Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Pipe-dreaming and fantasising thread – share your best 2021 route plans!
  • beamers

Trail of the Seven Lochs in one hit for me.

Linky

Mostly because I can do it from my front door.

13thfloormonk

Nice route Monk, probably the best way to use the Perthshire climbs in a single day ride and stay within the county.

To be fair, this was plotted in anticipation of some sort of crazy, post Covid dreamland where I didn’t need to pay attention to county lines!

Trail of the Seven Lochs in one hit for me.

That looks great, could also add in Loch Killin and Glendoe Reservoir for some additional high level adventure (it looks like there are landy tracks traversing the plateau at that point, I’ve always wanted to get up there and have a look).

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve been wanting to do this for a couple of years since a friend of mine did it on a singlespeed two years ago! It’s called Stoneman Miriquidi and it’s a sign posted 190km route in Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) with 4000m of climbing taking in the Czech Republic side, too. You register and they send you a starter pack with a card that you have to stamp at various locations along th route. When you finish it successfully you can receive a trophy. You can do it when you want between May and September. Actually just noticed they’ve changed the route which is now 165km but the same climbing meters. Link
    The other one that I’ve been meaning to do for even longer is der Rennsteig in the Thuringian Forrest. Also 190km of trails going over the ridges of the mountain range. I’ve ridden a lot of it at various times but never in one go.
    Link

WildHunter2009

The King Alfred Way and The South Downs way as they are both fairly local to me and I should have my Fairlight in March so fancy something to shake that down on.

highlandman
    Free Member

Monk, long (long..) before that reservoir & associated wind farm were built, I used to cycle and walk up there to fish the high level lochs all across Carn a Chuilinn and up at Loch Killin, for that matter too. I’ve only recently spotted the apparent link and as its clearly visible on the satellite view, I’ll maybe try to visit while up north this year.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Split my list into three. Possible, aspirational & Beyond Me

Achievable
    Cavedale clean.
    Antur Styniog with the wean on a day when it’s not an ice rink, and my bike doesn’t fall apart.
    Coed y Brenin with the kids. Soooo much want to do that. Oh memories.

Aspirational
    100km Peak Route including Cavedale, Beast Stanage Causeway clean.
    North side of Cut Gate clean
    Fränkische Gebirgsweg in Bavaria.
    Borrowdale Bäsh/ Ullock Pike Combo.
    6 passes. (Lakes 4 passes + access and return from Langdale)
    Helvellyn, High Street, Skiddaw combo

Impossible Dream
    MTB Everesting
    Quad Road Century

jimmy

On the wish list are:

– A variation of the 2nd City Divide from home (Midlothian) to home (Chesterfield). Probably have to be in 2 stints.

– West coast (Road) tour from Lairg to Durness and down the coast to Kyle of Lochalsh.  Preferably further but time permitting… That said, the whole NC500 popularity puts me off.

13thfloormonk

Rats, this is what happens when you’re stuck in lockdown, your perfectly reasonable, achievable 85km loops become 116km loops because you finally figure out that the Cowal Way up and over to Curra Lochain is actually relatively passable…

This looks epic, I think I’ll need to spend February and March doing as many local gravel miles as possible so I’m ready for some long days once lockdown lifts!

Edit: still tinkering, I think the detour up to Sloy Dam is a trifle un-necessary this time…

https://www.strava.com/routes/2772815777169700214

13thfloormonk

Another week, another fantasy gravel loop in the Cairngorms.

I’ve ridden most of this as a sort of ‘gravelised’ outer Cairngorms 300 loop. I really wanted to ride up to Faindouran (someone on here had posted some pics of the track) but didn’t know how to incorporate the rest. I then realised that heading up to the Fords of Avon and following the track back up and over to Ryvoan was probably relatively gravel-able and created what looks like my perfect sort of loop, 90% good gravel, 10% ‘spicy’…

Lord knows when I’ll get to do this, all the big ambitious plans are getting compressed into a very short summer at this rate!

https://www.strava.com/routes/2787327541259647060

highlandman
    Free Member

Lordy, that’s tough ground to carry a gravel bike over! From the bothy up to the Fords of Avon refuge is an utter ball ache (although a lighter gravel bike might make it marginally less painful) but even then, you’re less than half way through the suffering. Getting up from the shelter north onto the shoulder of Bynack Mor from there isn’t easy, even with the improvements to parts of the trail east of the summit. After that, I hope you’re good at hopping water bars on a fast downhill…. and have tough tyres. Not saying don’t do it; am saying go into it with your eyes open (and your pump at the ready..).

13thfloormonk

Haha! Yeah, I’ve ridden through the area before (except Faindouran – FoA). 10km of dubious terrain vs. 90km of good terrain, I like those odds…

I have a lot of faith in the ability of the gravel bike to pick through tough terrain if you’re climbing or on the flat, I’ve been amazed at what is rideable (e.g. the worst bits of Glen Kinglas from Etive – Orchy, Gaick Pass, Loch Builg, Glen Tilt), in fact, I’m coming to believe that it’s only really at speed that you lose out to an MTB.

Descents – less so, but I don’t live for the descents on the gravel bike so am happy to keep speed in check and just roll down. I run 40mm Terrenos which have proven exceptionally reliable so far, and that’s running tubes (no punctures at all until Hawthorne season started). I’ll be running tubeless from now on which would allow slightly less pressure as well.

As you say though, go in with the eyes open and prepare for some hike-a-bike, is worth it for the good stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Pipe-dreaming and fantasising thread – share your best 2021 route plans!’ is closed to new replies.