• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

Getting a used Arkose 2018. Wanting to run a steel fork for front rack like a pizza rack or low riders. However, the only options mostly have 1 1/8 straight steerers. What do I need to get this to fit on the tapered headtube on the Arkose?

Ah! I came to ask almost the same question.

Running a straight steerer in a tapered headtube is the easy bit: you just need a Hope crown race reducer, which goes on the 1 1/8th steerer making it effectively 1.5″ at the bottom.

The thing I can’t work out is what crown race is needed. The forks I have on my 2017 Arkose have the crown race built into then, so putting a new set of forks on would require getting a crown race that suits. Anyone know what works?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve no more questions, just want to say, well done on the R2! blinking love this bike! 😆

codybrennan
    Free Member

Purely by chance last week I found myself in Evans in Glasgow city centre- a pal was picking up a bike from its service.

Looking around, my eye fell on an Arkose- it was the cream-coloured frame so I think was an X. May have been a remaining 2019 one. I was impressed. Its light for what it is.

And then I got chatting to a chap who was bringing one in for service, and he raved about it.

swmlon
    Free Member

Now I’m a little confused.

So firstly I need to get this, presumably this goes on the steerer. Where then does the crown race fit?

legometeorology
    Free Member

Now I’m a little confused.

So firstly I need to get this, presumably this goes on the steerer. Where then does the crown race fit?

That’s right, the Hope thing goes on the steerer, then the crown race from a tapered headset goes on top of the Hope thing.

I’ve done that before to run rigid straight steerer forks on an mtb with a tapered headtube.

Problem with the Arkose, at least with my one, is that there’s no crown race. The headset is just a bearing that sits between the frame and forks themselves.

jameso

Yes, current Arkose forks have an integrated crown race. The headset is an FSA C40 ACB, with *I think, should say on the bearing* a 45 degree bearing seat. So many crown races for a 1.5 inch integrated bearing with a 45 deg seat or bearing angle would work.

swmlon
    Free Member

So maybe I should take this time to also replace the bearings too from something from Hope that aught to do the trick.
    What are the measurements on the headtube to know which to get, or better yet, can you recommend a new headset to fit the Arkose with a 1 1/8 straight fork?

legometeorology
    Free Member

Ah, OK, got it. Looks like it’s an FSA Crown Race H6083. It’s actually for a 36 deg bearing

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type/headset-spares/no-42-48-acb-3951

jameso

NO.42/ACB-A – ORBIT C-40-ACB SB BLACK 1 1/8″”-1.5 W/ H2166B 15mm,
    H0415S0000E401

^ from the Arkose BOM. Confusingly what I know as the C-40 ACB they also call the no42 in the parts book. It is a 36 degree bearing angle on the crown race, 45 degree on the frame seats.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Hi James,

My 2018 Arkose 4 needs some new rear bearings for its Novatec hub…

Would you know the ones I need? I can always dismantle if not, I’m a) being lazy and b) want a couple more rides before I dismantle!

Thanks!

M

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone know?

swmlon
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the new fork:

Pinnacle Arkose MY19 fork

Will fit a 2018 Arkose? Specs look the same except the dynamo routing which would be useful for me. I know they have another fork that’s stayed as compatible for 2017 models onwards for the same price, minus the dynamo hub routing.

jameso

Fork will fit, yes.
    Mike, bearings, will look up the hub spec asap, need access to folder to check which one.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@jameso,

Don’t worry, I got them out last night and they’re 6902s. Thanks anyhoo!

sboardman

My 2013 Arkose 2 got nicked last week. 🙁 14,000 happy commuting, on road, and off road kilometers gone just like that.

So I could do with a new commuter that C2W friendly. I like the look of the Arkose A8 as hub gears and hydro discs should in theory be pretty maintenance free. Has anyone got one and can comment on the longevity / service interval of the hub as the review online is a bit off putting, but I’m conscious that’s only one data point.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alfine 8 on my 2009 Genesis iOiD (my son is riding it now-I’d love a 29″ version….) and it’s been faultless. Just sensitive to cable stretch that’s all.

sboardman

Thanks @mikertroid! That’s encouraging. Might try and have a test ride to make sure I can cope with the local hills…

luv2ride
    Free Member

Just missed out on an ex-demo Arkose X 2020 from Evans today – still showing in stock at Gatwick warehouse but guy in customer services advised had alread sold 🙁 Spotted it last night but was put off by fact it only came with 1 year frame and fork warranty, and only 3 month for the components. Decided to sleep on it but busy at work so didn’t get chance to order it until I got home (too late!)

Can anyone tell me what the warranty on a new Arkose would be? Couldnt seem to find a site for Pinnacle any longer, and the Evans site didn’t seem to say. Old web posts suggests 5 years frame and forks, or even lifetime frame and forks for original owner?

luv2ride
    Free Member

^ anyone…?

easily
    Free Member

I’ve just had a quick look at the handbook I got with my Arkose. The frame has a ‘limited lifetime warranty’, eg no crashes, not to be used for jumps, etc.
    The rest of the bike seems to have a standard warranty from Evans, that usually means that within the first year its their responsibility to prove why they shouldn’t repair or exchange, after that it’s your responsibility to prove why they should (briefly). Some of the parts have the manufacturers guarantee, which may be better.

If you need more info I’ll take a longer look when I get back from my ride.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Thanks easily, much appreciated. I might pop over to the Cheltenham store tomorrow to test ride a “new” one they have in stock, and hopefully they can give me the full gen on warranty then. The ex demo was a good £300 off rrp, and the stock bikes haven’t had a sniff of a sale price since release so I was gutted I missed it. That said, trading a limited lifetime frame & fork warranty for just 12 months warranty (and only 3 mths for components) is a big step down…

easily
    Free Member

Can you hang on till xmas? There were some pretty good deals last year – I got 300 quid off an Arkose 3 with full warranty.

Clink

@jameso any new Ramin frames on way with ebb? Loved mine but sold as had med and needed lge.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Yeah, not in a massive rush as my older Arkose SS conversion is more than holding its own, so could wait til Xmas. Interesting though that the Arkose X wasn’t amongst the 2020 Pinacles offered with 15% off at Evans a week or so back (was only specific models), so i wasnt holding out much hope it would come down in price over Christmas but you never know. Still stuck between the Arkose X and the Space Chicken, decision may rest on which comes up on offer 1st.

easily
    Free Member

🙂 I bought the Arkose because I couldn’t afford the Tempest Force 1 … maybe in a couple of years.
    I’m really happy with the Arkose. I kind of wish I’d gone for 1×11 rather than 2×11, but it’s a great bike: quick for commuting, fun on the bumpy paths, and terrifying (in a good way) when doing offroad descents.
    One good thing about choosing an Arkose is that jameso is here so often. It’s really helpful having someone who knows the bikes better than anyone who gives his time so readily. Thanks jameso.
    Anyway, you’re looking at two good bikes there – I think you’ll be happy with whichever you choose.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Ended up in Evans’ Bristol branch this morning to pick up a click and collect order, and on my way out saw a Arkose X in large (am sure it didnt show up as in stock when I checked yesterday). Bloody lovely looking thing, the cream finish looks way nicer in the flesh and the tyre clearance looked vast to me with 47mm 650b Byways. Pretty light as well, though the medium I’d need would be slightly lighter 😉 The ultra-flared bars are something else too….not sure I’ll be able to wait until to Xmas/ January sales now

rOcKeTdOg

suggests 5 years frame and forks, or even lifetime frame and forks

5 years is probably lifetime if you read the small print on an alu frame if pinnacle is similar to most manufacturers

lcj

Right. Unexpected finance committee sign off on a new bike found me in Evans today, looking at the D3 and the X.

Whichever I choose is to replace a Scott CR1, which is fast but obviously purely road focussed. The aim is the usual one – i.e. to make off road bits that would be dull on the FS interesting, and link them with road sections. Mix would be 50/50, perhpas a bias to the off road side. All this happening in the Surrey Hills and South Downs.

So which one do I want? I like the lighter weight of the X, the simplicity of the 1x drivetrain and the comfort of the flared bars, but am I limiting myself too much on the road with the smaller wheels?

Thoughts, comments and experience welcome please!

weeksy
    weeksy

Well weirdly that one last night disappeared from Ebay, but isn’t showing as sold but ended, so i guess they have somewhere else they sell things from.

But anyway, this one according to the Pinnacle blurb is more my size anyhow
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113878053972

Just waiting for the seller to come back to me and will potentially buy it for turbo duties. Depends if he’s able to box it up if i sort all that as it’s ball-ache of a drive i don’t greatly fancy making.

provo
    Free Member

There are some Arkose LTD frameset at sale.
    They are stated to be DI2 only but does anyone know if there is a way to get a mechanical groupset on the frame? Perhaps through widening the cable port a bit with a drill?

And what’s the tire clearance with 27.5 tires on this generation of Arkoses? Will these fit something like a Race King 2.2, Ikon 2.2 or similar?

I’m looking to ditch the knobbies on my old Arkose and repurposing it as a winter road bike.

coppice
    Free Member

What are my chances of getting a D2 spec on a D1 or D3 coloured frame… with a long steerer.. and on bike to work?

I’ve been considering the womens spec d2 as the black is just a bit bland for me.

damitamit
    Free Member

Any plan on releasing the Arkose 2020 frameset? If so, when?

festivebonce
    Free Member

I would also be interested to know if/when the Ramin is making a return. Any ideas?

Self confessed Pinnacle fan here – have bought 2 in the last 12 months.

jameso

Sorry, missed a few posts here, been away all of Sept so far.

Ramin 3+ / SS rigid – no current plans for a return sorry. It was a nice bike but always a fringe model and it’s getting harder to get bikes like that into buy plan of a bigger company. Though there has been a lot of interest in Arkose bikepacking set ups in store and I keep saying that the Ramin 3+ was the best ‘packer we made.. so maybe. If we can, we would.

Thanks though festivebonce, keep a few good people (plus me!) busy and paying bills : )

Arkose framesets – all diverted to full bike orders this year sorry, we couldn’t keep the bikes in stock that long. Demand higher than forecasts. Maybe summer 2020.

suggests 5 years frame and forks, or even lifetime frame and forks

5 years is probably lifetime if you read the small print on an alu frame if pinnacle is similar to most manufacturers

Yes, ‘lifetime’ means warrantied against any flaws in manufacture for the realistic life of an Al frame that will fatigue to failure naturally eventually, as they all will. Thing is that timeframe and use is not something we can define or measure, no-one can, so it basically means we’ll look after you if you’ve not abused it, haven’t neglected something, have had it serviced resonably along the way and aren’t trying to fob off the shop guys with a JRA that was really an RTA, etc.

I like the lighter weight of the X, the simplicity of the 1x drivetrain and the comfort of the flared bars, but am I limiting myself too much on the road with the smaller wheels?

The 1x drivetrain is more limiting at speed on the road IME than the tyres – feels gappy and harder to hold a pace if riding with others. But no real problem, the range is good and I’m not too worried about keeping an ideal cadence anyway. I do 100 milers on an Arkose X happily and I doubt my time would be more than a few mins different/quicker if I rode the D series with a 38-45mm tyre. Pop a 32mm road tyre on a D series and it’s a better road bike though, marginally. I really like the flared bars, both widths – the narrower ones are a great all-road compromise and no hindrance at speed on road, the wide ones are my choice for long rides, anything over a full day or 2.

There are some Arkose LTD frameset at sale.
    They are stated to be DI2 only but does anyone know if there is a way to get a mechanical groupset on the frame? Perhaps through widening the cable port a bit with a drill?

And what’s the tire clearance with 27.5 tires on this generation of Arkoses? Will these fit something like a Race King 2.2, Ikon 2.2 or similar?

Clearance is ~52mm tyre max but if you’re prepared to go to under ISO tyre to frame clearances some 2.2 XC / minimal tread tyres will fit. The Arkose has about as much space F and R as any bike with that chainset spec short of the carbon drop-stay bikes, but they tend to be shorter in the rear anyway. It’s got generous clearances.

What are my chances of getting a D2 spec on a D1 or D3 coloured frame… with a long steerer.. and on bike to work?

Low, to be honest. Stock bikes are as they are and the only way to do it would be beer/biscuit bribery of your local store manager maybe, it’d be for them to balance up and sell the non-std spec bike created by the swap over – something else that a bigger company can struggle with. You may get a fair price for a from-new spec swap though, worth asking.

leythervegas
    Free Member

I am very close to placing an order for the 2020 D1 Arkose but keep looking at this Genesis. What do people think I should go for? I love the look of the Genesis but think the Arkose would be maybe a bit lighter with what looks like a better wheelset. Any opinions very much appreciated as well as some photos of your Arkoses.

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-10-2019-bike

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d1-2020-adventure-road-bike-EV339946

avdave2

Ramin 3+ / SS rigid – no current plans for a return sorry

Most bike for the money in my time buying bikes, love mine.

Clink

^ if it’s a large and you want to sell let me know!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

avdave2

Ramin 3+ / SS rigid – no current plans for a return sorry

Most bike for the money in my time buying bikes, love mine.

Still have and use mine for its intended use, awesome for the money ….. starting to look a bit tired now in places and thought about getting it powder coated but cant source any replacement decals otherwise i would

jameso

∆ if your painter can do decals from an Illustrator file or pdf just pm me and I can get you something to use.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.