Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pizza stones for ovens
  • burko73

as above. Thinking of buying one to have a go at home made pizza. Have a large oven and was looking at 1”thick pizza stones.

Anyone got any good experiences with suppliers?

I presume its it’s not good to leave them in the oven all the time as that would make the oven take longer to get up to temp?

anything to look out for/ avoid?

Drac

Aldi special or Amazon mine is an Amazon version it’s a few mm think and works perfectly. Just like an oven tray I take them out of the oven when not is use.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-pizza-stone/

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got an old weber rectangular one, basically a lump of granite cut to the width of an oven shelf. Works a treat.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine’s about 1/2″ thick. We have a gas oven with the burners at the bottom so having the stone in all the time actually helps distribute the heat a bit more evenly.

Trick I’ve found is to make the pizza’s, plenty of flour to stop then sticking to the stone, get the oven up to max temperature and then wack the grill on. That best mimics a pizza oven where the flames and reflected heat cook the topping. With the stone alone it tends to dry out or burn the base before the cheese cooks.

Alternatively, I’ve got some pizza trays which are baking trays with holes in the bottom to let heat through, those work brilliantly when I’ve more than one pizza to cook quickly as they don’t need to be left to warm up between pizzas.

Drac

get the oven up to max temperature and then wack the grill on.

Oooh might give that a try.

leffeboy

I just use some spare floor tiles from when we tiled our kitchen. Cut them to fit with a disk cutter and then warm the oven up slowly first time round so they don’t crack

Also added extra ‘racks’ to our oven with a couple of wire coat hangers to hand  tile from

Works perfectly and we make pizza every week now 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

plenty of flour to stop then sticking to the stone

Semolina flour is the stuff for stopping the pizza sticking.

maccruiskeen

If you’ve already got a nice heavy casserole dish just turn it upside down and used the bottom.

I tend to use a thin/perforated metal tray anyway, but sit it on the pre-heated upturned casserole

burko73

lots of options there.

my oven has a combo grill/ fan that I think works with the oven so will give that a go.

will trawl amazon for a stone I think unless anyone else can point me in a particular direction…

runbrecon
    Free Member

They’re a good option and do a reasonable job of creating the hot floor of a pizza oven, Need to get them nice and hot then minimise how often you open the oven.

If you like pizza have you considered building an oven in your garden? Quite fun to build and great for social outside eating.

i_like_food

Do you have an old floor tile (ceramic not carpet!) knocking about? That’s what we use and it does the job.

Like the idea of the grill though, will try that.

rene59
    Free Member

Pizza steels have taken over from pizza stones. Get with the times.

burko73

I have toyed with the clay/ brick oven outside but I’m not set where to put it/ have been building stufff constantly etc and haven’t had time. I thought about a Uuni or a roccbox. They seemed like a better idea but I’d want to use proper wood not pellets as I have a huge stack of wood ever ready. Then I thought I had better use for £500. If I could get a Uuni Pro or roccbox cheap I’d prob go for that. I then thought why not give it a try with a stone in our oven?

mariner
    Free Member

Also consider pottery kiln shelves made of Cordierite. Your local pottery supplies should be able to cut it to size for you.

See also

https://www.pizzacraft.com/blogs/pizzacraft-blog/67415619-ceramic-vs-cordierite-stones-vs-baking-steels

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yo guys need to head over to the stw uuni thread..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Uuni? Na, if you’ve got your own wood stack, home made is better…😊

Pizza! by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

burko73

No beer – I’ve go that bbq. What’s the extra bit and does it work?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The extra bit is home made stainless sheet, but Weber sell a ring, as do others, see link below. Aye, it works alright, only other thing I did was to build the inside up a bit – the grill on the weber sits maybe an inch down inside the base, so I’ve cut 3 big rectangular floor tiles into hex shape, and used them as packing/pizza stones, to bring it up level.

Pizza Oven Kits for Gas and Weber Kettle Charcoal Grills – KettlePizza

burko73

ive seen such things but always wondered if they work/ how controllable they are?

jamj1974

Something I do is to use a heavy, solid frying pan, heat on the hob set to high wipe the inside base with a little olive oil and put the pizza base* in that.  I then top the pizza in the literal 2 minutes the pizza base is cooking and then put under a pre-heated hot grill for  another couple of minutes.  Fresh, restaurant quality pizza without a lot of faff.

*Only with freshly made bases

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burko,  controllable isn’t an issue, you just want it as hot as possible really.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pizza stones for ovens’ is closed to new replies.