Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Pentlands amble thread follow-up: Sunday 11th Oct. (not 10th!)
  • robgarrioch

dg – will post up a separate(ish) thread later in the week, this one's gettin' too busy! Wont have quite as much time available, but enough for a useful spin (+ the g/f's getting suspicious, all this time spent with a group of panting, sweaty bikers!?)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member
    Myself and a mate will be going out tomorrow night so will try and get to the shop for half six.

Hi Steven, I dont think we've met. Is it ok if I come along? How long are you planning on being out for?

kennyp
    Free Member

There are about 4 or 5 of us meeting at the Bonaly shop at 6.30. Anyone who wants to tag along is welcome. I plan to be out for a couple of hours, though 2 of the folk (training for the Puffer) might do something a bit more.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Cheers Kennp! See you there.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We are generally out for about 2-3 hours, sometimes more riding and less chat, sometimes more chat and less riding. I'll be on a red tinbred and my mate has a white P7.

kennyp
    Free Member

Okay, see whoever turns up tomorrow at 6.30 at Bonaly Shop.

Kit
    Free Member

I'll not be there now. Going to do my own thing straight after work – might see you out there though!

And photos from Saturday's ride:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/saturdays-pentlands-stw-ride-photos

AntM
    Free Member

I'd love to make it but it's a bit too early for me, picking up & feeding kids etc. might be out later and our paths might cross…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Might be up there tonight myself as well, although probably a bit later and starting from Balerno. Probably be on my Inbred so if you see a red one then say hello.

Was up last night as well but only saw one other bike.

kennyp
    Free Member

Turned out there were 10 of us in total. Lovely mild night with no wind, and a cracking ride over Puke Hill, Harbour Hill, Maidens, Green Cleuch, Black Hill, Nail Trail, Lymphoy Rd, Chocolate Chute, Water of Leith and back to Colinton. Good to see a few folk we've never met before.

I did get a bit of stick when I rolled in home after 10, when I'd said I'd be back by 8.30, however it was such a mild night it would have been criminal to waste it.

Kit
    Free Member

I discovered I had a broken pedal when I left work so no night ride for me 🙁

Glad it was good for you though!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hi Kenny – thanks for the great route (and the weather – how'd you manage to arrange that?). I cant believe I've been cycling past some of those bits and not known they were there.

It was great to meet everyone and have a good chat (on the easier bits).

Cheers Steve for the improvised 'bar mounted shock absorber for DX bike lights' (aka a chunky velcro strap).

daveb
    Free Member

Good ride last night, had never done the Nail trail part before so that was a good experience. Good to meet some of the people from on here 🙂

Nice route, only two mechanicals (two punctures, not bad for a group of ten riders) and excellent weather.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Turned out there were 10 of us in total. Lovely mild night with no wind, and a cracking ride over Puke Hill, Harbour Hill, Maidens, Green Cleuch, Black Hill, Nail Trail, Lymphoy Rd, Chocolate Chute, Water of Leith and back to Colinton. Good to see a few folk we've never met before.

I was down at Harlaw when you chaps were going round Harbour Hill towards Maidens (looked to me like you were on the quad bike track at the time). Looked very impressive seeing all those lights!

Northwind

Where are Nail Trail and Chocolate Chute? Is Nail Trail what Druidh's map calls Riggs singletrack?

kennyp
    Free Member

Nail Trail is a lovely, very long, bit of singletrack that runs from the Riggs Rd down into Balerno. The start is a bit tricky to find (it's a plank across a ditch) but at night it's my favourite bit of trail in the Pentlands.

The Chocolate Chute is a short, steep, rooty section between the Lymphoy Rd and the Water of Leith path.

Epicsteve, yeah, that was almost certainly us. We took the track round the north side of Harbour Hill to the top of Maidens.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I had a great time last night, thanks everybody. Just about makes up for the fact that my other bike was stolen from my shed last night, glad I left the Tinbred in the van over night. The missing one is an Orange E6 fully rigid singlespeed (who the **** would want to steal that) that has seen a lot of use and abuse. It is much missed already. If you could your eyes peeled evrybody, thanks. Steven

Northwind

Cool, cheers Kennyp, I'll have a look next time I'm out instead of coming down poet's glen. I think I know where Chocolate Chute is from your description, if it's the same bit I'm thinking of it's very nice indeed.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

is there not a map somewhere listing all the trail names and juicy bits?

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands amble thread follow-up: Sunday 11th Oct. (not 10th!)’ is closed to new replies.