Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • personal alarms for old / poorly folk – any tips ?
  • scaredypants

this sort of thing:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/mobility-and-independence-at-home/personal-alarms/#Q1
    Has anyone set this sort of thing up? Any recommendations for providers (several seem to exist)

(My parents live very close to us so I can often get there if needed but at least once, my dad’s had a fall and my mum’s been in the garden totally oblivious. Having a means to inform me (or emergency services if necessary) if something happens again is all I’m after really)

donald
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve got one for my Father. Our local authority (East Lothian) organises it and it costs £2 a week. Have a look to see if your council does it.

The only problems we’ve had have been the odd false alarm when he rolls over in bed.

midlifecrashes

Might be worth contacting your (their) council’s Adult Social Care service. They will likely be able to arrange a monitored service and maintain a list of backup keyholders and response team for when you are not available. Very useful for my dad, Middlesbrough have been very helpful. It’s a ton cheaper for councils and the NHS to support people to live independently than in homes or hospital.

jimdubleyou

We have a lifeline 24 from when mum was falling over a lot.

Annual plan was £154 for first year inc £35 set up fee.

A year seems a bit optimistic now seeing as she’s not been out of bed/wheelchair for 3 months…

fossy

Social care should help. My MIL has a necklace with an emergency button. She has used it a few times when she has fallen. Care is out within 15 minutes and ambulance if needed. Unfortunately it’s an airbag issue to get her off the floor as she is very large and paralysed down one side.

We also have an IP camera to check in on her.

jrawarren

Got that exact one for dad. Works very well and the folk at the end of the line are really great & helpful. Only problem is he presses the button when anything goes wrong for him – last call was because he couldn’t find his tablets!!

tjagain

As others have said – see what your council offer and go with their system rather than use a different company. They do work and work well – but rely on a person being able to press them

Other sorts of aids are available as well such as movement sensors and so on.
    Discuss with social services before splashing out

mattyfez

A wrist strap emergency button is the answer. Like a smart watch.

But a smart watch that actually does something important.

scaredypants

cheers all – will try to get the council’s advice before jumping in.
    (IP camera = interesting too)

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

You can also get pressure sensors that may be worth looking at.

My Grandad (sadly in a home but 96 next month so doing well all things considered) has sensors under his mattress that switch on during the times he would normally be in bed.

If he gets up in the night to go the loo he has a set amount of time, if he has a fall and doesn’t get back into bed within that time it triggers an alarm that rings through to the wardens office who come to check on him.

matt_outandabout

My father is in semi-sheltered housing association (no warden full time). We had an issue that he used emergency button, which dialled helpline. Unfortunately this blocked the intercom and line to help centre from door lock downstairs., so that when the paramedic arrived they were outside for nearly 15 minutes until another resident answered their shouts and let them in. Paramedics were already on phone to police to break in…

The system installers have been totally unsympathetic, and housing association is now looking to install new system throughout the block of 50 flats…

Choose the system carefully.

tjagain

woolybackpaul – thats a new one on me – sounds like an excellent system.

scaredypants

resurrecting, as I’ve been on the council website

Anyone know about / have experience of Argenti Telecare ?
    They seem to offer things much as woolybackpaul mentioned (bed/chair occupancy sensors) as well as a button to carry or wear

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘personal alarms for old / poorly folk – any tips ?’ is closed to new replies.