’d assume the same.

Looking on the snell website, it seems a little out of date, so i can’t tell if anyone does Snell approved helmets anymore.

Details of EN1078: https://www.satra.com/spotlight/article.php?id=291

A super fun read: https://helmets.org/stdcomp.htm

cp

Does it have a CE sticker?  They seem too cheap compared to others which makes me wonder about quality

I’m afraid it’s mostly other brands charging what the market will take rather than a realistic cost-based price.

Poopscoop

Never even knew that Planet X sold helmets!

The “Enduro” and XC lids actually look really good and the price is obscenely cheap. 😳

Might get one as a spare at the prices they are…..

timba
    Free Member

I’ve got a Notar SLA. Superlight as advertised and cheap

IMHO the white one looked a bit odd at first because it’s almost completely white; shell, foam, strap, the lot.

It’s comfortable and it’s CE1078 marked. There are pros and cons to both the Snell and CE standards, neither is universally “better”

stevextc
    Free Member

At the price they are worth keeping in the car boot for those days I’ve arrived without a helmet or the wrong helmet. Last time I packed the kids FF instead of mine … ended up riding some jumps without any helmet so one of the cheap enduro one should would have been better than nothing.

brant
    Free Member

I had good fun sourcing those mountainbike helmets on one of my last trips to China for Planet X.

We had found the factory at a show and went to visit to see what their manufacturing processes were like.

The showroom with all the different models in was rammed, and the couple we chose we were told were good. “Bell also choose this model” said the salesperson.

carlosg
    Free Member

I had a Carnac helmet years ago , when I landed on my head after an rtc it had a crack most of the way down the centre apart from about 1″ either end but my head didn’t. I’d have another one.

scruff
    Free Member

Just to add balance, I had some px carnac shoes and they were truly awful comfort wise, they went in the bin.

fossy

Most XC/enduro/road helmets are there to stop a nasty injury and they are all up to it. Nothing is fool proof though.  The PX ones are pretty decent from all accounts.  I use Bell Sweep/Volt helmets with a peak from my road days as there is an extra internal ‘cage’ to keep in in one piece if it cracks (I’ve cracked two).

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.  Will take a punt.

k1100t
    Free Member

I got one, then sent it back, as it didn’t fit my head. I don’t think I’ve got a funny shaped head…

dirkpitt74

I’ve got the ‘enduro’ helmet – pretty decent. I did add an extra pad at the rear though. Keep it as a spare but mainly use it as a winter/night ride helmet .

When I got mine I looked at the ‘xc’ and thought it looked suspiciously like a Fox Flux.

mcnultycop

I’ve got the Notus for road and it’s probably the best road helmet I’ve ever had.

lunge

I like them, I’ve got 3 I think, they fit my head, look pretty good and generally do what I need. If i’m being critical, the straps can be a little difficult to get flat against your head but once they are it works fine. The Notus is very nice and not to warm for a aero helmet, and the Podium is probably the best fitting helmet I own.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Had one for ages, fits nice and does all the helmety things you expect.

Not had a slam on it yet mind

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Got 3 of their lids. Roadie, enduro and MTB. Very happy user.

Providing their shell fits your head I wouldn’t hesitate.

Cheers!

I.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I’d agree,

I have the Enduro, XC, and the Carnac Notus, I am particularly impressed with the look and feel of the Notus.

At £15 – you can’t go wrong really! Never understand the logic of paying lots for a product that you only have to replace once its been used 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve got the Carnac Podium SL for road use and really rate it, nice and light with lots of vents. Feels a similar quality to my old mid-range spesch helmet

avdave2

On the subject of cheap helmets I picked up one of the Lidl £16 ones recently and have been really impressed with it. Far more comfortable tand better fitting han the Met I was using. I should say I’ve had Met  ones in the past that fitted very well but either my heads’ changed shape or they vary the fit of their helmets.

neila

I have been pretty pleased with my Aero Road for £20, comfy and a bit warmer and drier for winter riding.

prawny

I got a Notus free with some tyres before christmas. It’s been in the box until the weather got warmer because my light wont fit it. It surprisingly good. Really comfy, and there’s noticeably more airflow than the Giro Foray it’s replaced.

I’m going to keep the Foray for the winter to put my light on though.

johnny63

Got a Notus in the last sale – £30 – very happy with it – fits well and pretty light

schmiken

Off the back of this I’ve just ordered a Notus to try. Let’s see how it fits when it arrives!

coomber
    Free Member

I  got the XC one and think it looks pretty cool. It’s a great fit – nice and snug on my big head. My favourite lid ever (from a sample of only 4!). £15 well spent

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HEOOXC/on-one-xc-mtb-helmet

steezysix
    Free Member

How is the fit on the Notus? Got a long narrow head, so anything too round shaped leaves a gap on the sides. Currently got an Specialized Echelon that fits well but needs replacing. Bell also fit me well, Giro and POC not so much and the Notus looks pretty good for the money. Cheers!

StirlingCrispin

I have a <span class=”il”>Carnac</span> Enduro MTB large helmet in the shed.

It’s a bit big for me and I’ve never worn it. If anyone in Stirling wants it for a beer it’s yours.

(It cost me £5 because it qualified me for free postage on an order).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Another good report here, got a Notus and one of the normal road ones (can’t remember the name).  Maybe marginally sweatier than pricier models but can’t grumble at the price.

I have a large head and sometimes struggle with helmets that aren’t long enough front to back (some shells just seem too round and squash my forehead).  These are fine for me.

Poopscoop

I have an Alien shaped head too…..long, front to back. 😃

Just ordered the white and orange On One XC lid for £14.99 plus post.

Wanted the Carnac white and black version…. But that was £30. Hopefully the On One stickers come off? Yes, I’m a tart. 😉

It looks like it a copy of a Troy Lee helmet but with different retention straps.

Obviously made in the same factory…. 😃

Ewan
    Free Member

How is the fit on the Notus? Got a long narrow head, so anything too round shaped leaves a gap on the sides. Currently got an Specialized Echelon that fits well but needs replacing. Bell also fit me well, Giro and POC not so much and the Notus looks pretty good for the money. Cheers!

I have a giro head and the Notus fits me well. Spesh and Bell fit less well on my head. At 20 quid, may be worth a punt.

Poopscoop

Ordered a green Quartz XC and the Orange/ white ONE ONE XC as I picture above.

Both very impressive to be honest. Particularly the ON ONE lid.

However the ON ONE is going back as the design and colour is a little too gnar for me.Lol

Can’t fault either of them though to be honest. 👍

schmiken

Notus fit me well, it is a little mushroom-y when on, but is comfy enough!

ak121078
    Free Member

So what’s the difference between the carnac xc and the on one xc lids? They both look the same to me.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

So what’s the difference between the carnac xc and the on one xc lids? They both look the same to me.

Colour 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Planetx Carnac helmets any good?’ is closed to new replies.