Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Piper House Gate – Blacka Moor
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I rode here yesterday having not ridden in the area for 6 or so months having moved to Leeds.

The last time I rode my old local loop SCC had started to renovate the bridleway on Houndkirk Moor (which is now complete by the looks of it) but also the track from the wall at the car park to the start of Piper House Gate.

Thankfully they seem to have reverted from their original plans and made an excellent job of it. No doubt due to the great work of Ride Sheffield and others. I do know that Ride Sheffield are planning maintenance of Devils Elbow Gate in early Septemeber although in it’s present relatively dry state I thought it was OK. In fact I was in spitting distance of clearing the climb to the sign post at the top with no dabs. Quite chuffed.

Anyway, what I was shocked about was the amount of errosion at the top of the Piper House Gate descent. It seems to me that some riders are deviating from tight singeltrack channel and damaging the surrounding moorland. I’ve always felt that descent is fast and challenging enough without straying from it so cannot see why riders are choosing to do this.

This has only happened recently, in the last 6 months or so. Anyone else notice this? Disappointing to say the least 🙁

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve not seen it but disappointing if it is true. maybe more people are trying to ride it who cant manage the rocks and drops in the gully.

This is what you get for turning houndkirk moor into a featureless motorway, everyone is looking for fun somewhere else.

are ride sheffield really planning work on devils elbow? Cant help thinking they should leave well alone, I haven’t seen anyone from ride sheffield canvessing for opinion on whether this needs to be changed or not. I like it muddy! keeps it quiet

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

My thoughts too nosedive. Either riders using Blacka are not able to negotiate the first few sharp bends at the top of the descent where the deeper channel starts or faster/big hitting bikes/riders are just plowing their own paths.

I even noticed it on the sliver of singletrack from the gate down to the rocky channel where people are just straight lining over the grass rather than sticking to the line.

Just dont want it to get bad and then for SCC and SWT to take action.

I understand the resurfacing of H’kirk as it had begun to be badly affected by 4x4s and Mx’ers and hopefully over the years it will return to it’s former self (although they’ll need to remove those bloody big boulders out of the way as this is where I’d usually take my line). It does detract somewhat from what was a great stretch of riding but at least they’ve not motorwayed the lot.

Yep, I’ve got a FB invite to the DEG maintenance day and I’m still on the Ride Sheff mailing list.

nosedive
    Free Member

seems I miss out on some things by avoiding facebook ! Do you know exactly what is planned for this maintanence day? I hope not the usual dumbing down, flattening, widening that maintanence usually means. I think Devil’s elbow is sheffield wildlife forum territory and they have made a real mess of some trails near me like this.

Would ridesheffield not be better off leaving it alone and going and building some trails where there aren’t any ?

(unless you all plan to build in some nice kickers or something in which case I will just retract all this and look a bit silly)

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Rest easy nosedive 🙂 Details below….

“Sheffield Wildlife Trust are planning to do some trail maintenence to Devil’s elbow bridleway on blackamoor. This is likely to include the boggy area at the bottom and the concessionary bridleway at the top. The maintenence will be low key, focusing on improving drainage and keeping the width of the track to a minimum. They would really like some mountain bikers to help out. The advantage of having mountain bikers there is two-fold: it will improve our image and reputation as a user-group, enabling us to have a bigger voice in any future developments and, of course it will enable us to ensure the maintenence keeps the excellent devil’s elbow bridleway just as we like it!! Exact meet time to be confirmed later”

nosedive
    Free Member

OK, I will try and stay calm

If I ride down there and it is been laid flat with boring white crushed stone like the SWT work around me I will of course be ranting again calling you a collaborator. I really hope they aren’t just using bikers to help deflect criticism

until then I will wind my neck back in and try and give you, and SWT the benefit of the doubt. for a change.

and if you could build a sneaky kicker while you are there it would be all good

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Piper House Gate – Blacka Moor’ is closed to new replies.