Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 493 total)
  • Plane crash in the alps
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Apologies if it’s been posted already, but here’s a more detailed video on the door unlock/lock procedure on the airbus:

Link

jambalaya
    Free Member

she gets up every morning to go to work and wears a pilot’s uniform

whoarrr 😀

Sorry couldn’t resist it. Feels a bit inappropriate making jokes given the current press conference, prosecuter saying co-pilot crashed plane deliberately having locked pilot out of the cockpit. Co-pilot alive till point on impact.

Again perhaps inappropriately this could have a big impact on the insurers with major claims against the airline

EDIT from the Guardian, co-pilot named, he was 28

Co-pilot is named as Andreas Lubitz by prosecutor.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I know suicide is a cry for help

Bollocks… it’s a cowards way out and to do it in such a manner is absolutely despicable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Suicide doesn’t involve murdering 150 other people

hora
    Free Member

Confirmed Andreas Lubitz deliberately crashed the plane (BBC news live press conference).

andyl
    Free Member

They didn’t, this has been ‘leaked’. Many of the reports on the BBC start by acknowledging the seriousness of that leak:

BBC Page I was reading didn’t mention it was a leak, just this:

One of the two pilots of the Germanwings plane that crashed in the French Alps was locked out of the cockpit, according to reports.
    Early findings from the cockpit voice recorder suggest the pilot made desperate efforts to get back in, sources close to the investigation say.

It seems the ‘suicide pilot’ has now been named on BBC twitter. Also claim the French are saying that passengers didn’t know what was going on until the last minute.

I have to admit I have concerns over a French investigation of a crash involving an Airbus. I am sure the investigation will be thorough and they will throw everything into it but some of the decisions on action/blame/recommendations afterwards can sometimes be best described as “odd” and when they get their justice system involved it just adds delays and complications.

If the Malaysian flight is eventually found to be deliberate action by a pilot and then this we may start to see some changes in the control of aircraft as well as cars.

Suicide has to be one of the worst scenarios for the families to come tot terms with.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Desperately sad, but thankfully extremely rare. I can’t see the need to change things; maybe a cc member on the flight deck when a pilot leaves it for any reason?

Just bloody awful.

andyl
    Free Member

Desperately sad, but thankfully extremely rare. I can’t see the need to change things; maybe a cc member on the flight deck when a pilot leaves it for any reason?

Just bloody awful.

agreed. Just waiting for knee jerk reactions.

and +1 to the last bit.

hora
    Free Member

Hard to compute. Really is.

avdave2

So despite other suspected and confirmed pilot suicides since 9/11 and locked cockpits no international requirement for there always to be 2 people on the flight deck has been implemented. Some airlines have independently introduced the policy so what excuse have those not implementing it got?

andyl
    Free Member

Just thinking back to the old days when they had a flight engineer on the flight deck. At least it would help prevent this kind of situation but the role is not needed any more.

Although thoughts go back to Fedex 705 when al 3 crew members were very badly injured by an employee along for the ride wanting to crash the plane.

STATO
    Free Member

Some airlines have independently introduced the policy so what excuse have those not implementing it got?

Customers dont want to pay extra for someone sitting around doing nothing when they could be walking the plane giving them free small cans of pop?

Northwind

sharkbait – Member

Bollocks… it’s a cowards way out

**** off.

piemonster

My god that’s awful

mrblobby
    Free Member

Reminded of Egypt Air 990.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Andyl

Yes the FE was an excellent flight safety and CRM element. Just they all stink of wee now sadly.

I do hope knee jerk responses are avoided over this. Aviation is one of the most regulated and supervised industries in the world.

pondo

Hard to compute. Really is.

Don’t often agree with you old chap, but +1.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I really hope the co-pilot isn’t being branded a mass murderer before all the facts are know.

andyl
    Free Member

I really hope the co-pilot isn’t being branded a mass murderer before all the facts are know

This ^

would be horrible to find there was a mistake or deliberate deception by the other pilot but the guys family had been hounded by the press. eg somehow incapacitated the co-pilot to implicate him. They said there was no word from the co pilot for the last 10 minutes but were adamant he was alive. But I am sure there is a lot of details not released on which they are basing these claims…or I hope.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, BBC now confirms the co-pilok is a mass murderer who murdered the people in the entire plane.

The co-pilok is a mass murderer. He is.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see but presumably the sequence (pilot leaves cockpit, closes door after which the plane starts its dive) are fairly conclusive to the co-pilot having done it on purpose which is why they’ve put it out there.

IME air safety people are pretty conservative in saying things before they’re sure.

LHS
    Free Member

Pretty evident he is a mass murderer.

njee20
    Free Member

Is it? Or have you just read a bit of testimony on the web?

It seems the likely truth, but I’d not go as far as “pretty evident”, we really have little idea.

LHS
    Free Member

Is it?

Yes.

andyl
    Free Member

Well his house and life will now be getting searched with a fine tooth comb to find out any reason for it.

hora
    Free Member

On the M60 motorway I often pass under a motorway bridge with flowers tied to the railings directly above the fast lane. I’ve seen this a few times- inexplicably over the fast lane too. If you were intent on killing yourself you’d jump infront of a truck in the slow lane however doing it over the fast lane ensures a fast, very nasty high speed collision with an innocent person who never wronged you but it doesn’t take rocket science to figure you doing that velocity/connection they too will suffer very serious life changing injuries or death.

So why take someone with you? Are you that deep/mad/intent on taking your own life that you want to go out the nastiest, messiest way possible and don’t care if you take anyone else out with you?

teenrat

Unfortunately in this day and age though, i think suicide is not the only reason. Was he radicalised, was it an act of terrorism? These questions must be answered to determine what the main objective of the crash was.

v666ern
    Free Member

So why take someone with you? Are you that deep/mad/intent on taking your own life that you want to go out the nastiest, messiest way possible and don’t care if you take anyone else out with you?

IME suicidal people dont think like that, even if you hang yourself someone has to find you, clear everything up…all they are thinking is im better off not here

agree with your sentiment, if it was suicide, that taking 140 others with you is a bit extreme

andyl
    Free Member

^ eh? I wouldnt be so sure there wouldnt be a nasty accident if you jumped infront of a truck. What if you take out the driver who then swerves across the motorway, taking out cars in the two lanes to his/her right and then through the central reservation into the path of oncoming cars?

Best case is you don’t kill anyone but someone still has to scrape you up off the floor and driver that runs you over has to go for counselling etc. Still selfish.

just jump off a cliff into the sea after checking there is no one below.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are you that deep/mad/intent on taking your own life

That is a great example of a tuatology.

Clearly if you’re taking your own life you’re likely to be thinking rationally.

ALthough that said, I did have a long and very interesting conversation with a Samaritan a few months back (I was calling because I was concerned about a friend) and they said something that I found very poignant and interesting which was that the contemplation of suicide is itself a way of taking back control of a situation you feel you have no control over. And indeed, following through with it is another step in that control. I was also surprised to learn that the Samaritans don’t approach calls of that nature with the aim of talking people down. Sometimes their job is to be there with the person as they follow through with it.

It was very poignant conversation. It gave me some insights that mean I’m not going to judge this pilot if it was indeed suicide.

hora
    Free Member

Sometimes their job is to be there with the person as they follow through with it.

Really?!

GrahamS

The prosecutor described it as “the most plausible explanation”.

There is a pretty big gap between plausibility and evidence.
    Not that the press will care, but it would be awful if they destroyed an innocent man’s reputation based just on plausibility.

Other scenarios are possible, less plausible maybe but possible.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

On the M60 motorway I often pass under a motorway bridge with flowers tied to the railings directly above the fast lane. I’ve seen this a few times- inexplicably over the fast lane too. If you were intent on killing yourself you’d jump infront of a truck in the slow lane however doing it over the fast lane ensures a fast, very nasty high speed collision with an innocent person who never wronged you but it doesn’t take rocket science to figure you doing that velocity/connection they too will suffer very serious life changing injuries or death.

People do this kind of thing because they have an extreme form of passive aggressive behavior, there are generally two types of suicide. Relatively clean ones (hangings, overdoses etc), whereby the person was just depressed and angry suicides (eg shotgun >>>> brains up the wall – the intention being to make a statement).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_explosive_disorder

This used to be classified as a subtype of passive-aggressive disorder.

chewkw
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Is it? Or have you just read a bit of testimony on the web?

It seems the likely truth, but I’d not go as far as “pretty evident”, we really have little idea. [/quote]

BBC now named the co-pilok as mass murderer. He killed everyone in the plane including children and families. He is a mass murderer. Yes, he is.

He joined the airline in 2013, which is not very long, so he must have a really messed up head to do so but nevertheless he is now a mass murderer.

The question is whether something caused his pilok head to do so.

Suicide? He can killed himself and his pilok head but to take other innocence people with him … pui! I have no sympathy with this pilok. He should be heavily judged in the afterlife.

🙄

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It gave me some insights that mean I’m not going to judge this pilot if it was indeed suicide.

Care to share the insights?

Because, currently, without them, and I reckon I might not be alone on this one – I’m not with you there. 150 passengers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per @Tom’s post above the co-pilot clearly intended to make a statement about control and power, to prove he could take the lives of many others. Picking through this is going to be very interesting for the criminal psychologists.

By the way he is a mass murderer. Zero sympathy from me for his mental state.

njee20
    Free Member

He joined the airline in 2013, which is not very long, so he must have a really messed up head to do so but nevertheless he is now a mass murderer.

The question is whether something caused his pilok head to do so.

Suicide? He can killed himself and his pilok head but to take other innocence people with him … pui!

What? And why do you keep writing “pilok”, I genuinely don’t understand WTF you’re talking about. What’s the relevance in how long he’s been at the airline?

GrahamS

BBC now named the co-pilok as mass murderer.

No they haven’t. The BBC are not crash investigators.

They have simply reported that the prosecutor Brice Robin stated a deliberate act is “The most plausible interpretation”.

mrchrispy

Seems like (and I really do hope this was the case) the passengers didnt know anything was up until just before then end. As horrifying as that is I’m sure someones last actions were to try and leave a message to loved ones, there is a chance they’ll find something in the wreckage.

Edukator
    Free Member

The only other time I’ve heard of German Wings (I watch n-tv most days) is because of the strikes which result from the company imposing ever less favourable conditions on their employees.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 493 total)

The topic ‘Plane crash in the alps’ is closed to new replies.