• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • ppeak
    Free Member

I’ve an option on a 2017(?) arkose 1 small frame bike (blue with blue lettering)
    Looking for something I can upgrade as I go.
    All my other bikes are small sized either 51/52 road and cross but sizes seem to be in the region of the small arkose which is a 49(?)
    I’m just shy of 5’8” and have a 30” inseam.
    Any real world advice on sizing welcome.
    Also thicky question if I wanted to run 650b is it easy enough to find wheels that suit this model?
    Thanks

luv2ride
    Free Member

Think these wheels would be ok: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-650b-adventure-sport-disc-27-5-gravel-road-trail-wheelset-1579g-24deep-25wide?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw84XtBRDWARIsAAU1aM0ToxxANx6jfcLDrlQrMZwlF_J9Ns3b0H4UzMvN8vOZjkXBkBVYE9kaAvWlEALw_wcB
    Probably weight saving over stock. Think PX are also rolling out FSA 650b Aftrburners for less than £200 a pair, and think you can get adaptors for 9mm QR, or through axles standards, but you’d need to check before buying. Adaptors definately available from Hunt if not already in the box…

easily
    Free Member

ppeak
    I’m pretty much the same size as you and I ride a small Arkose, I reckon you’ll be ok.

Occasionally I’ve brushed a toe on the tyre as I’ve cornered, but it’s only happened once or twice – even with mudguards on – and that’s the only problem I’ve had.

ppeak
    Free Member

Cheers
    Took the plunge and picked it up seemed to fit ok but time and miles will tell, it was worth a punt for the money. I’ve picked up some unused 40 WTB Nanos that i’ll be fitting for now.

Follow up question though. Using the original 9 speed sora rear mech what’s the biggest cassette I can and go too?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking for a new gravel bike and I must say arkose d1 is one of the best looking bikes I’ve seen in a while, the paint job is stunning. And I say this as a man who has bikes costing thousands of pounds more.

Spec ain’t great but that’s not an issue for the purposes I intend it. One question I do have. The riddler tyres, are they the tubeless variety? The non oem models all have tcs written on them, whilst the ones on the bike didn’t.

As for question above re the sora rear mech, largest officially on the gs model is 34, but as shimano tend to be a bit conservative I suspect you could get a 36 in there. If I buy One I’ll be converting it to a 1×9 with a 36 cassette. Anyone know how rattly a shimano shifter will be without a gear cable attached?

rOcKeTdOg

ddoes the 650b version of the ladies frame have a lower standover than the 700c version? asking for a 5ft tall friend

jameso

RD, no, it’s the same frame for 700 and 650. Still quite a low frame, BB drop etc.

wildsi
    Free Member

I have a 2018 Arkose X. The rear hub was changed by Evans at the 6 week service from a cone and cup to a cartridge hub (Novatec D482TSBT) because they had found a fault with it.

The front hub is now getting rough (doesn’t improve after servicing) and I would like to change it to a cartridge type hub, with a similar spec to the Novatec D482TSBT on the rear. Any recommendations? Should I just get a new wheel or swap the hub? I’m happy with rims on the bike and I’d prefer the wheels to match. How much would it cost to build up a wheel?

rOcKeTdOg

RD, no, it’s the same frame for 700 and 650. Still quite a low frame, BB drop etc.

Cheers, hoping to sit her on one soon.

wildsi
    Free Member

I see Evans sell a Pinnacle Adventure Road Disc Wheelset (EV324477) for £250. These wheels have Novatec D791SB (front) and D792SB (rear) hubs which I understand were fitted on the Arkose 4 (2018) bikes. I wonder why the Evans store put a D482TSBT hub on my Arkose X rather than the D792SB?

dawson

I have an Arkose D2 that is 4 months old. It has developed an annoying click from BB, and a creak from the rear hub/cassette when climbing out of saddle in biggest sprocket.

Is the clicking BB a sign that the bearings are failing? There isn’t any play, but it doesn’t seem right.

Anybody else had issues with the FSA BB?

I guess I could take it back to the shop but it might be hard to replicate in the stand

rOcKeTdOg

It has developed an annoying click from BB

check the pedal threads, it could be something as simple as the threads being dry and needing a coating of anti seize. but yes, FSA doesn’t have a good reputation of the seals on their bearings on any component

dawson

Hmm, I have some new pedals that I am due to fit this week, so will be easy to rule that out.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@jameso

Would the dynamo front wheel be strong enough for a tandem as well as the Arkose? Think I can kill 2 birds with a single stone here…

jameso

Good Q, I’m not sure tbh. Would have to say no to be safe, it’s a machine built 32h.. not specified for that use

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheers! Will stick to plan A!

flatpat
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2017 Neon, which I think is pretty similar to the Arkose of that year.

Do 40mm tyres fit OK for you guys? Planning a long gravel ride next year & need the extra cush/grip.

moonboy
    Free Member

Hi folks, Pinnacle Arkose 4, 2018 and would also like to do a hub service. I see Mike DIY’d it. Care to share how difficult a job it was and which bearing pack is the right one? @mikertroid @jameso

cheers

jonostevens
    Free Member

Picked up a immaculate second hand 2018 Arkose 2 this weekend. Looking forward to getting to know the bike.

Can’t work out how to post an Instagram shot to show off the lovely colour.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Hi folks, Pinnacle Arkose 4, 2018 and would also like to do a hub service. I see Mike DIY’d it. Care to share how difficult a job it was and which bearing pack is the right one? @mikertroid@jameso

I can barely recall doing it, so it wasn’t hard…. it was the front hub, so it was a case of gently drifting the bearings out from the opposite side and replacing with the new bearings. Less than 10 minutes IIRC.

lcj

Thanks for the feedback earlier, Jameso.

Medium Arkose X ordered today – the sale price and C2W discounts made it too good to refuse!

mikertroid
    Free Member

The bearings were 6902s

karlp
    Free Member

After some help.
    I’ve got a 2017 Arkose with Novatec D482TSBT hubs.
    I can’t find a service guide or tutorial for this hub and need to replace the bearings.
    Anyone able to send me a link?
    This hub does not seem to be listed on the Novatec website.
    I have checked it’s the correct code.

karlp
    Free Member

Come on you excitable Arkose owners, someone must know something?
    I’ve exchanged emails with Novatec and no tutorials or help with process to change bearings on this hub.
    For info it’s the hub with nuts that screw on either end of the spindle not Allen keys in the spindle.
    I can remove the non drive nuts and bearing seal but do not know what to do next e.g. bash the spindle thru (unlikely with the freehub still attacked) remove the freehub (does it just pull off like a Hope hub). Do i remove driveside nuts by clamping spindle on non driveside?

Help would be appreciated.

wildsi
    Free Member

Hi Karlp. I think I know now why Evans put the Novatec D482TSBT hub on my Arkose X (2018) -they had one spare from the 2017 bikes…. I can’t tell you how to change the cartridge bearings sorry – I would get my lbs to do that. Would you mind telling me which hub is on the front wheel of your 2017 Arkose please and is it a thru axle? I eventually want to change mine to a cartridge type hub. Cheers si

wildsi

I have a 2018 Arkose X. The rear hub was changed by Evans at the 6 week service from a cone and cup to a cartridge hub (Novatec D482TSBT) because they had found a fault with it.

The front hub is now getting rough (doesn’t improve after servicing) and I would like to change it to a cartridge type hub, with a similar spec to the Novatec D482TSBT on the rear. Any recommendations? Should I just get a new wheel or swap the hub? I’m happy with rims on the bike and I’d prefer the wheels to match. How much would it cost to build up a wheel?

Posted 1 month ago

wildsi

I see Evans sell a Pinnacle Adventure Road Disc Wheelset (EV324477) for £250. These wheels have Novatec D791SB (front) and D792SB (rear) hubs which I understand were fitted on the Arkose 4 (2018) bikes. I wonder why the Evans store put a D482TSBT hub on my Arkose X rather than the D792SB?

Posted 1 month ago

karlp
    Free Member

WildSI my font hub is a Novatec D791SB which is bolt thru.
    I’m taking rear to Evans today in the hope one of the mechanics might enlighten me on how to remove freehub etc.
    I’m happy to pay them to do it but I want to be able to do it myself too.

jameso

@Karlp, @Wildsi, D482TSBT – I think – and I’ve not pulled one apart myself, and tbh though the hubs are good we’re speccing less Novatec in future simply because the service info from them isn’t clear between myriad variants/can be hard to get hold of/etc – I think it’s the same process as this, this video just shows the non-disc version

karnali
    Free Member

James not an arkose question but a question re the new Ramin – looks good on website but cant find a geomentry chart anywhere, do you have one or have the fidgures for a medium?

reach stack head angle seat angle and is head angle measured with fork sag?

thanks

jameso

Geo chart for the Ramin to be uploaded asap.

Med –
    450mm seat tube
    470mm reach
    650mm stack
    805mm F-C
    65 HTA static 130mm fork
    75 STA

ramin

karlp
    Free Member

Jameso, it’s not same as that video.
    Understood your point re Novatech as the info I got from them was misleading.
    However I chatted to an Evans mechanic and below is how I did it for the d482tsbt rear hub.

1. Remove cassette.
    2. Remove both sets of endcaps (keep in order or take photos etc.). This needs spanners not allen keys. For me the non driveside came off easy and I needed to clamp in order to remove driveside.
    3. With the freehub in place bash the axle thru from the non driveside. This removes the driveside bearing.
    4. Remove the driveside bearing from the axle.
    5. Spin the axle round and then use it to remove the non driveside bearing I.e. insert thru hub and give it a bash.
    6. Press the new driveside bearing into place.
    7. Insert the axle and press the new non driveside bearing into place.
    8. Replace the endcaps and the casette.

Caveat the above should be correct but drafted after the fact not done from notes made at the time!

townydc
    Free Member

Hi, after some info really, currently riding a 2016 revolt and have been looking to upgrade for a while. The Arkose X that is currently being offered by Evans at just over £1000 has caught my eye at such a good discount.
    However unsure about the 650b wheels on a drop bar ride . My mtb is 650b my revolt is 700c is there anything noticeable with the dirlfferent wheel size. I quite like the idea that you can interchange to 700c if you require. Also my revolt is 3 x 9 how does a 1 x 11 compare when commuting etc etc. Thank you for your time.

wildsi
    Free Member

Thanks karlp and jameso. I’ll probably just change the front hub to the Novatec D791SB. SPACYCLES are selling one for £30 (https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s117p3850/NOVATEC-D791SB-Front-Hub). Would this be the correct one for the Arkose X 2018? Which hubs will be specced in the future if you are moving away from Novatec?

wildsi
    Free Member

townydc My 2018 Arkose X has 1X10 Deore gearing and it is spot on for commuting. The 1X11 will be wider still.

townydc
    Free Member

Thanks wildsi, it’s a very tempting offer.

jameso

it’s not same as that video

Darn, sorry. And there’s my frustration, code number is generally the hub tech/type. But here it’s quite different. I need to go on the Novatec intensive product info and code logic course, clearly. If there is one : )

I’ll probably just change the front hub to the Novatec D791SB. SPACYCLES are selling one for £30 (https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s117p3850/NOVATEC-D791SB-Front-Hub). Would this be the correct one for the Arkose X 2018?

It talks about conversion to 15mm, but the Arkose fork 2018>current is 12mm. We mosly use hubs from KT, Novatec and Shimano. Used to use some from Chosen. Future spec will be based more on service info and spares commonality for easier stocking at our end, I want this to be easier for everyone. I’d like to use more Shimano but the cup and cone spec is a negative for some, plus they don’t cover all the options as well as the more extensive (but occasionally random or scattergun) OE suppliers in Taiwan.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Liking the look of the Ramin….

My son is riding my ’15 one and in not likely to get out back off him….. ..😎

PMK2060

Do you think the Arkose D3 will be discounted anytime soon?

Tempted to order now but knowing my luck it will be reduced in price soon after i place my order.

jameso

^ if not discounted for BF I doubt it. Not a plan I’ve heard discussed either. They’re selling through quickly and orders are placed into spring now so I expect there’s no reason to discount only to be out of stock for a while due to a higher rate of sale. So, no – but they have refunded the difference in the past when what you’re concerned about has happened.

wildsi
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso. Its not straight forward is it! Have you experience of Hope hubs. Spa cycles are have this one for £65 (https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s117p4078/HOPE-Pro-4-Front-Hub). Would it be suitable for the Arkose X (2018) front wheel?

PMK2060

Thanks Jameso. At full price it is probably still the bike I like best so will probably go for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.