Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pickenflick or Planet X XLS
  • longsider
    Free Member

Both with very similar spec. New to the cross cycle scene and want to enter some local competitions, for fun ,not with a view to winning a slit in the podium. will also use as a daily commute as well as trails at the weekend. Which would you go for . Pickenflick second hand and xls new but similar price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pickenflick is the more ‘trail’ bike of the two, slightly more relaxed and stable. Xls/xla is the sharper of the two. Cx courses have lots of 180 turns so sharp angles and short wheelbases are an advantage.

And dont underestimate how uncomfortable bikes are to shoulder if they’re not designed for it. Although ive never picked up either.

Splitting hairs though, even a relaxed cx bike is pretty hard work on technical trails, and trying to turn round 180deg repeatedly and accelerate on grass isnt easy on any bike!

longsider
    Free Member

Thanks ‘thisisnotaspoon’ I think I’m leaning towards the Xls.

brant
    Free Member
    longsider
    Free Member

Looking at the rival 1. Website now saying due in 30th October. Was saying mid October yesterday.

mos

I’ve got both. Raced, Commuted & done big miles on the XLS, however i now have a Pickenflick as commuter/gravel type bike & keep the XLS for racing.
    XLS is more race focused & the frame is a bit lighter.
    Pickenflick has better tyre clearance for 38mmish tyres (plus it’s nice & shiny).

XLS is a bit shorter in the top tube for a given frame size (i ride 59cm).

longsider
    Free Member

Thanks . Xls gets branded as aggressive stance. You say you’ve done some big milage on it. How did you find it? Did you need a chiropractor 😀

geomickb
    Free Member

I have an XLA which I guess is similar geometry to the XLS. I use it for everything except when “proper mountain biking”. Comfy enough for the Saturday morning club run.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do some reasonably long rides on my CX bike (CAADX so closer to the XLS/XLA end of things) , obviously there’s less cushioning than an MTB, but between route (and line) choices, hand positions, speed over the ground etc I think it’s less of a beating than a rigid MTB.

Or put another way, if it was a 100 mile ‘gravel’ ride I’d take the CX bike without a doubt. What it loses in comfort it gains in finishing a couple of hours ahead of the MTB.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Be aware of which Pick you buy. I have one from early 2014 and the rear tyre clearance is limited.A 35mm CX tyre leaves very little space around it for mud.No big deal for proper CX but some might find it limiting for rough stuff work if big tyres are the thing. The XLS is lighter but Pick is a nicer ride in many ways.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I bought a Pickenflick early Jan 17. Have done a few CX races for fun but mostly use it as a winter road bike. I occasionally put some big 40mm tyres on it and ride pretty much anywhere I can on my MTB. Mine has Force x1 groupset and some Hunt wheels.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pickenflick or Planet X XLS’ is closed to new replies.