Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Planetx Carnac helmets any good?
  • madedgar
    Free Member

Interesting thread this, I’ve been dithering over a new helmet for 6 month, waiting for a sale, or just trying to find the right one. Can’t believe they knock these out for 15 quid. Are we all being THAT ripped off by the big brands?!?

highlandman
    Free Member

MadEdgar: Yes.  We are all being ripped off by the marketing of major brands.  If PX/On-one can make a profit at this level, as do Lidl & Aldi with their equivalents, then everyone else is also buying them from a Chinese factory at the same level and are simply charging what their network and our bad habits allow for.

These helmets are absolutely grand; I’ve an xc for summer trail and commute use and an enduro for winter commuting.  The latter is a bit chunkier and has less venting, it covers more of your head and is less drafty in cold weather. I don’t get on with Spesh helmet shapes but have in the past got on well with some Giro, Bell & MET.

philjunior
    Free Member

What’s the fit like? I’m just about squeeze into a Giro L or middle of the adjustment on a Giro XL…

bensongd
    Free Member

Also tempted by a black enduro. Anybody any advice on interior shape and size?

dirkpitt74

I ended up putting an extra pad on the cradle at the back of the enduro – turned it from uncomfortable to rather nice fit.

If you have a spare pad kicking around it’s worth doing.

Can’t find photo at the moment, but will take one an post it up when I get home to show what I mean.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I bought one of the aero helmet for 20 quid.. Other than it makes me look like mushroom from super Mario cart I really like it. Together with a set of aero rims my average speed increased by about 1mph overnight . But even if it offers no aero advantage it was still a third the price of my bog standard giro helmet.  Which does beg the question why you would pay more..

dirkpitt74

Here you go, before:

After:

2 Velcro spots and a spare pad made a huge difference .

Poopscoop

<div>ak121078
    <div>
    <div>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div>

So what’s the difference between the carnac xc and the on one xc lids? They both look the same to me.

</div>

I’ve got both. The On One has an outer shell that covers the underside of the foam to prevent damage. It’s a bit more substantial in general and covers the back of the head more. It’s more of a “trail” lid.

The Quartz is nice and light <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>perfect xc lid.</span>

Both silly cheap for how good they are. 👍

Poopscoop

^^

Sorry, didn’t answer the right question after reading your post again.

Simply put…. You are paying more for the other colour schemes and non On One branding…

They are physically identical as you say. 😃

bensongd
    Free Member

Cheers for the pics Dirk. May take a punt for £15

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Planetx Carnac helmets any good?’ is closed to new replies.