Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PF30 bottom bracket replacement – That’s the right one, or no no you idiot!…
  • flicker
    Free Member

Press fit bottom brackets are a new thing for me and I’m in need of a replacement.

Bike is an alloy 2017 Stumpjumper, standard Raceface Aeffect crankset (24mm crank spindle) with a 73mm 46mmID press fit shell.

The bottom bracket is a Raceface cinch? x type press fit 30. Now the bearings haven’t actually failed however the plastic top hat on the non drive side has partially disintegrated and as far as I can tell these aren’t supplied separately. I want to replace the whole lot for something I can change the bearings on without knocking the cups out of the frame each time.

I’m getting a bit confused with the number of different options, is this the correct hope replacement?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pf46-press-fit-stainless-bottom-bracket/rp-prod118541

(the 73mm – pf46 – 24mm spindle option)

I’ve tried to find the correct ones from Praxis works (don’t seem to list a specific one for raceface 24mm but there is a shimano HT2 version, not sure if that’ll work) or wheels manufacturing.

Any thoughts, wisdom or Ha Ha! you bellend that’ll never work! gratefully received 🙂

tdog
    Free Member

Wheels Manufacturing – comes with all sorts of spacers incl.

plus do a whole range in various sizes & type of quality bearings

cheap too imo

glenh
    Free Member

The spindle is the same size as Shimano, so any pf30 to Shimano should work I think.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Looking at this as I might need one too. The Hope one apparently needs a special tool (£45 if you can find it in stock anywhere) and an adaptor (~£9) to fit it.

mboy
    Free Member

The Hope is great, but needs a special tool to fit too… Gets expensive!

Praxis and Wheels Mfg don’t need special tools, and work equally well…

Your 24mm Raceface crank is the same 24mm standard as Shimano cranks, so anything designed to fit Shimano will work just fine. 👍🏻

flicker
    Free Member

@tdog and @glenh thanks for that, if any 24mm pf30 should fit then i think this should do nicely

Wheels mfg

Hopefully my hollowtech 2 socket should work ok for installation.

@greybeard
    and @mboy, the lack of install tools available is what’s stopped me from committing tbh. Although I’ve watched the Hope install video and a headset press would do the job of pressing the cups in and a short length of hex bar from ebay could be used to screw in the tube. £105 for the bb compared to £50 for the wheels manufacturing one is a bit of a step though.

garage-dweller

My Hope one either creaks like a bastard as a result of small movement/imperfect BB shell or a second set of worn out bearings that haven’t done that many miles and most of them in the dry OR the axle is going on my vintage XT cranks and moving in the BB.

The tool for the Hope PF46 does not need an adapter. I thought it did. I have a useless adapter….

Just be aware that the bearings are about £40 a pair the £19 a bearing price on CRC is each.

As a piece of engineering it looks fab but I’m not 100% convinced it’s capable of staying quiet.

I’m swapping in some other cranks tonight or tomorrow for a test ride. Fingers crossed it’s the cranks as most of the available bb30 BBS seem very expensive or look less than robust

patagonian
    Free Member

I’ve got the Hope – works really well and locks the cups firmly into the BB.
    I didn’t use any special tools, for locking the two halves together I went to the local engineering shop and bought a bolt that had exactly the right sized head to fit the hex shape.

mboy
    Free Member

Just be aware that the bearings are about £40 a pair the £19 a bearing price on CRC is each.

If you buy the genuine Hope replacements… Which are made for them by Enduro Bearings, then yeah…

Or you can buy Enduro’s own branded bearings, which are the same… Part number MR2437, same size as the Trek BB90 FWIW. Anyway… Typically can be had for £15 the pair from your LBS!

@greybeard and @mboy, the lack of install tools available is what’s stopped me from committing tbh. Although I’ve watched the Hope install video and a headset press would do the job of pressing the cups in and a short length of hex bar from ebay could be used to screw in the tube. £105 for the bb compared to £50 for the wheels manufacturing one is a bit of a step though.

You’d be better off with a Press Fit BB press, cheaper and simpler than a headset press. But otherwise agreed, and agreed… I have the genuine tool, but then I did have a bike shop, and I fitted quite a few of these to customers bikes as well as my own. If it was just for my own bike, I’d make do with a cheap press fit BB tool and a pin spanner for the large hex head to be fair.

stgeorge

Wheels Manufacturing +1

garage-dweller

@mboy

Thank you sir! 👍👍👍

flicker
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, learnt a bit tonight. Wheels manufacturing bb bought from bikeparts.co.uk for a whole £38 delivered, I like the look of the hope one but the difference in price is a bit much.

garage-dweller

My Hope one either creaks like a bastard as a result of small movement/imperfect BB shell or a second set of worn out bearings that haven’t done that many miles and most of them in the dry OR the axle is going on my vintage XT cranks and moving in the BB.

And the winner is….the XT crank. Swapped the Race Face ones off the hardtail into the FS and no clicky clicky.

This means 3 things….

1. I probably threw away a perfectly good set of bearings 3 months ago when I thought it was them.

2. I may need to buy some shiny new cranks🤔

3. Previously running the XTs in an almost seized BB because I really wanted to go for a ride may have been an error.

More importantly I wanted to restore the honour of my Hope BB in case someone finds this thread in six months time.

flicker
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, learnt a bit tonight. Wheels manufacturing bb bought from bikeparts.co.uk for a whole £38 delivered, I like the look of the hope one but the difference in price is a bit much.

….and two days later it’s here. Very nice it is too, bargainous for £38 delivered.

All dimensions look good as does the quality.

Hollowtech 2 socket fits well thankfully. A job for saturday morning.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve had a a few Wheels MFG BBs on different bikes and they’ve always been excellent!

I’ll probably put one in the Slash when the Shimano PF dies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PF30 bottom bracket replacement – That’s the right one, or no no you idiot!…’ is closed to new replies.