Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Phone replaced under warranty with refurb model
  • davros

Had to return my pixel 4a under warranty direct with Google because the usb port was faulty. They’ve just emailed to say the replacement dispatched is a refurbished model. Is this standard phone industry practice? Not sure I have an issue with it necessarily so long as it’s in as good condition as the one I returned (discounting the fault of course). I just assumed they’d send a new one. And sell the refurbs as refurbs at a discount.

doomanic

How old is your phone? Is it a current model?

davros

Yeah it’s only 3 months only and only released last autumn.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Maybe it’s your own phone they’ve refurbished?

dovebiker

It’s a warranty, not a guarantee and therefore totally discretionary on the whim of Google – if you get your magnifying glass out and read the terms, it probably mentions something about warranty replacements being refurbs.

davros

They only collected it yesterday so I’d be impressed if it was the same one!

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t say I’d be happy with a refurb replacement for something so new but as above it’s likely in the 1000 page T&Cs somewhere

cp

I’ve had a couple of google warranty replacements – they’ve looked, felt & appeared functionally new – battery as well. They come in a box with just a phone & sim pin (and weirdly a microcloth screen wipe), which seems the main difference compared to ‘new’.

scuttler

I’ve bought Apple refurb iPads x 3 (as have friends and family) and you’d have no idea they weren’t new. I expect Google to have similar high standards – mobilesRuz or phonez2u maybe more likely to have a pube stuck to the screen.

winston
    Free Member

My Pixel 3 was replaced directly with google at around 8 months old under warranty (broken camera) and I got a refurb according to the paperwork

However it looked brand new to me – couldn’t tell it was a refurb anyway. Amazingly 2 years later its still working too.

Cougar

Had to return my pixel 4a under warranty

Did you, or did you return it as per your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act?

I know it sounds like I’m splitting hairs, but it’s a subtle but very important difference. You shouldn’t need be touching any warranty here. Did you buy it directly from Google?

Under the CRA the supplier – not the manufacturer – is legally obliged to repair or replace in order to resolve a fault. In the first six months any fault is assumed to be a manufacturing defect unless they can prove otherwise (eg, if you clearly broke it). If this repair / replacement fails or is otherwise unsatisfactory you can then go into refund territory.

Under warranty the manufacturer can do whatever the hell they’ve written into their warranty, including “nothing at all”, so long as they follow their own processes. Any warranty is in addition to your rights, not instead of them.

davros

Thanks all. It was bought from Amazon but when I explained the fault to Google on their live chat and email they sent me the docs to return it directly to them. I didn’t really consider the difference between dealing with them directly rather than going back to Amazon. I’m sure the replacement will be fine, I was just wondering if that’s what happens generally.

lunge

Amazon are very good for returns, I’d drop them a note and see if they’ll replace with a new one.

bearnecessities

Fun story: I’m on my third pixel under warranty having had problems with the usb port going night night. Literally just done swap over in the last hour for the most recent replacement.

Replacement (refurbished) phones have always been indistinguishable from new, but the usb port does appear to have an issue – but being as googling suggests no inherent fault you and I must just share some unluckiness 🙂

mt
    Free Member

Isn’t it fantastic, a refurb.
    Make a change to see this type of kit not being seen as a throw away item. Refurb kit is the way forward in this wasteful world.

xora

Refurb means it has passed more stringient testing than a new one!

tjagain

I suspect that would satisfy your statutory rights as now the retailer has replace / repair / refund as possibilities

Simon

Just had the same experience, Pixel 4 bought from Argos less than a year ago developed a charger port fault. Contacted Google direct via chat and they replaced it with a refurbished Pixel 4 which looks brand new.

feed

Replacement (refurbished) phones have always been indistinguishable from new, but the usb port does appear to have an issue – but being as googling suggests no inherent fault you and I must just share some unluckiness 🙂

Maybe try a different search engine 😀

bearnecessities

That did occur to me as I was typing that out!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Make a change to see this type of kit not being seen as a throw away item. Refurb kit is the way forward in this wasteful world

Isn’t sale of refurbs common? So unlikely to change much?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Phone replaced under warranty with refurb model’ is closed to new replies.