Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Percentage of the population insulated from ‘the news’
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

that is what i love about riding bikes. For one, two maybe 4 hours i can disconnected from the world, if people need me urgently, they’ll need to ring me till i answer it..

the crap i get alerted on my phone from sky news or footy apps, i really dont care if a random bloke playing for a mid table spanish club is injured or rumoured to be signing for a mediocre london club.

and yes the news has its agenda and is depressing..
    prime example the recent election all biased one way or the other, when 80% of the general population is in the middle ground. certain channels banged on about corbyn, he was a no hope’r from the start far too radical..

hodgynd
    Free Member

I haven’t read most of the replies..but I would be part of that percentage..
    I’m out too early on a morning ..back too late on an evening to listen to any dedicated news channel ..dont listen to radio programmes during the day..and the only snippets of news I get are online via this phone ..
    On my days off..I’m much too busy relaxing to be arsed about what might be going on in the world outside of my own..and happier for it ..
    Dont vote ..dont get involved in any political debates..have my own views on religion..but having taken a load of abuse on one religious thread on here..have avoided all others..
    Generally ..I cant understand why people get so wound up about things that they have little to no chance of changing ..

jimdubleyou

I think that being well informed is the responsibility of all humans. Despite what you might think, you do have the power to influence policy – by writing to your elected representatives, or donating to a cause or whatever.

To pick up on an earlier post – just because climate change is hitting the Aussies first, doesn’t mean it won’t be here shortly.

I recommend “The Week” magazine if you want a precis rather than being swamped by it everyday…

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m not sure if that reply was in response to my own ..however ..
    I’m as informed as I want to be ..lead my life on my terms ..but what raised a laugh was that you actually believe that ” my appointed representative ” has the power to change anything..he is just a very small cog in a much larger mechanism ..as previously said ..I’m happy in my own little world without being affected by outside influences ..thanks.

kcr
    Free Member

It’s clearly bad for those involved, it’s obviously devastating, at least in the short term, for wildlife, and is probably a bad sign for the planet.
    BUT how does knowing this make one woman on the other side of the world in any better/worse situation than not knowing?

If you avoid consuming news, how do you know if you are missing something important that does materially affect you?

As world affairs go, was it really the only thing happening between BJ getting elected and Trump assisinating Iranian Generals?

Of course not, the poster used the words “For example…”. There was lots of other news reported over Christmas and the New Year.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve lost patience with the BBC thanks to their un-representative employment of minorities. I’ve no objection to the staff (except that that Ade Adepitan bloke irritates me) but I really do think the BBC goes too far with its virtue-signalling. Used to watch the BBC1 morning news but that’s been dumbed right down to a silly chat and giggles show. So my only source of news is R4 in the car and as soon as Brexit is mentioned I usually switch left to R3.

Trimix
    Free Member

There does seem to be a perfect storm now.

The digital age has spawned loads of channels, all shouting for our attention as this is how they are funded. So News has to grab our attention and sell ad space.

We are mostly viewing it on a tiny screen. News has to also compete with everything else trying to grab our attention via the tiny screen.

Attention spans are measured in seconds, screen size only works for headlines, no one reads anything with more than a few sentances.

Soon you realise you are powerless and overwhelmed by stuff you have no impact on. Unless of course you own Google or FB etc.

convert

Why do you presume that the story you do know about, which happens to be from a commonwealth country, where white English speaking people predominate, and that is well connected digitally is THE news story she should know about? As world affairs go, was it really the only thing happening between BJ getting elected and Trump assisinating Iranian Generals? Or had much of the media decided they deserved two weeks off?

As has already been said, the words ‘for example’ that you quoted seem to have passed you by.

Regardless, as someone who spent a year working there in her early adulthood (mostly in the areas most burnt) and who has 5 or 6 friends that have emigrated there more recently (one of whom it now emerges was sheltering on a beach before getting evacuated off by boat leaving their home to its fate) it might have been of some interest.

I do find the attitude expressed by many that if it does not immediately make a difference to their day to day life they don’t need to know somewhat surprising. I have a desire to consume too much information to operate like that. I don’t watch QI (or more frequently list to No such thing as a fish or similar) because I NEED to know all that interesting drivel but because I want to. Same with the news I guess; I want to be informed regardless of if I need to or not. Apart from being up to speed with the news I believe makes me a better member of the community too.

I also don’t think I am challenged by the mental health concerns others feel they have with hearing the news. Maybe I’m just a cold hearted bastard and can more easily decentre what is happening to me and what is just happening that I am keen to know about but not emotionally involved with. I do get that for the last few years the politically based news has been on repeat and could be a massive turn off.

scotroutes

Don’t watch telly, don’t listen to chat radio, don’t buy newspapers. Too sick of bias and inaccuracy, even from the “respected” BBC.

I get an occasional update from my chrome browser whenever I open a new tab and might follow up if something piques my interest. Strangely enough, most other “news” comes through this forum. I appreciate the effort some folk go to in order to present their argument, whether or not I agree with it. (e.g. Mefty in the EU thread}.

I’m still better informed than most of the folk I meet – unless you count what’s happening in specific sports, TV shows and general celebrity gossip,none of which interest me and I regard as misdiection technique so that those in power are not held to account.

edhornby

I’d imagine that the news consumption would be via the stuff you don’t realise, like walking past a newspaper display in a shop, the conversations in work, the newsfeed on a browser homepage, the car radio, the free paper on the bus/train, advertising all over the internet that has a political angle, as well as all the social media. We’ve just been through a GE so the in-work discussion is a big player.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I was talking about this with a friend recently. When I was a kid I used to watch the 6 o’clock news on BBC with my parents. They didn’t buy a paper so that was the only source of news we had in those pre-internet times. It was ok, it kept you abreast of the big things going on and the local news at the end was useful too for your region.
    I don’t do twitter or Facebook and just look at the BBC website once a day just like my parents did watching that 6 o’clock bulletin. If something is interesting I might google it and find out a bit more but not very often. So I think that’s a good balance.
    Before the election I engaged a bit more and went on a hunt for info about the people I could vote for in my constituency as I don’t have any particular allegiance. Found the guy that was in had been in for 3 decades and was actually pretty despised in the local area but it was a XXXXXX stronghold so he was guaranteed to keep his seat. I voted for the other chap as he had always lived in the area and had a good reputation as a businessman and supporter of local initiatives. Unfortunately he didn’t get in but the majority was reduced!

So I think I’ve got a good balance overall. The good thing is that if I want any more info I can easily get it which want the case when I was a teenager.

ayjaydoubleyou

I was talking about this with a friend recently. When I was a kid I used to watch the 6 o’clock news on BBC with my parents. They didn’t buy a paper so that was the only source of news we had in those pre-internet times. It was ok, it kept you abreast of the big things going on and the local news at the end was useful too for your region.
    I don’t do twitter or Facebook and just look at the BBC website once a day just like my parents did watching that 6 o’clock bulletin. If something is interesting I might google it and find out a bit more but not very often. So I think that’s a good balance.

was with the parents in law over Xmas, they insisted on watching the news (as they do every night) to “know whats going on in the world”.

Every item I had already heard that day, via car radio, phone news app, Facebook and this place. The ones I cared about I knew more information than a five minute TV article could display. Something I didn’t care for, (may have been football) I’d taken in the headline and swiped past in less than a second.

weeksy

Does not buy or read a newspaper
    Does not watch the news on TV (very very rarely watches live tv so would rarely accidentally watch it either because it happens to be on)
    Does not listen to radio 4 (I listen avidly though mainly with headphone when she is in)
    Consumes all her music via Spotify so does not even hear what passes for the news on a music channel
    Never goes to a news based website like the BBC

This forum is my only ‘news’

I go to the BBC but only ‘football’ never anywhere else.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t think I know anyone who avoids/misses the news like that. “Did you see QT last night” has almost replaced “did you see hollyoaks”, although that might just be my own demographic shift.

OTOH, if you went to live in a cave for the next 3 years. And emerged to find that brexit and WW3 had happened, Putin succumbed to old age and a heart attack, Bernie was president but Boris was still PM. All things that individually you might have thought were massive news if you’d been aware when they happened. But then you go to the supermarket and a bottle of milk and loaf of bread is still £2.50.

It’s nice to think “you have to be aware of current events, and vote etc because it really does matter”, when in reality stuff happens, and neither impacts you, nor do you have any ability to have an impact on it. The news is a one way conversation.

kcr
    Free Member

…when in reality stuff happens, and neither impacts you, nor do you have any ability to have an impact on it

You really have to have avoided all news for the past 3 or 4 years if you believe that.

scotroutes

I don’t think I know anyone who avoids/misses the news like that. “Did you see QT last night” has almost replaced “did you see hollyoaks”

QT became Hollyoaks several years ago when they started inviting guests and audiences designed to cause gossip and controversy. That’s why I stopped watching it. It’s all Lowest Common Denominator stuff now.

funkmasterp

It’s virtually impossible not to hear about large events. I don’t read, listen to or watch the news yet I know about the fires in Australia and the drone assassination of an Iranian General. Unless you live in a cave you’ll hear about it whether you want to or not.

Actively going out of my way to find out the above would’ve had no effect on my day to day life if I’m being honest. Reading about it wouldn’t somehow make it have an impact. Of course I care about these things, but I doubt writing a stern letter to my local MP will do anything. Maybe I’m apathetic it cynical.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

kcr

…when in reality stuff happens, and neither impacts you, nor do you have any ability to have an impact on it

You really have to have avoided all news for the past 3 or 4 years if you believe that.

Enlighten me.

Actually I’ll save you the bother, I did actually get made redundant in the tail end of the financial crash, about 10 days after the referendum result. So yes it did affect me. But I was working in quite a niche and the company was taken over (and getting ready to be sold again as it turned out) so not unexpected. But crucially, there was nothing I could do about it. No amount of news watching or voting would have impacted it, the oil price was simply too low, and we weren’t going to be in Europe.

To most of the population Brexit is probably the biggest thing that will happen in the news and the coming decade will probably mean a few percent worse off spread over a decade. Based on a 1 hour new bulletin, and 4 years of news so far (including the preceding campaign) that’s 1460 hours of watching the news. If you ignored the news and worked overtime instead that’s about 75% of a working year, or a 20% pay rise. The number of people who will be 20% worse off after Brexit is going to be a very small number (albeit I suspect it’ll be a similar number that’s 100% worse off).

Watch the news and stress, or just get on with life?

I still watch the news (and QT, and this week, and Andrew Marr, and listen to R4 in the car), but I no longer stress over it. Which ironically probably means I’m less likely to be part of a heart attack statistic on the news at some point.

kcr
    Free Member

Enlighten me

We’re leaving the EU because 52% of the people who voted in the referendum chose Leave.
    We have a Conservative government with a big majority because voters swung decisively away from Labour in previously Labour-held constituencies.

I think those outcomes are clear examples of how individuals have the ability to “impact stuff that happens”, and I think it is important that people inform themselves about the news if they are making decisions of such significance.
    From the various news sources that I’ve read and listened to, I don’t think Brexit will just mean “…a few percent worse off spread over a decade”. Not by a long shot.

funkmasterp

We’re leaving the EU because 52% of the people who voted in the referendum chose Leave.
    We have a Conservative government with a big majority because voters swung decisively away from Labour in previously Labour-held constituencies.

I think those outcomes are clear examples of how individuals have the ability to “impact stuff that happens”, and I think it is important that people inform themselves about the news if they are making decisions of such significance.

I think that all probably happened from people reading biased news and believing it. How many people do you think will read a few different papers or watch news from several sources? I honestly don’t think many people will. What you’re ideal would need is for people to be well educated in the first place in order for them to go and research what they’re being told. I don’t partake of the news, yet voted to stay in the EU. If I’d read the news would we magically be staying a part of Europe?

poly
    Free Member

I think those outcomes are clear examples of how individuals have the ability to “impact stuff that happens”

You might disagree if you were one of the 48% or the 58% that didn’t vote for those outcomes (or the 62% / 75% in Scotland that didn’t vote for that). I can write to my MP but on many points she would agree but be powerless to change it.

Now of course TINAS’s point is barring a nuclear war, it’s quite likely that in a generation the only things that actually change noticeable to the populous are things like how often the bins get emptied, or which size of wheel we should all be riding.

CountZero

I don’t read newspapers, I occasionally catch the early evening news, mainly I like to try to watch the local BBC news just because it’s local, and I’ve given up on Fb, never bothered much with Twitter and have no involvement with other social media, apart from here.
    However, I do read a lot of news from a whole bunch of sources, from all over the world, via the feeds I get through Flipboard, which I spend quite some time going through. That way I see what the rest of the world is talking about, I get feeds from Al Jazeera, Washington Post, LA Times, The Guardian, (US, UK and Australia), news from India and plenty of other places, which is far more than one would get from just UK tv news or newspapers.
    I also get lots of science and technology news as well, which keeps me informed about lots of fascinating developments globally, particularly in energy and environment – for example, there’s some rather exciting developments in battery tech, with Lithium/Sodium as the main components. Early days, but the system is cheaper and safer than Li-ion, and hints at 650+ mile range from an EV, for an example.
    To isolate oneself from what is going on in the world one lives in strikes me as being rather narrow-minded and parochial – if all humans adopted that way of looking at things, we’d still be living in the Dark Ages.
    And no, what’s going on globally doesn’t depress me as such, it just makes me angry and frustrated that there are so many startlingly stupid people in positions of power, who do and say such stupid things, but there’s still so much to find out about that gives hope for the future, and anyway, I was brought up by my folks, my dad in particular, to have an enquiring mind. Just a shame he died when I was thirteen, there’s so much more I could have learned from him – he survived being a Japanese PoW, but never said anything to me that would have poisoned my opinion of the Japanese as a people as I got older, for which I’m very grateful.

kcr
    Free Member

You might disagree if you were one of the 48% or the 58% that didn’t vote for those outcomes

I didn’t vote for either of those outcomes.
    Whether I agree or disagree with the results doesn’t matter, but they prove that individual actions do make a difference, and if people are making those decisions without informing themselves, that also matters.

Trimix
    Free Member

Being able to vote does make you feel special, a bit like being the active ingrediant in a hmeopathy remedy.

Edukator
    Free Member

Lithium/Sodium as the main components. Early days, but the system is cheaper and safer than Li-ion, and hints at 650+ mile range from an EV, for an example.

Link please, because everything vaguely serious (non DM) I’ve read says that those claims are fantasy. The major problem to be overcome being a very low number of charge cycles.

This is the problem with news sources in 2020, sifting real news from fake news and utter bollocks.

Coyote
    Free Member

QT became Hollyoaks several years ago when they started inviting guests and audiences designed to cause gossip and controversy. That’s why I stopped watching it. It’s all Lowest Common Denominator stuff now.

I couldn’t agree more! It’s become entertainment rather informative. Bit like a Victorian Saturday morning down the asylum. Plus which, how much air time can they give to Farage? Question Time became an irrelevance a long, long time ago.

footflaps

QT: four racists, a nut job and someone vaguely sensible answer questions on something controversial; it’s just become the ‘Daily Mail’ of TV shows.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I didn’t vote for either of those outcomes.
    Whether I agree or disagree with the results doesn’t matter, but they prove that individual actions do make a difference, and if people are making those decisions without informing themselves, that also matters.

Your preposition is that if only people had watched the correct news they might have reached the correct decision in your view.

I voted remain and supourt center/left politics. But even Id get irked by that insult, mostly because the 52% would say exactly the same, if only the news/politics reflected them more then they wouldnt feel the need to stick 2 fingers up at it and vote for change.

From the various news sources that I’ve read and listened to, I don’t think Brexit will just mean “…a few percent worse off spread over a decade”. Not by a long shot.

Some stuff will change, some stuff will be the same. Some sheep farmers will go out of business. More people might go into fishing. Realistically big ticket things like the car factories will probably remain (those parts are coming form all over europe then the cars go back, playing silly bugers would hurt everyone).

The net result will be bit lower spending power, your XT crankset will cost a bit more relatively, your holliday will cost a bit more, but it wont look like Mad Max.

kcr
    Free Member

Your preposition is that if only people had watched the correct news they might have reached the correct decision in your view.

No. I’m saying that a lot of people made a decision without making any attempt to consume credible news (and they were quite happy to admit that).

If people choose to insulate themselves from a range of real, difficult news that you have to think about, then we start opening the door to manipulation by crude propaganda. If you read the news, you’ll know that’s already happening:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44966969

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m saying that a lot of people made a decision without making any attempt to consume uncomfortable news (and they were quite happy to admit that).

If people choose to insulate themselves from a range of real, difficult news that you have to think about, then we start opening the door to manipulation by crude propaganda. If you read the news, you’ll know that’s already happening:

I’ve tweaked that slightly, read it back in the context of if being written by an imaginary leave voter in Stoke, who feels similarly clued up about how the media and politics works aimed at a perceived “London elite” remainer. Note that they doesn’t believe that everyone in London is the elite, or that everyone who’s better off than them is listened to by those in power. But one way or another, there’s been a disparity that means that their demographic equal in London get a shed load more investment in infrastructure and probably made more money on their house price (which is really a function of that infrastructure investment creating economic growth and jobs) than their pension is worth.

They see it as a fact that the news and politics benefits London. Kine crime in London is being dealt with, HS2 is going to London, London’s flood defenses are being discussed, London tube drivers are on strike for more pay. Meanwhile the murder rate in Stoke hasn’t been a political topic in forever, HS2 is bypassing them, the town center is underwater again, they’ve not seen wage inflation in a decade and can only dream of actually having functional public transport to go on strike.

Ok, so they poked the wrong thing in the eye, but they were given a stick and they damn well had to poke something.

Or to put it another way, in the most cataclysmic Brexit imaginable, London will still be doing better than Stoke was before Brexit.

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats a good point.

Knowing the news and not knowing it pretty much wont change your crapy life other than being depressed by the bad news.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Percentage of the population insulated from ‘the news’’ is closed to new replies.