Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Pipe-dreaming and fantasising thread – share your best 2021 route plans!
  • 13thfloormonk

Keeping myself sane at the moment by dreaming up some ridiculous routes for later in the year.

I say ridiculous, but I surprised myself by seeing through last year’s ‘ridiculous’ plan and had a great four days riding from Edinburgh to Aviemore and back to Blair Atholl, so here’s to something similar this summer!

The ‘Smash’n’Grab’ gravel trilogy

This started as a 5 dayer, but wife put her foot down due to my other riding plans this year, so have broken it into 3 train assisted 2-day raids. Especially excited about visiting Glen Roy, re-visiting Glen Affric, and making the connection between Glenelg and Kinlochhourne. I’ve even adapted the Superfly for one of these trips as it starts off as a reverse Tour de Ben Nevis…

https://www.strava.com/routes/2780852176603951344

https://www.strava.com/routes/2780840660770091372

https://www.strava.com/routes/2780833018058470910

What is everyone else looking forward to?

bedmaker

I’d like to get to Georgia to do the Tusheti route planned for May 2020…..

Highly unlikely to happen though, so I’ll probably just nick some of what you’ve planned 🙂

Only real plan I had otherwise is to d othe HT550 at an enjoyable pace, with beer and sunset appreciation.

It may be a good year to visit parts of my own country I’ve never been to, including Argyll and the Angus glens.

Fat-boy-fat

Have a notion to go from Fort William to Nairn via Laggan, Ruthven and Aviemore. Been on my list for a while but being too porky has got in the way along with COVID.

Thinking about doing the Affric Kintail way (west to east) and the Bonar Bridge to Ullapool coast to coast to coast again as well.

jam-bo

I’ve done that strontian to polloch section in the opposite direction. Type 3 fun.

mrhoppy

I’d been planning the Deeside Way but that assumes the borders ever get opened up again.

13thfloormonk

I’ve done that strontian to polloch section in the opposite direction. Type 3 fun.

I’ve done it both ways on tarmac, the Corrantee mine route was Scotroute’s suggestion. Looks interesting enough to merit the inevitable hike-a-bike…

Tusheti route

Just googled, that looks awesome! Will add it to the list of almost-certainly-just-pipedreams (currently featuring the Torino-Nice Rally and some hellishly impractical Norwegian tour).

HT550 at an enjoyable pace, with beer and sunset appreciation

Enjoyable and in comfort? You’ll need a month, and some Sherpas 😉

chvck
    Free Member

I’d like to do multiday bikepacking in mid Wales. A route taking in the fun bits at the dyfi, nant-y-arian, hafren, and myherin. I know how to do dyfi over to nant and then to myherin but more research required on hafren and how to then back to the start as a loop (got some ideas), instead of a load of out and back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only plans are a couple of days on a few ferries over to jura, throw bike into a hedge and have a summit camp on the paps.

Then home.

baxburner
    Free Member

My plan is to take the train up to Inverness from Carlisle and ride back via the Badger Divide and either NCN7 or part of the 2nd City divide to Kielder before diverting back to Carlisle. Just need to get rid of the Christmas kilos first!

13thfloormonk

summit camp on the paps.

How did that song go, everybody needs a (massive, rocky) bosom for a pillow?

matt_outandabout

We’ve the aborted mini-tour around Arran, Islay, Jura and Bute we need to complete.

I’m trying to line up a 3-day gravel and road ride with middle_oab when he finishes college. Still mulling routes over.

I’m also hoping to do a couple of bug local day routes on Stirling & Perthshire border.

jimdubleyou

Definitely planning to have a crack at the King Alfred Way, seeing as it’s easily accessible from home/short train journey. Pace will depend on if Mrs Dubs fancies it or not. She’s more of a day rider though tbh.

Otherwise, I want to do the Great North Trail, but finding the holiday from work is an issue.

tuboflard

I’d like to give this a bash

https://bikepacking.com/routes/bear-bones-bash-mid-wales/

I do like the look of the King Alfred Way too though. I’d probably aim to do that over three days. Any locals recommend where you’d stop on the two nights? Happy to bivvy but somewhere to eat or at least buy food would be easier so only have to carry sleeping kit and a stove for brews ideally.

jimdubleyou

Join the Facebook group for KAW -lots of locals tips on there.

tuboflard
    pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last year researching and recceing a route across Spain which goes via the sources of the 3 longest rivers. I’ve done similar trips every year since we moved here in 2015 but this is a bit longer and more off road. I’ve called it the Spanish Divide and a group start/ride is planned for the end of May.
    Spanish Divide Wikiloc Segments

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How did that song go, everybody needs a (massive, rocky) bosom for a pillow?

3 always better than 2…

13thfloormonk

Any locals recommend where you’d stop on the two nights? Happy to bivvy but somewhere to eat or at least buy food would be easier so only have to carry sleeping kit and a stove for brews ideally.

GCN did a video, they didn’t explicitly say where their bivvy spot was, but you could probably identify the cafe they had breakfast in and work it out from there 😎

Marin
    Free Member

Touring down through Chille to Patagonia next winter but maybe bike packing some Scottish routes in reality.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Pretty modest, but I had a plan to ride from my front door in Birmingham to the Welsh coast (Aberystwyth maybe) and then back the next day by a different route.
    Over Christmas I also found myself thinking about a quiet route LEJOG, but I can’t really see that being on the cards this summer.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Created this fantasy century around North Wales iconic peaks a while back, doesn’t have to start in Harlech, might be one for the longest day, brilliant weather and a ~0500 start. 😆

https://www.strava.com/routes/19095544

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Nice little side trip up to the reservoir!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Stwlan Dam is supposed to be well worth the side diversion, closed to public motor traffic, regarded as one of the three top climbs of the UK by Simon Warren. For the challenge, the only climb higher on my “to do” wish list is Bwlch Y Groes from the south, I’m expecting it to make my ride up “Draycott Steep” last September to feel like a piece of cake… Its ~0.5 mile of ~20% in the middle was anything but!

belugabob
    Free Member

Western most point on the mainland (Ardnamurchan Lighthouse) to the eastern most point (Ness Point)

Realistically, it’ll probably be 2022, though – just in time for my 60th

Alex

KAW for me as well. Going to wait until we can B&B it tho. I like my trips to include proper beds, warm showers and someone else cooking breakfast 🙂

We’re booked to go to Ciclo Montana end April (having postponed from Sept). No idea on that one.

Then Singletrack Safari/Andorra or another week end June

Then we’re on the waiting/provisional list for Basque MTB October bonkers epic.

And that’s just the weeks away. We’ve so many mini trips we want to do. Hoping we’ll be able to do at least some this year. Not getting any younger!

breninbeener

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at I like your route, i will do that as soon as the days get a little longer!
    Ian

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@breninbeener You will have to let us/me know how it goes and take a few pics from at least the summits!

I’ve no idea if there is a better way of linking the north end of Hirnant Pass to Stwlan Dam climb, or from the dam base to Harlech.

breninbeener

I will do. Im near llanberis so will have to wait til teavel is less messy….or have a massive day!!

petecam
    Free Member

I have a cunning plan to ride from my place in Cambridgeshire to my mums in Devon, using as little road as possible, so byways, bridalways etc. I’d do it over a few days and take in Salisbury plains and the ridgeway etc.

I don’t really have a reason just want to !

I’ll get the train back or SWMBO might come get me!

highlandman
    Free Member

Couple of wee gravel multi day tours with the Mrs:
    1. Dunkeld to Newtonmore and Inverness on NC7, Fort Augustus on the new south side gravel route, Great Glen Way to Ft Bill. Then take the Camusnagaul boat across Linnhe, back again at Corran and south on the easy cycle path to Connel. Then Taynuilt, Etive, Glen Kinglas to the Bridge of Orchy hotel, before WHW just a few miles south, up over to Glen Lyon and return that way to Dunkeld to finish. This one is going to be about enjoying the journey and the experience, eating good food along the way.
    2. 4 day Badger Divide northbound from Glasgow to Inverness probably, with a stop at the Ossian hostel along the way as it’s a favourite spot.
    Also but with a buddy instead of the Mrs and on bigger bikes: northern half of the HT550 above Ft Augustus. No idea how long that might take..
    Run with the Mrs from Braemar to Glenmore Lodge, probably via summits northbound, then back via Lairig an Laoigh the next day.
    WHW Race ’21. If we get to do it.

13thfloormonk

Sounds great Highlandman! If both our plans work out we’ll be crossing paths a fair few times. Hadn’t heard of the South Loch Ness trail but had (virtually) explored a few options on tbe south bank, seems to be a bit of a playground. Def want to ride the Lacets de Inverfarigaig…

scotroutes

I have a coast-to coast plan of Morar to Pennan.

MoGJoG

WHW in a day

roger_mellie

Nothing ridiculous.

Some road rides on the Devon/ Dorset coast from Lost Lanes West adapted to start/ finish from the same campsite (fingers crossed) for a long weekend. Well, the occasional 16% incline might be ridiculous. Had fun planning that one.

King Alfred’s Way is a good shout as it’s practically on my doorstep. I just can’t get too excited by the Ridgeway which is the closest bit to me….

benman
    Free Member

Currently in training for the Fred Whitton, but I can’t see that going ahead so…

Out the front door (Derbyshire) and up to John o Groats via a scenic route. Hopefully take about 7 days.

Across Wales from Bristol to Bangor, hopefully over a weekend.

That’s as far as I’ve got

singletrackmind

6 day bike tour .SDW. KAW . NDW . 400 odd miles . mostly off road
    Might join Poop on his SDD ride if I can refind my 2019 fitness .

13thfloormonk

Currently in training for the Fred Whitton, but I can’t see that going ahead so…

We were supposed to be visiting Centre Parcs Winfell, had hoped to sneak in an FW loop too ☹

Have plotted a nice wee Scottish equivalent taking in all the big Perthshire climbs, not as punishing as Fred but still some big elevation gain and a couple of pointy bits.

Check out this route on Strava: https://strava.app.link/iT74pvTcXcb — McFred McWhitton

highlandman
    Free Member

Nice route Monk, probably the best way to use the Perthshire climbs in a single day ride and stay within the county. Back in Lockdown 1, I had a great wee empty roads experience, home to Kirriemuir, Fettercairn, past Aboyne on the S Deeside road, Braemar, Glenshee and home via the Drumderg wind farm road to Alyth. Think it was about 125 miles, so similar with perhaps a bit less climbing but more council areas would be more of an issue just now.

v7fmp

me and two chums are hoping to do this in 2021…

https://www.transatlantisrace.com/

fingers crossed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m hoping to be able to do the XDuro North-South Wales route in a day. I say ‘able to’, I mean both in terms of fitness and COVID regs. Fitness is doing fairly well, weight also progressing although more slowly.

crazy-legs

Out the front door (Derbyshire) and up to John o Groats via a scenic route. Hopefully take about 7 days.

@benfan – there’s a link to a ride here that @richpips and his lad did last year in the break between lockdowns which is almost exactly what you describe:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3881552648

@richpips
    on Twitter and IG as well.

A few years ago, I did a gravel route across Lancashire – started at Rochdale, finished at Arnside and went via a load of old packhorse trails, bits of Pennine Bridleway, canal towpath and so on. Was a really nice ride, quite a bit of industrial history within it. I’ve got a similar plan for a Trans-Cumbria which i almost did this year but then ended up doing a Lakeland Loop road ride of 145 miles in one day right around the Lake District which was a stunning day out, probably the best ride of 2020 for me.

I did a canal towpath loop too, the Cheshire Ring which is 100 miles – managed to pick a really nice weekday so it was quiet, the trails were dry and again, that was a lovely day out. Might try another one of those style things when I can.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Pipe-dreaming and fantasising thread – share your best 2021 route plans!’ is closed to new replies.