Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pivot Firebird 29 Ride SLX/XT Air review
  • justinbieber

The Pivot Firebird 29 utilises DW-link suspension offering 165mm of travel, and is paired with a 170mm travel Fox 38 Performance fork.

By justinbieber

Get the full story here:

Pivot Firebird 29 Ride SLX/XT Air review

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Impressively frank and honest.

sharkattack

Sadly, this particular X2 is now making the characteristic squelching noise of a shock that’s not quite right internally. This seems to be a common problem that Fox is experiencing, so let’s hope they get on top of it soon.

Well I got my X2 in 2017 and it cost me over £300 for 3 rebuilds in 3 years. On the 4th occasion I sold it as spares or repairs and bought something else. If they haven’t sorted it by now despite a recent major overhaul I’d imagine that they don’t care.

Annoyingly, the SLX brakes on the Pivot Firebird were problematic for the majority of the test, to the point where I felt unsafe riding it at times

You should post this on the forum. People will be lining up to tell that Shimano brakes are perfect in every way and “I haven’t had a problem so the problem can not exist”. Apparently they can be fixed by bleeding them with a syringe made from a unicorn horn but only on Friday the 13th at midnight. If you can’t manage a simple bleed it’s just user error.

rootes1

Impressively frank and honest.

^This – makes a nice change.

a11y

Well I got my X2 in 2017 and it cost me over £300 for 3 rebuilds in 3 years. On the 4th occasion I sold it as spares or repairs and bought something else. If they haven’t sorted it by now despite a recent major overhaul I’d imagine that they don’t care.

Yup, the X2 squelch has been a thing for years – I’d immediately swap one out if if it came on a bike I bought. Mine was pre-overhaul and started squelching within 9 months of use (previous owner had it serviced immediately before I bought it). I had it serviced again – TF Tuned had it in bits anyway investigating the issue – then sold it. Shame as it worked great, when it worked.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Shudder to think what kashima and full XT and decent tyred version would cost, it’s a big fat no from me. Prices getting silly.

bikesandboots

The only slight check mark against it in these situations is that it can feel quite long when sitting down and pedalling, thanks to the slacker virtual seat tube angle.

Pivot do appear to be a standout in this regard. I’d always want the reach of one size and the top tube length of the size below. Not that I can afford one.

e.g. I like a 450-60mm reach and around 600mm top tube. This bike with a 455mm reach has a 625mm top tube.

crashrash

Regarding the brakes I have now had similar issues with Shimano callipers one XTR and one XT on different bikes. Started with swapping pads out but the inability to brake and slow down plus the noise returned after a couple of rides. New calliper and all fine so I fear you are right about leaking seals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.